Attention 360 Owners...Important Info. | FerrariChat

Attention 360 Owners...Important Info.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tomf-1, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Just got off the phone with Lee of Lake Forest Motors. Lee informed me there is a new bulletin out from FoN about a faulty Timing Actuator which is part of a Cam Shafts on some 360 models (I think it's also called Exhaust Phase Actuators). Lee said part is covered under warranty (but not labor).

As you all know, I'm absolutely abtused about these technical, mechanical stuffs. Has anyone heard of this "recall"? Accordingly to Lee, some 360CSs have had this done but this is the first for the 360. Can someone shed some insights on this part and its functionality?

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have heard of it and investigated it but FNA denies any issues with the Timing actuator (Cam Variator). There are a few broken ones around the world and costs tens of thousands to get fixed. Was he specific about MY and engine Serial numbers.

This is another sour point with FNA and the way they handle known faulty parts. I have an internal document that shows the cam variators were redesigned and they were recalled on all 360C cars but not on the 360M, although the bulletin specifies both.

Do a search on CAM Variator you should find my post.

3. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Will do, thanks....guy.
    Anyone w/ more info., pls feel free to add.

T

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Just read your post....Very informative.
    Did you go ahead and change it? It looks like I will go ahead w/ the replacement since I will have the timing belt change as well so it should save some money on labor.

Tom

5. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Better make sure if it will be covered by FNA. As far as I know the parts are not covered! I went ahead and got extended warranty instead and didn't bother with the replacement. I talked with a few people at FNA who advised me if it does happen they look at the problem on a case by case situation and FNA will not leave its customers stranded. I accepted that reply!

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thats nice of them to cover the part and not labor......ha

the case by case basis is the biggest crook of sh%t. a stall tactic, they fix as little cars as possible that develop the problems under warranty for the original owners and then bide their time till the warranty expires and most likely cars are on to their second owners and at that time say whew....we made it...where nader when u need him.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Bingo, Give that man a cigar.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    h. upman 166th anniversary edition pls.

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Simply get a copy of the defective part bullitin... Parts but not labor??? Can still under warranty? Dr. T and MMan???

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    According to FNA this was a problem in the earlier 360 Challenge cars and was done under warranty. The rep. advised me that they were not experiencing these problems with the 360 street cars.
    I'm just the messenger!

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea right. Just ask him if you can take a peek at the warranty claim files and see what he says.

12. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Lake Forest assures me "part is covered but just not labor".....

Since I am doing the timing belt also, how many hours of additional labor will it require? Any thoughts?

Thanks, guys.

T

13. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    That's good news, is that a Ferrari Authorized dealer? I wouldn't mind replacing mine! Can you give me conatct information.

Matt

14. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Ferrari may have not paid much attention to their competition in the past with regard to customer service/warranty issues. However, with Lambo, Ford, AM, MB and every other manufacturer on the planet offering 4-6 yr./50-100K, 100% warranties I bet that's gonna change.

15. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    What sort of a warranty is offered by Lambo?

16. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

The gent's name is Lee. I believe he is a Service Manager for Lake Forest Motors, a F-authorized dealer in Chicago. They seem t/b principled folks. Lee will spend all the time in the world on the phone with you to answer all your questions. They've received many endorsements and sponsorships from our F-chatters in the Chicago area here. You can call Lee at 847-295-6917.

Good luck, Matt,

Tom

17. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Tom,

Thanks, I just spoke with him and said the bulletin is new within the last few days. The variators are being replaced under a manufacturer vehicle campaign issue. If they are admitting that the variators are bad and the new ones are being installed why aren’t they cover the cost of labor?

Matt

18. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Tom,

I just wanted to let you know that the labor should be covered based on the information released with the bulletin. It also covers cars that have replaced their belts in the last two years/20K miles. There will be a riot at the Ferrari dealers in the next few days.

Matt

19. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    I've not seen the offical bulletin yet, but in Australia they're now doing road car variators as a recall up a certain engine number....it's a 2000 year thing, any cars built late 2000 on will be ok, the change is mid 2000 and before.

Malcolm will have the engine number..I've got it somewhere too.

20. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Matt,

That's splendid, guy.

If you don't mind, would you be so kind to paste that link here so all our 360 owner colleagues can be informed? Thanks.

The only question is "Ferrari's allotted time for labor vs. The dealership claims of actual labor"......I have a feeling it will still hit our pocket book but this certainly helps...

21. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I just saw the bulletin and it covers all 1999, 2000, and early 2001s not by MY but by engine serial number (all below 60796). I am glad I didn't replace mine when I was doing my belts, eventhough, shop foreman recommeended that I do. Now they cover the cost of variators and tensioner.

22. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    re: recalls et. al.

the past does not equal the future, gents.

if there really is a real problem, then FNA should step up to the plate. and if they won't, then the community of owners should pressure them to step up to the plate.

the general impression seems to be that ferrari runs this sort of stuff as fast and loose as they can - incurring as little cost as possible on repairs, recalls, parts, and the like. if this is so, then it's not irrational behavior. it's not like a honda accord where they sell more in a week than ferrari sells cars in a year.

but just 'cuz things may have gotten swept under the rug in the past doesn't mean people should just roll over on precedent.

talk to your dealers. inquire. learn. and if there really is an issue, complain like heck. they'll take it to FNA. if all 30 dealers are takin' this stuff to FNA, FNA is likely to respond.

one boy's opinion.

doody.

23. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    As I said before there has been a real problem with the variators, and FNA's national dealers director Adam Rawley got on the phone with me and explained after 45 minutes that there isn't any problem. And all the time, I had evidence of cars breaking all over the world for this particular issue and costing in excess of $25k to get each fixed. This is not like pin hole exhaust issue on the F355 manifold, when the variator goes it takes pistons and valves and other things with it... I talked to their technical rep numerous times and at the end he said Ferrari is loosing money and can not afford fixing all these issues on warranty... what a bunch of bologne... Looks to me a bunch bean counters are trying to make the numbers look good so they can look good in front of their masters.
    It's hard to say how they get away with this conduct and seems to me it is FNA that is root cause of the problem.

24. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen. If not i can see a huge outcry and perhaps a new website (www.FerariSucks.com) popping up. Imagine if someone created such a website, hit ALL the right key words, and really did a great job stating facts backed up by receipt scans for all to see. Then said person could key in various journalists in hopes of better publicizing the website and situations as they appear on the website accordingly.

Just an idea...

Hmm... i JUST looked it up:

ferrarisucks.com

Registrant: Make this info private
    Ferrari North America, Inc. (25815757O)
    250 Sylvan Ave
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    US
    Phone: (201) 816-3285
    Fax: 999 999 9999

BUT ferrari-sucks.com is available.

25. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Perhaps they should stop making consumer cars? i mean, if they are constantly making models with manufacturer defects that they do not fix under warranty then perhaps they should cease consumer production and stick with only race cars. Perhaps Ferrari should allow Audi to purchase them? Just a thought.