Problem with the 355's lights and top | FerrariChat

Problem with the 355's lights and top

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ilya, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    I am planning on purchasing a '98 355 Spider (Red/Tan), and I was wondering if there are any major problems with top or the pop up lights.

Thanks,

Ilya

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I have had no problems with mine.

3. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Me either

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have heard of occaisional problems with the top. You will find threads in the technical section address them. Most pertains to the trim pots that tell the computer what position the seats are in. The can break or fail, and the top will not move. There is a permanent fix mentioned recently..apparently the oem part is not particularly robust.

Still, this is not common, but does occur on occaision.

5. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    Ok, thanks for the info.

Seeing as how I currently own a hardtop convertible (Lexus SC430, this will remain my daily driver), I was wondering what the top speed driving with the top UP should be? Also, as with my SC, I dont really have a top speed with top DOWN but this might be different with the 355? Sorry for the dumb questions but I have little experience with rag tops. :)

Thanks,

Ilya

6. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    You will not have any problems with the pop up lights... But the top - a lot (including myself) have had little issues - not enough to cause the top to not go up or down... but when you lower or raise the top the seats are supposed to move forward - this will sometimes stop working... But I have had nothing on my 95 in regards to the roof leaking, or closing properly, etc.

As far as speeds - with the roof up - I have had it well in excess of 100 and not an issue... With the top down 100+ but the wind noise is big, but still handled well and doable... Not any more than my Jag Covert or Porsche Convert (remembering from the past)...

8. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    With my 355 I have hit some pretty respectable speeds with the top up and it is solid as a rock.

Hey Merdav, I seem to remember a time when we were doing "respectable" speed and your top was down. As for the NYS Police finding our pace "respectable", well that's an entirely different story altogether! ;-)

Hope to see you this weekend @ West Point.

9. udalmia

udalmia Guest

And I was right behind you eric :D

10. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I remember it well my friend...all too well actually! :)

Looking forward to catching up with you upon your return on the 20th. The Murci looks great and I'm sure you're dying to get back and get Pchop's fingerprints off the hood! ;-)

See you soon...