Chyrsler's 300C, has anyone bought this car? | FerrariChat

Chyrsler's 300C, has anyone bought this car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by jeff, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I'm thinking about buying the new 300. I've read all the magazines and they prefer the hemi model. Has anyone here purchased a 300 and which of the models did you buy? What do you think of the car? Thanks

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Nice on the outside..but the interior looks like it was bought from K-Mart. Way to much plastic and fake wood.

3. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    What did you expect for $24,000?

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Look at the interior of the other $24,000 cars and then you can judge. I expect a lot. Then again I am used to driving drum tight trouble free cars like hondas.

Personally, I love the 300 cars. The new ones are designed with sharp edges unlike all the round femme designed cars today. The new 300s remind me of the older Bentleys. The Hemi is awesome. I prefer the magnum wagon with the Hemi in it. I have, however seen plenty of "brothas" driving the new 300 sedan, so I am sure it will be a hit with the Dubs crew.

5. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I tried to check one out up here, but there was a 6-8 month wait on the Hemi models.

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I had the opportunity to drive this car over the 4th of July weekend. I've got to say I was impressed for what you get for the money. It was a DCX evaluation car built for a top exec. and it had everything. Hemi, bluetooth, Nav., Park distance control, etc.... The engine is designed to drop to 4 cyl. when cruising. The bluetooth actually worked well with voice recognition. I tested the nav. system also and it was flawless. In fact, I intentionaly went the wrong way to see how it would bring me back on track. There is also plenty on room in the rear seats. I would like to have seen rear seat controls as an option, but other then that, I thought it was a good ride. I didn't even expect to like it..........

7. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I had a 300 as a rental car from Enterprise for a couple of days - brand new with 30 miles on it. Wasn't the hemi - just the 6 - but I liked it. Was pretty quick and the stereo was great. I go to the Mercedes marketing days and at the last one we looked at the entire range from C to CL, and weren't that impressed with the fit and finish at an MBZ price point, but personally I think that at the Chrysler price point it ain't bad.

Mind you I have nothing to compare it appropriately to, but I like 'em and might pick one up when they start coming off leases and the market has decided how much to crucify the first owners on depreciation.

Cheers
    Kevin

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the 300m lists for 27k, 34k well eqiuped.. the hemi model is closer to 40k...keep in mind its a c car... which means the worst reliablity in the business and the worst depreciation..they are not most money losing car company in history for no reason..sorry about the double negative....also the styling is over the top and will look dated very soon...there are 2 in my office parking lot, i though they cool looking at first, now they look stupid after a few months..stay away, there are much better sedans for the money....

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    That's funny....... I understand that Snoop called Schrempp personally to get a Hemi model.

10. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I'm not th eonly one who thinks it looks Bentley-esque. Not a bad thing (actually, form the outside it looks pretty solid).

I have heard that something on the order of 55% of this car is benz e-class?

--Dan

11. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Was it a quiet conversation or did Snoop have to "holla"?

Cheers
    Kevin

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Sorry, I can't elaborate any further....... not that it's a secret, I just don't know. I'm guessing Snoop was Snoop.

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Maybe you are..... I pulled into a parking lot and I saw another one and I said "look another 300c". Then as I got close I noticed it was a Cadillac (I think a CTS but I'm not a Cadi guy so I'm not sure)..... Anyway, that comment didn't go over to well.

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If you are mistaking a CTS with a 300C, I would say that you are not that well versed in your automotive knowledge, no offense.

For me, and Dan that thought it was Bentley esque, it is because if you look at the 4 doors of the 90s, they are designed more squarish straight up, and not sleek. Personally I like the look, and thus said the 300 looked similar.

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey Ryan,

If I came across sounding like I was making a stmt about the Bentley that wasn't my intention. I loosely used your comparison to describe my experience. I'm probably not that versed in automotive knowledge. Esp. dealing with domestic sedans. Though I can pick out an S600 quickly.... Picture yourself in a parking garage looking for an open space, fairly dark, cars at angles as you approach...like I said I didn't expect to like the car and I had never seen it before. That's how it happens..... FYI I'm not the only one - there is talk up in Detroit about it.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

No sweat. Its the internet, and sometimes its difficult to read the intention of the post. My apologies as well, if I offended you in some way, as that was not the intention. :) :)

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

No problem Ryan..... I'm happy to clear it up. See ya around the board

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    My understanding was that Snoop called Daimler Chrysler's U.S. head, Dieter Zetsche. Apparently Dieter is a big fan of rap and he was really excited about the call.

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You know.........I might have it wrong. When I read your post, I thought, was it Dieter? Could have been.......

20. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    There is no longer a 300 m it is last years mod. The 300 now comes Base, Touring, Ltd, and C. Drove the C liked it very much. The sys. that shuts down 4cyls. is completly seamless. You will never feel the 4 cyls. shut down or come back on line. The C starts at about 32 and with everything in it is about 38.

21. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Looks good now but Chrysler is notorious for horrendous quality.. My friend has a 1999 300M and he has had more issues with that car than you can possibly shake a stick at.. It may look and ride great now but the car starts coming apart after 50K miles.

Get a 2004 Acura TL.. Much better..

22. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I had the Magnum (hemi) wagon and it was really a nice ride except when it came to pesky things like corners found it heavy and ponderous. didn't really stop well at all