360 Grounding Problem Question | FerrariChat

360 Grounding Problem Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by thomas_b, Jul 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    the 360 seems to have a significant number of strange problems caused by ECU, TCU, etc. grounding

Does someone know the exact reason for the problem? – I assume it is the connection of the grounding wire to the 360 aluminium frame plus oxidation

What are the symptoms? – I found check engine light when I searched the new&old site.

What is the fix? – I assume it is to tighten the ground screws, but also could see treatment with chemicals in combination

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You're partially right. All the ground busses are bolted to threaded inserts crimped into the aluminum chassis much the same as a pop-rivet. The problem often is that the inserts were not crimped tight enough so that the corrosion you mention as well as just plain old resistance from a loose connection comes into play. This is compounded by the fact that the circuts involved are often low voltage and very low current. Many of them aren't looking for absence or presence of power but a variation of same so the resistance plays havoc with things. The trick is finding the correct ground buss to repair, they are all over the car.

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    thanks

the use of rivet nuts would make the occurrence of the problem understandable especially if they are coated with zinc etc. - but didn't F start to use threaded bosses at some pint in time

4. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    on challenge cars built from 2000 on, all the earthing bosses are threaded alloy and welded into the chassis....but I havn't looked on road cars, although I'd assume them to be the same.