M5 SMG only | FerrariChat

M5 SMG only

Discussion in 'Other German' started by vvvmd, Jul 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Of the 15 cars I have owned, only three have had automatics. I have had a 540 six speed, and two M5s. I was looking forward to the new M5 or M6 and now it seems that they will only come with SMG. One of the big reasons I liked BMW over Audi and MB was that you could get a real clutch. My wife agrees she calls SMG and Tiptronic shifters idiot shifters. I guess when it comes time to trade and I want real manual transmission I'll have to look at a Cadillac CTSV. I hear that you can get Mallet to give you 500 to 600 hp.

2. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I think it is very sad they are doing this -- do they not realize that with the last M5, the only quantatative advantage the M5 held over the OLD E55 was its manual transmission?!? I don't understand this one bit.

What percentage of M3 buyers opt for the regular six-speed? Surely it's at least a third, or so. So do they want to alienate that 1/3 of their customer base? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

First they produce a car whose styling, at the very least, "takes some getting used to" (I have grown to like it, though I still like the E39 better). Then, they remove the one thing that made M-cars truly unique! It was only a couple of years ago that, when some sort of BMW exec was asked why the X5 4.6is was not called an "M", he replied that it was because M's always had a manual transmission. An SMG has no clutch pedal!

3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Has been rumored for a while that that the M5 would be SMG only. Was a big reason why I traded my M3 SMG in for a Maserati instead of waiting for the new M5. Maybe i am old fashioned but I found I need a clutch to enjoy my driving experience

4. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL

What did you think of the SMG in your M3 ?

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    this is sad trend...all the perf car makers are pushing these f1 type trannys down our throats....but they must have do research and figure they will make more money this way....what can we do!!!! i am glad i got my 360 in 6speed... its a shame because the bmws have great 6 speeds!!! i would never get an m3 in smg!!!

6. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I did find it to be a good system, Was just not for me. My "fun cars" are only seasonal vehicles and even then I basically just use them for spirited driving, and to me at least that requires the use of your left leg. Were some quirks that I did not like in the SMG, Like occasionally car would jerk uncontrollably when taking off, On the M3 board this was referred to as "the washing machine cycle" also would only give you up to a 1800 RPM launch.

7. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
  8. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    This is subjective of course, but I think those Caddy designs are even WORSE than the BMW designs. I'd happily take an SMG M5 over any 6-speed monstrosity from Cadillac. That left foot action has to be REALLY important to you to end up in that thing for $65k!