Bele Chere Auto-x July 26 Asheville | FerrariChat

Bele Chere Auto-x July 26 Asheville

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by MoparMuscle, Mar 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    I wanted to share a widely popular event that comes around every year in Asheville called Bele Chere. Bele Chere is the largest 3 day festival in the South East providing hundreds of thousands of guests with music, food etc. One of the most exciting events held every Bele Chere is the autocross held on south Charlotte Street. I've been going for the last 3 years and it only gets bigger and bigger. I believe last year had just over 100 cars. There are a lot of nice cars that come out from old cobra's to porsches. It is truly the best autocross event of the year. I would love to see some Italian cars come out and compete this year. You guys may consider a weekend meet? This years Bele Chere is July 25-27 Fri-Sat. For more information about Bele Chere, go to http://www.belechere.com/ I have provided additional information about the autocross below.

Best,
    Brian

Bele Chere Autocross: 7 a.m.- 6 p.m., Charlotte St. For registration information contact Steve Eckerich, [email protected].

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Hey who are you???? I've auto-x there before a few times. I've been there the last few years. I had a black e-36m3 & also an Audi TT. Check out our tail of the dragon thread if you are interested. I also did the highland sportscar club thing for awhile but my current CLK isn't exactly a cone stormer.

L8tr
    Jeremy

3. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    Just a ferrari nut that has been lurking here for the last few weeks :D I dont recall seeing your e-36, did you race last year? I've raced several times in the HSC in an Eclipse and particpated in last years bele chere. Didn't fare too well but it sure was fun. The CLK is a sweet car, you should run her this year :D It'll definitly do better than my mopar.

Brian

4. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I'll think about it since I've lowered it now and put AMG brakes on it. What color is your eclipse? I remember a newer ecslipse and an older turbo. I raced my E-36 3 years ago and my wife's TT two years ago. I even won the night series in the TT's class.

Yeah I'm a ferrari nut as well and I'm looking to buy a "exotic car" here soon so these guys are helping me out.

5. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    The eclipse is a burgandy red. Let's see if this works [​IMG] When I raced in bele chere I had the stock rims on it and they were gunmetal. Raced once in the 18's but the tires got mangled pretty bad.

What exotic are you leaning toward? There was a thread on here that I saw something about a Ferrari dealership opening up in Charlotte, where I'm at right now, but I haven't heard anything else about it. G'luck with your purchase :)

6. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford

Man I've been leaning so many ways it isn't even crazy. I had a deposit on the new Elise for awhile then pulled out of that, leaned toward a Noble M12gto3R, then 993 twin turbo, then 348/328, then bang for the buck viper gts, then to the nice paid maitenance and Paddles e-46 m3, then Lotus Esprit V8tt hahaha is there any car I have not thought about?? Man I have no clue what I want, but I will own a Ferrari of some kind before too long. What would you buy? Considering this is a 3rd car I'm going to set a limit of 60k for now.

I heard about the Ferrari dealer opening in Charlotte which is cool. I'm about 2.5 to FCI but charlotte is only 1.5.

Your car looks clean, not all stickered out. Those things sound pretty good. That picture is at the mall right? I think I spotted i-240 in the back ground. I'll look for you at Bele Chere. Here is a pic of my car, but I'm going to be putting 17's back on it soon. [​IMG]

7. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina

Wow, that's quite an awesome list of cars there. Where the heck can you get a Noble around here??? If your looking at around 60 I think I would go for the viper. I don't care for the new srt10, it looks "cheap" to me plus its well above your set price. But you can get a nice used 00-01 Viper GTS ACR for around 60. The ACR definitely has that exotic look to it and there are very few that I am aware of in Asheville. Plus if you decide to sell it in a year or two, I don't think you will lose too much as long as you get it at a good deal. I was excited when I heard the Elise was headed stateside. But I believe the sticker on it is about 50? and its powered by a toyota motor from what I hear. I'm going to wait until after they come out before I judge them. I'm not too keen on the Esprit. Unless they've changed it recently, the looks of it just look played out and there's something about a TT V8 with only 350 bhp that strikes me as being "low". Personally, if I had the money (or if I had money :() i'd love to have the new Ford GT and a 360 Modena "Novitec Rosso" edition. They truely are outstanding performers in their own right.

Thanks for the kind comments on the eclipse. There will never be a sticker on this car unless it will add some hp :D And yes, the picture was taken at the mall on the newer parking deck, 3rd level. I'll definitely be at the race this year but I don't know if I'll be running. Bele chere is more fun watching than running. I love to see awesome cars getting it on the street :D The CLK is one of my favorite mercedes. Right color too, I'm envious ;)

8. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    You are right dollar for dollar the viper would give the most go for sure, but man that thing looks cheap inside.....of course I'm not buying it for looks though am I? hahaha 01 up has ABS which would be a must because braking on those without it is horrible. Also I haven't owned an american made car because I just like european cars better. Sounds like I keep painting myself in a corner doesn't it?
    Even though the lotus only has 350hp it is still one of the fastest listed and with a new chip/intake/exhaust it will make 450 easily. Since the Esprit began production there have only been 11,000 made total! Talk about rare.

I drove the Noble about a year ago in Atlanta. 1gracing.com is importing them minus the drivetrain. It winds up being 72 brand new, but 0-60 in 3.6 and 1/4 in 11.8....1.156 latergal g's....... :)

9. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    Bele Chere auto-x is in a few weeks. Hope some of you guys can make it.

-Brian

10. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I'll be there brian.......just look for my clk or check out the pic of me under my insane weekend....cya then (doubt I'll auto-x though)

11. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    We'll be there also, unfortunately my clutch is gone, so wont be running.

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    BUY A 95 355 CHALLENGE THAT HAS BEEN CONVERTED TO STREET USE! Martin has a yellow 355 for sale for ever. I looked into it, it is actually a street version with a challenge look. Even has the black tyres and roll bar behind the seats, plus chip. Offer him 60K.

Jeremy, how about getting the F club together for this event? Too crowded this weekend?

David

13. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Yeah it is fairly crowded......like 200,000 people come to town just for this weekend. I mean there is more going on that weekend than any other time of the year, but still it is crowded. Lot of entertainment/bands, every kind of food you can imagine, and a bunch of witches/warlocks hahahahahaha (JK)

L8tr
    Jeremy

14. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    i'll probably bring the eclipse but i won't be racing either. last year they really limited the spectator area than previous years and so i plan on getting there early to get a nice spot. see you there,

Brian

15. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    Just wanted to get the ball rolling on this, David...heard you're coming? Any truth to this? :D

We'll be there along with a LOT of BMW guys...

See everyone there!

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Not sure yet, tell me more about his, Jerremy said you can get up to 80 or so, what is this? Is it a wide open sprint or a track you complete where you started? This is on the street, not in a parking lot?

I was sent an email, something abaout a fire suite?

JDAVID

17. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    JDAVID,

The Bele Chere auto-x is held on a public street, south charlotte street in downtown asheville. In previous years the course has been mostly focused on high speeds rather than handeling. In a fast car you may be able to get up to 80 but most cars do not get that fast. The course is usually similiar, if not the same, to previous years so I'd imagine this year will be no different. Since the street is limited (5 lane highway) you may be in second gear longer than any other auto-x you usually attend. The end of the course usually features some sort of 180 degree turn around point where you race back through the track to the finish line. Last year I belive the average time for a car to complete the course was around 35 to 40 seconds.

If you do not want to compete this year, I encourage you guys to come out to watch. It sure is a lot of fun. Make sure you bring some chairs and plenty to drink, its always hot.

Brian

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Yes, I am staying at the Grove Park, I need more info about the event. What equipment do I need, ect.

When, where, how? Who to contact

David

19. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    Apparently, the source I received my original message was incorrect about the date. Bele Chere is this weekend, the 23-25 and the auto-x is held on Saturday the 24th.

For registration information contact Steve Eckerich, [email protected].

I apologize for the confusion.

Brian

20. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Steve pretty much knows everything about the auto-x. He is the go-to guy for sure. Also check out their website here: http://www.highlandssportscarclub.com/index.htm

It is supposed to be closed to novice's. David just let them know you have auto-x before just not in the 348. I can take you through the ropes and pretty much show you what to do when you get here. The reason why they close it off to novice's is because the event draws some young kids who go nuts doing donuts.

21. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    THANJKS FOR THE LINK: I saw no registration forms, and there was no mention of where to meet, ie, this parking lot, or this restraunt, or this intersection.

Can anyone please help with this. Also, do we get to drive through the tunnell. I can no longer hear my exhaust and need to have it amplified.

David

22. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason

LMAO

23. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    David, you'll meet at the autox...can't remember the road exactly...but you meet there at like 7am or something for registration, I guess you already have a helmet, if not I believe you can rent them from there.

That's basically it I believe...if not, Jeremy, you've done this before...is there anything more involved?

24. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Just bring your helmet........tech is from 8-9 I believe and I can show you where to go, but basically just go down charlotte street past the barricades. Tell the police that you are with highland sports car club and you are goign to auto-x. There is a back road down, but I don't know the name of it. I can show you friday night.

L8tr
    Jeremy

25. MoparMuscle

MoparMuscle Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    North Carolina
    Getting to the auto-x from tunnel rd is the easiest. I believe all other routes are blocked anyway.

Coming from tunnel road, go through the tunnel toward downtown. One or two intersections up, you'll see a restaurant on the left called TK Tripps. Take a left here on South Charlotte Street (It may be closed due to the event but an official should let you in). Go down about a quarter mile and you will see the event which is located next to the city's water faciltiy. Park your car in the designated parking lot next to the facility.

And in case you missed this from the HSCC website:

Bele Chere Information:

The event is closed to novices with less than 3 events experience.
    Registration is from 8:00 until 9:30 with first car off at 10:00.
    Event is held on South Charlotte Street with access from the Asheville side beside TK Tripps.
    Cost is $25.00 for everyone with trophies in all classes.
    Please Note: You MUST be 18 years of age or older to participate in this event, OR you must have a signed parental consent form.

BTW, I plan on getting there around 9-9:30. See you guys there.

Brian