348SS Battery Location | FerrariChat

348SS Battery Location

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jim Riggs, Jul 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    I went out of town for a month and when I returned my 348SS will not start. After I read the shop manual on the topic I realized that I should have disconnected the battery (but how?) before I left. Anyway I have to jump my F-car or remove the battery and charge it. Any suggestions? After reading several threads on the subject, I am not sure where the battery is located on the Series Speciale: in the engine compartment or behind a wheel well and for the later model 348's there is some uncertainty about whether it is the left or the right wheel well. Anybody straighten me out? Thanks, Jim

2. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Jim, on my 348 spider, the battery is located in the front section of the left/ driver’s side front wheel well behind a sheet-metal panel. If the SS is the same as my 348 you can disconnect the battery via the battery shut-off located in the front trunk or charge/ disconnect at the power port located in the engine compartment right/ passenger side.

3. kenster888

kenster888 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Massachusetts
    The battery is probably still good and you may not need to change it.

My suggestion, jump start your car (from the terminals in the engine compartment), take your car for a 1/2 hour spin, then connect the terminals with a trickle charger. Your battery should be fine the next day.

Goodluck.

4. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Jim
    Welcome home - nice to see you!
    Hope to catch up at Monterey - if you can get that thing started LOL! :)
    Best
    John

5. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Hey John-
    Well you live and learn. I have never owned a car that you have to disconnect the battery when you leave for a month. But I have never owned an F-car before. Hope to see you in Pebble beach, but we have to check our commitments. Cheers, Jim

PS We really enjoyed our time in Perth and didn't want to leave!

6. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks to all for the help. I was able to jump start my F-car and after driving it around for 30-40 minutes it seems to be full charged.

I am still not clear how to disconnect the battery for a later model 348. Thanks, Jim

7. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just found the switch on mine - knew it was supposed to be there but needed a flashlight to see. Open the bonnet/hood/front thingie where the engine isn't, go to left side of car and open the access panel that is roughly above the left front wheel. In there you will see some stuff like a canister (not at car at moment so making this up a bit) but down in one corner (mine was upper left as you are facing the open boot) you should see a knob that says "OFF ==>" on it. That is the battery cutoff switch for when the car is sitting.

If you register at www.owners.ferrari.com, you can download the owner's manual for your 348. In the Electrical Section there is a page explaining where this switch is.

HTH.

Cheers
    Kevin

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jim--

Did you find out where the heck the actual battery is? I have a Speciale as well, and I can't find it either. I know where the switch is though :)

9. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have a 1993 TB SS and the battery is just in front of the left front tire. Remove the tire to gain access to 4 or 6 bolts that hold on a vented sheet metal plate. Easy access. Bought a new battery at Autozone.

10. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I echo Jerry's comment- same situation on my '93 tb SS Challenge (#94285) as I recall.