Considering selling my 246 GT | FerrariChat

Considering selling my 246 GT

Discussion in '206/246' started by CarreraScott, Jul 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #1 CarreraScott, Jul 11, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Why so soon, you just bought it.

3. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Just got the itch to upgrade my 911 to something bigger and better and something to use on the track. I think I want to focus on one sports car. Only selling the Dino if the price is right, I'll keep it if not. It really is a fun car to drive but the GT2 I'm looking at is $140k+ and I'll be lucky to get $60k for my 996... and after building my garage empties my pockets I wouldnt be able to just plop down an additional $80k...

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  5. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yup only had it for 3 months. Who knows might end up keeping it forever, but tinkering about the idea of selling it and getting a GT2...

6. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Did you consider what the GT2 will be worth in 5-7 years?
    Dino prices only go up and have even accelerated the price increases recently.
    I was also looking at a GT2 18 months ago, then I took the above into consideration and went for a car much more rare, more exclusive, more classy that will do much more than hold its price when my children inherit it.

I'm not even mentionning the pleasure the Dino can provide compared to the brut force of the GT2. It requires guts, skill and some recklessness to track a 500bhp rear wheel drive monster.

7. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yup but I'm looking for a track car. Maybe a GT3 also. I havent decided for sure the direction I'm going but thought I'd put the Dino out there. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't I'll "have" to keep it. ;-)

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Scott.

Oh man.

And just when I thought we had a real convert......

Well, if the car don't fit...

Was it the thought of $500 tire hold down that pushed you over the edge???

I actually know of a couple of folks who are looking, I'll get the word out. Did you do anything to it since the purchase? Any repairs, upgrades, etc?

Dave

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Although I understand the Dino side of it - a gorgeous collectable that is an involving drive - I think that the GT2 is also a very tempting vehicle, even if the second hand market hasn't shown demand to match the original prices.

And as Scott is hinting he has a need for speed right now, not collectability, it might not be that bad of a change. GT2's have gone down well, but I wouldn't think they are going to bottom out under $100k anytime soon - considering the performance against other $100k used cars...

10. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hi Dave,
    No haven't done anything to it except I have a car cover for it. Will be putting a fresh new battery in it shortly. Otherwise its still as the inspection reports. Like I said I'm not positive I'll sell but if I find a serious buyer I probably will. Not gonna sell to any low-ballers that's for sure. Nothing pushed me over the edge except that I realized I might, for now, rather have one awesome performance car than a pretty good performance car and a collectible car.

If you know anyone looking let me know.

PS Like I said I may keep it forever, and thanks for all the help you've provided so far! :)

11. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #11 CarreraScott, Jul 14, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just put a deposit on a GT3, so looks like I'm gonna sell the Dino for sure now (if I get a decent price, otherwise I'll hang onto it). :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Scott,

I'd would love to take that beauty off your hands! Definitely one of the cars I'd like to own at some point. But for now I can just keep on dreaming, gotta have some of those. Have you driven the 246 much since you've owned it?

Are you sure about the GT3 as a track car, what about adding a 355 challenge to the stable? Or an elise as a track car? And keeping the 246!

13. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Too late. ;-) But, the Elise is great for track but I want something usable on the streets (I think the Elise would be downright scary to drive on public roads, so small...). Think I'll stick with Porsche, been real happy with my 2000 911 over the years (selling it too). May dabble in Ferrari again one day, who knows!

14. boxerboy

boxerboy Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    you'll be sorry! I sold mine for a BB512..great ride over 100mph, but the dino is just so sweet.

15. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    well if its legit, that was quick! someone just bought my dino on ebay with buy-it-now for $69k.

16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Too bad, or good! Hope it works out. I predict you'll be back.

17. tzucc

tzucc Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2003
    I love this color. I have a Dino 246GT, yet, this color makes me want to have another. If I had the garage space, I think I would get another one and trick out the engine to see what could be done. My mechanic and I have talked about this... see if we could add another 50-100 ponies to the mix.

18. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    50-100 hp shouldn't be a problem considering what the factory teams (ferrari and lancia in the stratos rally cars) got out of the engines back in the 60s/70s. Though I don't know if you'll find the 4v, dual spark heads lying around to use!

19. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    The 4V heads were not dual spark and can still be had but at the price of the car I'm afraid. The dual spark 2V heads were not really used as after testing the gain was very limited given the additional complexity. Dual spark heads can also be had, relatively cheap but you can also modify the normal 2V head to host the second spark plug.
    A good 2V engine can reach 270bhp, 4V come at around 300bhp but the torque is moved much higher and its value is very close to the 2V one. You're much better off with a good 2V, what you might miss is the "glamour" and exclusivity of the 4V. Only factory run cars had 4V heads and they were often beaten by private 2V entries.

20. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
  21. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Can't you get the hint ? You are just meant to keep the car...the car does not want to go to another owner.
    :) :) :)

22. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Why and how are these guys flaking?

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It's an Fchat conspiracy to prevent you from selling it.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Scott.

Must be frustrating as hell to try and just sell your car.

My recent ebay experiences tell me that it may not be the best way to go.

Cars on ebay ten to be loss leaders, defining the bottom of the market for price, from which a sale at a higher actual price, outside of ebay, sometimes ensues.

Hang in there on this. I'll make a couple more calls and see if I know anyone who really wants a car like this.

Dave