308 gas tank capacity | FerrariChat

308 gas tank capacity

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pizzadude, Jul 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Can someone confirm how many gallons of gas does a 308 gas tank hold. I am thinking its 18 but the manual says something about 4 gallons reserve. So is it 18 plus 4 or is it 14 plus 4 to make 18?

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    The total fuel tank capacity is 18.5 US gallons / 70 litres this includes the "reserve".

Basically the low fuel warning light comes on when there is about 4 gallons left in the tanks, this is the "reserve", but I wouldn't trust the fuel guage 100% as they are renown for their inaccuracies.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Said in truth and good humor my friend: :) :) :)

The light comes on when i have 8 gallons in the tank and do "my usual" type of right turn. Now when i take "my usual" left turn it will show i have a full tank. Too bad they don't allow me in NASCAR as i'd NEVER run out of gas ;-)

Seriously, the gauge (at least in the 1985 Euro spec 308GTS QV) is dependant on your current driving condition. It seems most accurate when parked or at a stop light.

But hey, i should enter NASCAR ;-)

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Same as a 348. My fuel needle makes an easy 1/4 tank swing depending the pitch, roll, and yaw of the car.

-Daniel

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The 3x8s have a brace of two fuel tanks, connected by a large pipe. (On the 328, I think the left tank is slightly larger than the right.)

On the US model 328, the gauge reads the tank the car is sucking fuel from (the left), so "spirited" left turns make the warning come on early, as the fuel sloshes over to the right tank. (The CIS pulls from the left tank, and returns unused fuel to the right.)

When refuelling, I give it a few seconds after the pump "clicks" off, to let the fuel levels equalize between tanks, before topping off.

6. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks guys. I am heading out to Hershey PA from Indy and just wanted to make sure I knew how much gas my car holds. I don't trust the gas gauge all that much so I wanted to have an idea of how many miles I could get on a full tank.