Mondial 3.2 cabrio door clearance to floor | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 cabrio door clearance to floor

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cabrio_fan, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    I'm currently shopping for an enclosed car hauler trailer that will initially move me across country but will eventually be used to transport my future Mondial Cabriolet 3.2 (i.e. 1986 to 1988).

Would a Mondial owner be so kind as to measure the clearance from the bottom of the open car door to the floor? I'm looking for a trailer model with the street side escape door and I'd prefer that the Mondial's doors can clear the trailer wheel wells and into the escape door area without purchasing ramp overs for the trailer wheel wells.

Any Mondial owners out there with enclosed car haulers that either work very well or not at all for you? I'd be appreciative to hear of experiences either way.

Mike

2. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    I just thought about suspension and wheels after I posted my question. I'll probably be changing out the wheels down the road but for the purpose of this question, I'll assume stock suspension and wheel size for the question about clearance from the ground to the bottom of the doors. Also, any thoughts about deck height of the trailer? I've been looking at trailers with deck height ranging anyway from 17" to 21" AGL ("Above ground level" for the non-pilots) but with the same 6.5" high ramp door with the same 18" (approx) beavertail extension. Any problems with ramp clearance for the Mondial owners?

Thanks again-

Mike

3. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    My t Cab came with a ground clearance of less than 100 mm. Barely streatable. I now have it at 125 mm. Changing the height is quite easy due to the "Gewindefahrwerk" (what´s the English name for it ...?).

4. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Thanks AR.

Altavista Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/) translates that word to "Thread chassis". I'm not sure what that is referring to.

Also, didn't the Mondial t have adjustable ride controls on the console and the Mondial QV and 3.2 have "fixed" non-adjustable?

Thanks-

Mike

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The "threaded chassis" is referring to the fully threaded body of the shock/strut tube. Which in turn allows for spring perch adjustment.

Spring perch adjustment allows for ride-height adjustment (and aids in corner balancing the chassis).

The electronically adjustable suspension on the Mondial line is for shock compression/rebound. Not for ride-height.

My Mondial will not go up ANY ramp easily. But its set pretty low on the spring perches.

6. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Thanks for clearing this up. I was referring to the adjustable spring perches.

What is the ground clearance of your T?

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    "What is the ground clearance of your T?"

4 inches - about 100mm

8. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Just measured my '88 3.2 cab.

11.3" from open door bottom to floor.

The sides clear the floor by 4.5" at the front and 5.3" at the rear. Should this be flat (meaning the car is "front low") or is this normal?

9. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Awesome. Thanks much. Just what I was looking for.

As to the difference in the front and the rear, I can't say. From photos I've seen, it appears to "slope" a small degree to the front but that may be my imagination.

Thanks again.

Mike

10. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    As to the adjustable spring perches, is that something exclusive to the t or is it shared with the earlier 8, QV, and 3.2?

Mike

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Note that if you aftermarket with the wheels you may (most likely) will increase the GC slightly..esp if you upsize the rim diameter and still want enough rubber to prevent bending when you hit a pothole.

12. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    I went shopping for a car hauler that will hopefully (knock on wood) accomodate my future Mondial cab nicely. I ended up getting a 28 foot by 8.5 foot wide Interstate Supercoach Car Carrier tag (bumper pull) trailer. It's a 10,000lb GVW trailer, tandem torsion axles, chrome wheels, and the new LED lights for my tail lights and side marker lights (man, are those BRIGHT).

http://www.interstatewest.com/supercoach.html

It has the beavertail backend (sloped deck) to the cargo deck and a nice long ramp with the flip out end piece. White exterior, plywood walls and floors for now. I think it will do the trick very nicely. The trailer was probably a little nose high when I measured the back deck height above ground but it was about 15.5 inches from the ground to the deck where the ramp meets the deck. Nice. One of the nice features I found on Interstate that I didn't find on my #2 choice (Pace American) was the corner "flow through vents" to vent the vehicle fumes..... not that F-cars produce any, right? :)

Andy---- thanks again for measuring your door clearance for me!!! That helped a LOT!! You won't believe how many car haulers have 11 inch and 12 inch high wheel wells inside. The one I got has 9 inch high wheels wells.

Unfortunately, I'm aware of only one Mondial cab owner in my local area that could "test out" loading a Mondial into my new trailer. He's not on F-chat last I new and I don't know him well enough to ask him. (Hi Don, it's not you -- I remember you traded yours in for your beautiful 456.)

99% of all my towing has been fifth wheel so this should be interesting to transition to bumper pull. I've been advised to look into a combination weight distribution/anti-sway hitch system as the bumper pull will not pull the same as my old fifth wheel I understand.

I should be picking up the trailer this weekend. Wish me luck! And if you're on I-5 between Seattle, WA and Portland, OR this weekend (look out... he he he), honk if you see a white Silverado pulling a white Interstate.

Happy trails!

13. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Mike,

Congrats! Looks like a nice unit. You could haul lots of things with that....

When do you pick up the 3.2 Cab?

14. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The 3.2s and earlier do not have adjustable perches. Adjustable perch Koni shocks are available.
    The 3.2s do sit at a slight rake due to both rear suspension height and different stock tire sizes (205 and 225).
    The ground clearance of 3.2s to the rear jack point on my stock US car was about 5.5 to 5.75 inches depending on loading (Euro models have different rear springs, and I think are lower slightly - I think the higher US setting is due to a bumper height requirement). The stock front is about 4.5 inches to the jack point on mine, with v. sl. taller front tires than stock. These are consistant with abarre's measurement's.

The wheel size does not matter in the ride height so much as the tire diameter - about 25.7 inches usually on the rear, but varies sl. by manufacturer. Nice charts on the tire rack website for each tire under the specifications section. As example a 245/45-17 rear gives an approximately identical diameter and ride height.

Hope this helps.

Very nice trailer!

best
    rt

15. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Thanks Andy. Yes, I agree. It's going to haul our household goods from Portland to Florida in a few weeks. The 3.2 cab is still a little ways out. But that's okay because I have my big decision in front of me still......

Red over tan hides
    ~or~
    Red over black hides

Man. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I like the look of red over black but we're moving to Florida so my other half says I better do red over tan or I'll be sorry the first time I leave the car out in the sun and want to go for a spin. Me thinks black leather would be a little toasty on the tushie. :)

16. cabrio_fan

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    Thanks rt. Good info on the 3.2 ride highth. Nice wheels on your F-car by the way. Are you pretty happy with them? Nice looking ride. I can't wait until I get mine.

Mike