Exhaust Legislation | FerrariChat

Exhaust Legislation

Discussion in 'New England' started by zan, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    I found this on another site, any thoughts on this, and how it will affect us?
    Mark

Massachusetts Aftermarket Exhaust Law (H.B. 1722) E-Mail Campaign! WE NEED YOUR HELP!
    URGENT! PLEASE READ!
    THIS AFFECTS ALL OF US!
    URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)

It's Not Dead Yet!

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Continues to Move through Legislature Although we thought we had successfully stalled this bill in the Committee on Public Safety earlier this year, a bill (H.B. 1722) to ban the sale or installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust" continues to move though the Massachusetts Legislature. It has not been revised from last year's version and remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation.

After months of inactivity, H.B. 1722 was recently approved by the Massachusetts House Rules Committee and has now been re-referred to the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee. If recommended for passage by this committee, the bill will be scheduled for a vote on the floor of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. It is important that we act in force again in order to (finally) defeat this bill before it has the opportunity to progress further.

Call, E-Mail or Fax the Members of the Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 1722!

I will be writing my own letter on behalf of my store, customers, and fellow companies, I'm asking that BMS pulls together, and emails every single person below a properly written formal letter.

The arguments remain the same, cut and paste this to them if you like:

* H.B. 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions. Increasing gas mileage in these already tough times, with high gas prices!

* H.B. 1722 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation. A standard noise limit (dB test) should be established.

* H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

* H.B. 1722 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options (stainless steel, titanium).

Please call or e-mail the members of the Steering and Policy Committee (See List Below) today to oppose this legislation! This bill tramples on the rights of ALL vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts.

House Steering, Policy, and Scheduling Committee:

Rep. Paul Kujawski
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    Telephone: 617-722-2960
    Facsimile: 617-722-2846

Rep. Benjamin Swan
    Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Louis Kafka
    Telephone: 617-722-2305
    Facsimile: 617-722-2598

Rep. Ellen Story
    Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Christine Canavan
    Telephone: 617-722-2320
    Facsimile: 617-722-2339

Rep. John Fresolo
    Telephone: 617-722-2960

Rep. Peter Kocot
    E-Mail Address: [email protected]
    Telephone: (617) 722-2575

Rep. James Eldridge
    Telephone: 617-722-2060

Rep. Joyce Spiliotis
    Telephone: 617-722-2090

Rep. Brad Hill
    Telephone: 617- 722-2489

Rep. Elizabeth Poirier
    Telephone: 617-722-2976
    Facsimile: 617-626-0108

Thank you for your help, I'm hoping we can make a difference for our already heavily moderated state.

-Brian

508-279-0700

Last edited by TheDriversSeat on 06-11-2004 at 11:23 AM

2. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Hey mark i thought it was already illegal for any aftermarket exhaust in MA.

I hear there is a loophole in the proposed legislation.
    The regulations do not apply to vehicles;

(A) painted pink
    or (B) have same sex occupants with at least ten (10) cans tied to rear bumper
    or (C) are registered in provincetown

Another reason to live in the peoples republik.
    T

3. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    This bill has been threatening to pass for about 4 years now I beleive, but always get shut down. There is no way they can pass it as what would cars that need replacement mufflers do? And it would get revoked since many aftermarket exhaust systems are actually more effiecient and cleaner then stock systems. I would not worry too much about it.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    FYI: Was at Hampton Beach last week and they had MANY police officers waving over ALL motorcyclists and checking their exhaust systems and verifying ownership. Seems they were cracking down on illegal/loud exhaust systems on motorcycles. Just a heads up warning guys.

5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    So this on newscenter 5 last night, Also one of the Resources links is:enjoythedrive.com

Residents Aim To Muzzle Loud Mufflers
    Drivers Say Souped Up Pipes Harmless Fun

POSTED: 11:43 am EDT July 13, 2004
    UPDATED: 3:50 pm EDT July 13, 2004

BOSTON -- Whether you live in the city or suburbs, it's likely you've heard the less than dulcet sounds of loud, souped up cars.

Resources
    State Laws
    enjoythedrive.com
    intricatelines.com
    louscustomexhaust.com

NewsCenter 5's Anthony Everett reported that car and truck owners are installing customized exhaust systems, and the noise has some people fighting mad, even some in the Legislature.

David Smith of Brighton said he hates the loud mufflers that some drivers install to increase exhaust noise, and said he's being driven out of his neighborhood by the incessant rumbling, especially from a Dodge Ram pickup across the street from his house.

"It's a public safety issue in the sense that the faster you go, the louder these mufflers are. It also leads to, encourages, reckless driving to endanger -- peeling out, burning rubber," said Smith.

"I like the noise, that's it, nothing major, to hear the noise, that's all," said Elias Galouzis, who has a loud muffler.

Smith isn't the only one who is outraged. A bill to ban aftermarket sale and installation of modified exhaust systems that increase noise levels is moving through the state Legislature. That has enthusiasts, manufacturers and system installers all cranked up.

Brian Winter sells and installs after market modified exhaust systems. He admitted that libido plays a part.

"The word maybe machismo or ego -- bigger is better. Louder is better," said Winter.

But he said the real attraction is performance -- the mufflers can help in towing and offer better gas mileage.

Mark Pelletier said driving around in his souped up Mitsubishi Lancer is just harmless fun.

"I do it for fun, my friends are all in to it. We get together and have car clubs to stay out of trouble," said Pelletier.

But Smith said the trend is uncivilized.

"Imagine when they come to your home at 1, 2, 3 a.m. It's a complete disregard for any social conscience," said Smith.

At Lou's Custom Exhaust in Waltham, installation of mufflers and exhaust pipes is considered an art form.

Joe Marazzo said souping up cars, or "tuning," isn't just for kids, it's a booming market that's fun and misunderstood.

"We have a wide range of customers -- not just young, crazy kids driving around -- it's wide range. It's almost like selling ice cream -- everybody likes it," said Marazzo.

And it's not just specialty shops that are in on the modified exhaust system business -- even Midas Mufflers and Brakes is installing them.

For now, Smith will have to put up with the rumbling and revving, even though his idea of justice would be to muzzle every loud muffler.

"They serve no purpose but to disturb the peace," he said.

A seldom enforced state law does require that all cars have mufflers that control noise levels

6. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    OK, I say we should look into a 3am Ferrari/loud exhaust meet outside David Smith's house next week some time;). This guy's thining process is just odd. How is having an aftermarket muffler cause people to drive recklessly? I have a feeling David is the type of person who also does 50mph in the passing lane and causes about 4 accidents a year trying to inforce his own driving behavior on other drivers. We have much more inprotant things that the State legislature could be dealing with such as actually making the DNC not shut down the entire city of Boston and maybe fixing the potholes that ruin wheels, break legs, and cause large traffic jams every day. I am stepping off my soapbox now, but this sort of stuff drives me up a wall.

7. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    How about obnoxiously loud Harleys? They're the worst offenders by far. Why the hell don't they go after those types of bikes with what amounts to having basically no mufflers at all ? IMHO those things suck and can't for life of me understand the attraction of that type of bike with that utter ear splitting noise.

K.

8. boxerboy2

boxerboy2 Rookie

Feb 8, 2004
    I dropped you a note yesterday regarding my opposition to HB 1722. While driving to work today I found the noise level from the stereo of the adjacent car extremely offensive as it vibrated not the owners vehicle my those surrounding it as well. The addition of numerous speakers along with significant amplification results in a powerful, annoying and disruptive situation.

If you are seriously considering the passage of HB 1722 - which I urge you to not to - please include the addition of car stereos and amplification equipment to the bill so it would also reflect:
    "...a sound system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the volume emitted by a vehicle's sound system stereo beyond the capability of original manufactures sound equipment equipment..."
    This a far more pressing issue than the aftermarket exhaust systems that HB 1722 limits itself to.
    Again I urge you to oppose HB 1722

9. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    IMO the standard should simply be at the current allowable sound level of a motorcycle (e.g.: Harley with approved pipes), which I understand is 90 decibels at 75 feet.

What's fair for one is fair for all! Why should any vehicle need to comply with anything more restrictive than what has already been allowed for another?

Kind Regards, Chris

PS: For anyone that doesn't have a feel for this level of sound, it is very loud and HIGHLY unlikely that you are even close to this level with a street car that has any sort of muffler on it! This is also the maximum sound level for race cars at many local race tracks that have to use sound monitoring equipment to appease neighbors.

10. F50

F50 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    our boys are over in Iraq fighting for freedom.
    here we are over here with idiots trying to take away freedoms.

just because something is annoying does not mean it should be illegal.
    i hate the dozens of harleys that go by my house, but i dont think they should be illegal.
    my neighbor is always mowing or leaf blowing or doing some type of noisy yard work. and its annoyingly loud, but i'm not going to try and make it illegal for him to do so.

when are poeple going to start worrying about themselves instead of what everybody else is doing.