CD Burning question . | FerrariChat

CD Burning question .

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by hps, Jul 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Hey all ;

Just got a new Compaq Presario PC, and it has a CD / DVD RW on it.
    I tried inserting a CD I was working on, with a lot of photos on it, that was created on an IBM machine. I can view the photos, but cannot edit them, rename them, or move them on that disc.
    I keep getting a message saying the disc is "read only", and I cannot rename the files or move them, or edit them.

Anyone have an idea of waht I am doing wrong ? The help tutorial is not of much help.

Thanks in advance !!
    hps

2. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In essence, the disk is "read only" because it was burned to the disk. just copy and paste the file to a new folder or existing folder then use the transferred files in the new folder for editing etc... also you cannot add anything to the disk because essentially the disk has been finalized. so no further writing or moving to the disk is possible.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    That's what i never understood about rewriters... If it's a rewriter, how come it can't rewrite on an already written disc...? That always frustrated me...

4. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree w/ Michael. It sounds like the recording session was closed / finalized.

Regards,
    Chris

5. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Keep in mind that a CD Rewriter can ONLY rewrite things to CD-RW media(the most expensive kind). If the CD you put is in a normal CD, or a CD-R, you won't be able to rewrite it, only read the data, or add to it if it's not full(CD-R).

HTH.

-DC

6. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael
    See, now you got me thinking about building yet another computer again....I call it keeping up with the computer jones'. I've built at least one a year since 1997. Thanks for making the bug bite me yet again.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Fchat is great for all of your 'burning' questions