360 ECU/Chip for 6 SPD: anyone? | FerrariChat

360 ECU/Chip for 6 SPD: anyone?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JC360, Jul 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    hello,

anyone w/ a 360 6 spd who have done a chip/ecu mod?
    impressions?
    any links where i can get info.

did a search but all info was for F1 and yes i know theres
    big difference for ecu modding on the F1 and heard theres very
    little gain on 6 spd.. but still interested.

thank you in advance.

2. mattmeridian

mattmeridian Rookie

Mar 11, 2004
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    matthew smith
    JC360,

This is Matt from Meridian. We are an Evotech software distributor and carry a new software program for both the 360 6-speed and f-1 vehicles. Since these cars have 2 motronics ECU's and the F-1's having a completely separate TCU, we can program either vehicle no problem. The Evotech program makes just over 20 horse power and 12 lb/ft of torque, and extends the redline to 9200 rpm. On my old silver 360 (the one with the hood) I did the software upgrade and my business partner has done it on all 4 Stradales hes had. We've done over 20 360 ECU upgrades in house and have never had a failure or an unsatisfied customer. In addition for F-1 vehicles we can completely reprogram the f-1 transmissions for more aggressive shifting and better performance. If you would like anymore information of a product brochure feel free to PM me anytime.

3. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    matt,
    pm sent.
    thank you.
    jon

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    matt

please tell us how much extra torque and power you can get from a 360 without raising the rev limit, but just remapping the ignition and fuel. Assume 98 RON minimum, 102 RON 90 MON generally.

5. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    isint very possible to throw a piston with revs that high?

6. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

not really. the connecting rod actually sees highest loads on decel, not accel; therefore, when you lift off the gas at 9200 rpm, it loads the rod more than accelerating to 9200 rpm. (this is said without talk of over-reving the engine, by way of a mis-shift, which usually causes a main bearing, or rod bearing to fail, and results in a broken rod -- but the bearing has to go 1st, then the rod will follow).
    however, at 9200 rpm, you should begin to consider the valve springs and their ability to cope with sustained high rpm use; i don't know the grade/strength rating of the metal used in ferrari valvetrain, so i'd procure that info before regularly visiting 9200 rpm -- i'm sure indigestion, on account of your ferrari engine eating a valve, is a pretty expensive problem.

7. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    No, wrong Hubert I'm afraid.

The valve springs are easily good until 10,000rpm.

The piston will break up eventually. The N-GT cars have a lighter piston and a limit of 9000 now and used to be 8700...and they break up both now and then...the part below the gudgeon pin opens up sending the piston skywards. I have also seen a rod failure at the small end ...again it opens up sending the piston skywards......

occasional squirts to 9200rpm aren't going to break it in the first few goes, but each time it will be weakened...trust me.

Power must be found below 9000rpm to be relied upon.

8. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    ToLd You FooL

not worth it Hubert,Jc,and whoeverelse

9. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Phil- you have been a great source of information for me and the rest of us. Do you know if the GT pistons are available to the general public? Is it worth a swap in my 360CH while increasing redline to 9000? OR:

I have been corresponding with a shop in CA who are putting superchargers in 360's. Net result 600bhp and double the torque. Can you see any problems with this approach? About 20k installed. Thanks for all the help.

10. F40Lover

F40Lover Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    Hubert is right. There is more load on decel on the entire engine. At one time Ford told certain race teams NOT to use engine breaking as the con rods would not take the loads and would fail. Usually it was #5 or #7 that would fail. Bearing first, con rod second. Many just replaced the rod and piston assembly and eventually the crank would fail in that area too.

Ferrari and other car manufactures have HUGE R & D budgets. The limits imposed for redlines for production cars is just that PRODUCTION cars that see all kinds of driving. Racing is a different ball game. Race engines are torn down for inspection to look for premature wear to make sure that the engine is at its top performance and reliability. I will take reliablity ANYDAY over a few hundred RPM. Yes the engine might souind nice at that high RPM but the sound of the con rod going thru the side of the block is not a nice sound at all. I am sure that other people here that REALLY race cars will agree with me on this. Ferrari is one of the few cars with V8's that attain very high RPM without the use of turbo's.

LONG LIVE THE FERRARI WAIL!!!
    :)

11. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I talked with powerchip who supplies to evosport, that may be different than what matt is licensed to program (evotech) into the 360 ecus, and they categorically denied the rev limit is changed from factory setting. They gain their hp, around 20 by air/fuel and timing profile changes. Haven't seen it on any car yet so I can not tell for sure. They said it has been proven on 98 RON Auzzie fuel and are trying to port it for the States 91 RON+MON.

During my investigation of certain faulty parts in 360 engines I got to speak with a few technical people at FNA. They discouraged to redline the engine and said the HP curve after 7750 is pretty much flat and really doesn't buy you anything. I have seen it in my own 360 dyno graph with may be 3-4 more horses after 7750. I think reving the engine at 9200 RPM is asking for trouble, my $.02.

12. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Intertesting. I have my shift light set to 8,000 on the 360CH. Redline is 8500. Been there a few times and really no power difference between 8 and 8500, just more engine wear. I'd love to see some factory data on bhp/rpm curves.

In any event, maximum torque is achieved a good bit lower in the power band, and torque is what pulls you out of corners faster and wins races. Anyone can go fast in a straight line at high RPM.

13. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Michellotto just sneer down their nose at you if ask for GT parts without owning a GT. And that's just chassis parts.

If you even admit to so much as dropping the sump on a GT that you own without Michelotto's approval, they'll send men in black to kill you and your family in your sleep!

You think I'm kidding...send them an email and ask for yourself!!

However, there are a couple of sources for hot 360 bits. I have a very close link but not for sharing on this forum. The 360C speciale I built has some semi GT bits in it. But not so much that I need to use 102RON fuel the whole time. I can use both 98RON and 102RON with just a tangible power drop but no problem.