Best wax for UV protection? | FerrariChat

Best wax for UV protection?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Jul 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to determine which wax (or space age polymer equivalent) is the best in terms of protecting the paint from UV-induced fading? Of course, it would be nice if it also provided a nice shiny finish. Anyone know anything about this?

Birdman

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I think it somewhat depends on the color of the car. In my totally non-scientific experience, a dark car gets so hot in the sun that most natural waxes will melt away pretty quickly. The synthetics would be more durable -- but produce less shine. What color car are we talking about? Is it a daily driver (parking lots, non-garage nights, daily pollution, etc)?

I'm going to get totally roasted for saying this... but on my old Honda (burgundy), I had great sucess with Nu-Finish. If you just want a tropical experience, open a bottle of Zymol Cleaner Wax and inhale. It remindes me of a nice beach on Antigua.

-Daniel

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nu-Finish is an excellent polymer finish. (Don't tell anyone but I've used it too.)

I also like to use Zaino, it is extremely durable on my red car and dark gray BMW. Gives an excellent shine and stands up to being parked in the sun on a daily basis on the BMW.

And, if you're having one of those days when you want to really wow them, slap a nice carnuba wax on top of the Zaino and it really shines deeply.

Just make sure to remove the wax before you use the polymer again.

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    The best option for protection and durability is a polymer type sealent. While I feel that carnauba gives off a better shine and depth of color, you cannot beat the protective qualities a polymer has. I would try to go with Zaino, Klasse, or Crystal Guard for your car based on your reasoning. Hope this helps.

5. davel

davel Guest

Another vote for NU Finish. It cleans lots of grime off the paint, shines well and is very very durable and its not expensive at all. It rivals anything out there for lasting shine and protection!!!

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My car is Red (what else?) and has some fading on the upper surfaces from the PO leaving it out too much. It started getting pinkish! I have started buffing it down to red again and I want a protectant that will keep it that way. The car is garaged and driven only in nice weather, but I do take it places and park it outside, so I don't want to stress about my paint fading. I know how red paint can fade pretty quicikly.

Sounds like polymer is the answer. The stuff just isn't as shiny as old fashioned turtle wax!

Birdman

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I have tested a number of waxes and, in my opinion, Nu-Finish is tops. I even use it on my airplane which in not in a hangar. Imagine the UV beating that an airplane takes when it's outside 24/7/12.
    It is also the easiest to apply - a big factor when you do a lot of area.
    Back in the 80s when I was running tech at Watkins, a group representing a very high priced finishing product asked to use my car as a "demo". They spent about 4 hours on their procedure and the car looked fantastic. But, the finish lasted no longer than the Turtle Wax that I compared it to. The Nu-finish lasts even longer. Longer, in fact, than any product I've ever used.
    I agree with all of you on Nu-finish.
    Bob Z

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I started to use Nu Finish back in the 80's....it was a good product in it's time...since then, I have to admit that the newer wax products out do it in gloss and shine. When Consumers Reports tested waxes in the early 90's, Nu Finish was one of the lower rated products for durability and shine/gloss....it was after that, I did some tests on my car/motorcycle and found indeed, there were better products in appearance and durability.

Dave
    Former Nu Finish user....

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Dave, so what's better???? I have no allegiance to Nu Finish.

10. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Oh my god! There are numerous threads on this subject...and like asking which motor oil is better! :) And I have no idea about this UV thing...As long as I keep my car washed, and wax it three or so times a year, I have never had a problem with any of my cars.

Okay, so I currently use the Zymol "cleaner wax"...horror of horrors to some...it is a licensed Zymol product made by Turtle Wax (yes, THAT company). Goes on very easy, comes off easy, was top rated by Consumers Reports five or so years ago... You can get it at Target, WalMart, Kmart, etc...cost is like $13 or so. You will be amazed at the appearance after application. It has a very mild polish in it...ground up almond shell dust or something...check the label. Smells nice too, has coconut oil or something.

The Zymol Ital wax is slightly better in gloss and appearance, but costs way more (like $50 or $60 for 8 oz tub) and is harder to apply and remove.

Of course everyone seems to like the Finish First and other type products, and they are probably as good or better...I'm just too lazy to experiment or try other stuff right now.

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Most of the polishes/waxes protect the paint but don't filter UV rays. I think there must be a wax that has built-in UV protection so that it acts like sunscreen -- which I think is your question. For interior use, there is "303 Protectant" that contains sunscreen with an SPF of 30 that prevents damage in the same way suncreen does for your skin. There probably is a wax/polymer that does this for the exterior. Since your paint already has some fading and you park it in the sun, it is worth looking to see if there is such a product to prevent further damage. I would send an email to the guys at http://www.properautocare.com/wax.html, they are very informed and will probably have an answer. Their prices are on the high side, so you may want to identify the product there and buy elsewhere -- I always buy from them because I'm lazy and because I appreciate the information they provide (their monthly newsletter is very good). For the fading, I strongly recommend trying 3M Imperial Hand Glaze -- it's a grey bottle available for about $8 at Pep Boys and other common stores. I had serious fading on the black Porsche Carrera wheels and nothing helped -- not rubbing compound, polishing compound, wax, etc -- but the Imperial hand glaze restored it so that it looked like new. I had read on the internet that the 3M glaze restores oils in the paint -- I didn't see anything about that on the bottle but whatever it does it seems to work. The glaze is not a wax, so you need to follow it with a wax or polymer to protect the paint. If you really want to condition the paint, a very effective process is to use a clay bar, followed by P21S paint cleaner (strips off old wax), followed by 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, followed by P21S wax.

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I really don't think the UV thing is worth worrying about. It is my opinion (pretty worthless I know) that Birdman's car faded not directly from UV, but from general neglect of the previous owner. Once he brings it back (or has he already?)...then his continued good care will virtually eliminate any further problem.....

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I know that if I am out in the sun all day without sunscreen, my skin is fried. If I apply sunscreen, I usually don't even get a tan. I have no idea whether this same concept applies to car wax, but it is an intriguing concept. I did just see that Zaino claims to have sun block. I generally prefer waxes to polymers, but I saw an original paint 308 at La Belle in the Poconos and I couldn't believe how perfect the paint looked -- it's the first time I was drawn to asking someboy what they used and the answer was Zainos, so polymers can also look very good. The excerpt below is from http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc:

"Plus, because we want your car to look its best for many years to come, our Show Car Polish™ products include the most powerful sun-block available in a paint protection system: UV-40. Our polish is literally sunscreen for your car."

14. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    B-man, that's exactly what I do on my car and you've seen it. The cleaner can also remove light oxidation and help bring back the paint. If whatever you are using to apply the cleaner while applying is showing signs of redness then you are cutting old oxidized paint off. This is a good thing ! Then hit it with the 3m glaze and at least 2 coats of P21S (the best for the $$ IMHO) and then no need to worry about sun as Dave stated considering the exposure you give it.

Kenny K.

15. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mike V
    I know its no Ferrari, but my '95 M3 is yellow, the one year they didn't clear coat the yellow. So the paint fades REAL quick on it. I've been happy lately with using the Zaino made for non-clear coated cars, it has some special UV protectant in it (like sunscreen for your car!) that hasn't failed me yet. Its a PITA to use on my car (yellow liquid applied to a yellow car = where'd it go!) but gives me good results. Mix it with zaino car wash for a nice deep shine everytime.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Birdman,
    I believe all these methods mentioned will bring you excellent results...the beauty of the Zymol cleaner wax, is that it is the first "two step" (wax and polish) product that actually performs as advertised. Most I have used had too aggressive a polish (leaving swirl marks), or more commonly, terrible wax ingrediants (poor shine or gloss). This stuff works! The only thing I would recommend doing before application is to get some Griot's Garage Speed Shine and a clay bar.

17. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Excellent advice Dave! Stip it down, clay bar, Zymol cleaner/wax...

18. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    alot of good advice and suggestions here

19. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I gotta go with products that are made for a specific task or reason. I like a good cleaner, a good glaze and a good wax. I'm just not a fan of multi-purpose products as inevitably they are a compromise of each purpose for which it was intended. I'd also stay away from Griot's as they are for the rich and famous. Go to Autozone and pick up some Mequires or Mothers detail spray and save a buck or two.

Kenny

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Like I said, the Zymol is the FIRST two step product that really works as intended, saving you time, effort, and money (since you brought up cost).

I agree that seperate, dedicated products is generally the way to go, and I still use dedicated polish and waxes on occaision...I have Griot's Fine Hand Polish, and Zymol Ital paste wax on the shelf right now.

I tend to agree, that many Griot's products are overpriced, but I still purchase a ton of stuff from them because they (he?) offers great VALUE, in what they (he) sells. Example; if you buy the clay bar and speed shine, it will set you back about $30. About the same as two Mequires clay bar kits...but look at how much more clay bar you get with Griot's, and the large bottle of detail spray. The Griot's clay bar comes in a nice reusable plastic container as well (keeps the clay from drying out). And the sprayer that Griot's sells is very high quality (and adjustible) as well. Just quality stuff all around.

21. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The need for sunscreen really depends upon how much it is in the sun. If it is parked outside daily, then sunscreen is critical given the age of the paint and some fading. Reading Birdman's original post more carefully, it sounds like he only ocassionally parks outside, then sunscreen is less critical but it still seems like a significant advantage. Multistep versus two step just depends on how much of a fanatic you are -- you will get 80% of the results with a two-step versus a multi. I don't think the work is that much more for multi-step though -- once a year you clay, clean, glaze, and wax and after that you just apply a top coat of wax when needed, so there is no difference after the annual prep. It costs more to do multi-step: Mothers Clay Bar $13, P21S cleaner $15, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze $8, P21S wax $25. More expensive, but not much money relative to Ferrari maintenance costs. The clay and the glaze make a huge difference. If you want to go the polymer route, Zainos seems to be the way to go given the sunscreen advantage and that the car I saw with it looked unbelievable. I think Zainos is probably more expensive and I think is more work to apply (I'm not certain of that). I prefer the wax. I'm a fanatic about cleaning the paint once a year -- then I just drive it rain or shine and am not worried about getting it dirty or wet because I know the paint is protected.

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for the great posts! Stupid question from car care newbie...what is the clay bar for? Buffing?

Ever see a red car from Hawaii, FL or AZ? The red turns all faded in the sun. My car started going that way because the PO must have kept it outside a lot. I buffed it back to life, but I want to be sure it doesn't go that way again! Sunblock is the answer!

Birdman

23. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

Wash and dry the car then rub your hand over the surface especially the horizontal surfaces. Is it smooth as glass to the touch ? Probably not ! You'll feel lots of very tiny bumps or imperfections that are just really stuck on and wont come off with washing. The clay and spray safely remove all of that so that it will be smooth as glass. Then clean, glaze and wax.

Here in Ma we don't get nearly the UV exposure those states have. As long as you maintain the finish you've brought back, fading will not be a problem.

Kenny K.