"Clutch alarm"? | FerrariChat

"Clutch alarm"?

Discussion in '360/430' started by LetsJet, Jul 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've got a 355 F1 Spider and I was looking at the Manual / F1 thread and this "Clutch alarm" came up. I'm not familiar with any "Clutch alarm" and I can find nothing about it in my manual.

The one post references ch. 3 p 14 but I don't have it.

Anyone care to elaborate on this?

2. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I have a 360. Why would it be on the same page in a 355 manual?

3. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Obviously it wouldn't....

I appreciate the help but it's not in the manual

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    My clutch alarm used to go off in my 355F1. That was just before I had to replace it at 10K miles. The previous owner drove it in auto way too much.

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm still hoping a 355 F1 owner can elaborate on this. Anyone have any documentation on this feature? If a 360 owner could pdf the page referenced, I'd appreciate that also...

..... come on guys an actual Ferrari question on FChat!

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hmm, I had an alarm go off a while ago and thought that that was what it was in my 360. I wasn't sure if it was just an overheat though. The dealer said if it happened again they'd annalyze it and possibly adjust the parameters to get some more life out of the clutch. It hasn't occurred again. I suspect that a new clutch may be due down the road :(

Here's the thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23197&highlight=360+clutch

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That's helpful, thanks.

But. I'm still looking for a Ferrari document describing this. Also, if you start in second as is sometimes recommended, wouldn't that require more clutch slippage before fully engaging? Though, the alarm goes right off if I switch to second. There should be a way to tell if the clutch is fully engaged. In a normal manual transmission car you could depress the clutch fully at snail speed and not burn the clutch out.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    See page H96 Vol. 3 of the 355 shop man. 2nd gear starts were as you say suggested however only for the sake of smoothness on take off or Greater safety on slippery surfaces. FYI I got to know a man who was an engineer with Ferrari and was the one who was tasked with doing the long range durability testing on F1's. Ferrari's position was clutch life was the same on both trans. types. He stated to me his report said clutch life was 40% less on F1's.

9. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    There is a guy in NW on this board (willis360) with an F1 360 and 26K+ miles on his original clutch. How can that be possible. I have seen most to be replaced around 8-11K and some as low as 5k... How can you preserve the clutch like that?

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Drive down the freeway

11. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm going on 20,000 with a 99 F1, no problems yet,

12. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Is that mostly freeway driving?

13. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OK, just got back from chatting with the dealer. The beeping is because of excessive slipping and overheat. They said that they can make an adjustment on the clutch so that it grabs a little quicker but would be a little more jerky on take off. After talking to them I doubt mine requires a new clutch and it's more of an over heat issue. The dealer said don't worry about it unless the beeping becomes more frequent.

14. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Drive your car up a hill from a stop and if it beeps, your clutch is going out. This is how I knew mine was failing. Changed mine at 10K miles. The guy before me must have used the auto too much. Shift in sport without auto at higher rpms if you want the clutch to live longer. Harder, firmer shifts extend clutch life. I shift mine at about 8K as often as possible. Oh what a feeling.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Jeez, are you serious? That's how the beeping started in the first place. Crap!
    What can I expect to pay for a new clutch if I need one? I've got an estimate from the dealer.......

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Actually, I hate driving on freeways. Most of the driving's done on local backroads. It's just more fun.