Autozone SPEED F1 models - Instant "Sold Out!" | FerrariChat

Autozone SPEED F1 models - Instant "Sold Out!"

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by BigTex, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, talk about frustrating!

I went last Friday to see if the models had arrived, after reading on the internet about the F1 promotion......no one in the store knew anything about it....

Yesterday I dropped in and the whole end cap had sold out over last weekend! :(

Nothing left but a 1:24 Schumi and the regular Hot Wheels sized F1, from most of the teams...

Then I went to another Autozone store about 12 blocks down the street.......
    no one in the store knew anything about it.....

*Sigh*

2. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Alan,

Keep checking. I hit a few AutoZones this afternoon: First stop, I was told someone bought-out the inventory Monday night. Second stop: all that remained were the little Hot Wheels 1/64ths. Third stop - bingo. Clerks hadn't moved the models out of storage and onto the sales floor. Bought one of each and another of the 1/24s with the CD. At this location, the 1/18 Schumi was the same price as the other cars. Another store had the Ferrari for $10 more. Glad I waited. If you like, I can pick one up for you but it would probably run around $37-$40 with sales tax & shipping. E-mail me if you want me to proceed.

KevFla
    Orlando, FL

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now THAT's a good thought, about checking the back room!

One guy at the store that didn't have 'em said, "Models on Aisle 1.."
    Where they keep the normal cr@ppy stuff....

I said "Believe me, if YOU have to set this display up YOU'll remember it!" LOL!

There's a few more stores close by I'll check...but thanks for your kind offer!

1/24 were 19.95, 1/18 were 39.95, IIRC.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    KevFla,

What's on the CD? Schumi rapping? LOL!

5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I saw the TV ad a couple of weeks ago but didn't think of it much at the time, I’m sure they are asking quite a bit for them. I'll check the store up here regardless. Thank God I have the Mattel outlet store up here.

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    There are four models in each 1/18 & 1/24th set. Only the 1/24s have CD-ROMS except for the Benneton.

Ferrari: "Real engine sounds; Movie: F1 testing from Maranello; Promo film of the model; Wallpaper

McLaren: Driver bios of Kimi, David C & Alex Wurz; McLaren team stats; McLaren image gallery; wallpaper (rumored to be head shots of each babe Kimi banged since turning pro...just kidding).

Williams: Movies of wind tunnel testing; composition of F-1 car; airflow (?); screensaver wallpaper.

The 1/24s are priced at $19.95 and the 1/18ths are $29.95. The first Autozone I went to last week had the 1/18 Ferrari at $39.95 although a different location I went to this afternoon has all 1/18s at $29.95.

KevFla

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, Will if you don't mind.....the main deal is it is this year's cars supposedly... I don't know..the 1/24 I found was nice, but $20.00 is no special deal......

They even tried to overcharge me for the regular Hot Wheels! :(

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    ****UPDATE****

Just got off the phone with one of the many stores in Ft. Worth. They are a hot item, but not at $39.99. Do you still want one Speedy?

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I've just chatted on the phone with a few well meaning but not too F1 knowledgable clerks with heavy foreign accents......

I'll hit the streets in a few minutes and see what I can shake out!

I suppose this is all good news for the folks at SPEED that want to gather some US interest in the series......

Got some bad news from the Doc today...so I think I'll leave early and end up floating around in the pool.

Floating FACE UP, though.......LOL!

10. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    im out the door to see if my autozone has em, ill let u guys know

11. 96cobrakid

96cobrakid Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just bought the Michael 1:18th. they also had a ralph one. They are 30.00 and are very impressive. IF anyone would like me to pick one up and mail it out to them, just send me how much it is and Ill ship it out to you. Ill pack it extra well. I took mine out and got some pics of it to show all the details. here they are.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    $43.60 with tax, for Schumi 1:18!

I'm good! It is the F2003GA...not THIS YEAR's car.

The store I found them in had not set the end cap up. They were scattered all over the store! The guys were real interested when a knowledgable F1 fan showed up to find them......

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Are these 1/18's somehow different from the other 1/18 F1 Ferraris that Mattel makes?

14. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Picked up my F2003-GA up at autozone today. I guess it's about time I added some ferrari F1 cars to my collection.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Jimpo1....No.

It is, if installed in the store properly, a one stop shop for getting Jag, Mercedes, Ferrari, McClaren and Renault in the various scales..

1:18, 1:24, 1:43 "Pull Backs", and 1:64 Hot Wheels

The individual stores obviously have a wide variance in how they set it up, if at all.......

16. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    My local autozone had a 1/24 sitting on the counter and didn't even know how much it was???? After they figured out I wasn't leaving without it, they tracked down the manager and I bought it for $20. The smaller ones were pretty much sold out. I'd like a full set of the 1/24.
    They had some Ferraris and 1 Williams in the regular Hot Wheels size and again no price. Didn't even show up in their computer! I had them sit a few aside and left my number for them to call me when they knew how much they were.
    Good promotion for sure, based on the sell outs, but the Auto Zone chain and their employees should've been briefed on the deal or at least know the pricing. Speed should be encouraged by the results as it's the only channel the promotion runs on. Auto Zone should also be pleased as I dropped $140 on oil, wax, brake fluid, gear oil, and a model and the F1 promo was the only reason I walked in the place. Damn impulse purchases! Heck I even bought a K & N filter while I was there. $49.99 for a 308 didn't sound too painful.
    F1's not dead afterall. Just diluted by rednecks racing farm tractor technology vehicles in circles. :)

John

17. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I keep forgetting to ask when I go inside an AutoZone store. Anybody seen the poster? What does it look like?

KevFla

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They had a K&N for a 308???????
    The thought didn't even cross my mind...... LOL!

I'll see if I can snag the promo poster before they throw it away...

The end cap has never appeared in one store I'm watching.....

19. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The two Auto Zones near me had a few 1:24 Ferraris with the CD ROM. The manager said that people were at the store lined up for them. I asked who are these people, because no one I know around here watches F1.

Bad news is that he said they are a "sell through" promotion meaning no re-stocks. Too bad Speed is still showing the commercial with no product available. I am just glad that they were nothing unique. I had most of them already, but still searching for a 1:64 Jordan from 2003 (which is the latest release).

20. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

The ebay mentality has taken much of the fun away from collecting hot new releases such as these. One person goes into the store and buys all they have. Later that day you'll find these items on ebay for $10+ more than retail, and they sell like crazy. I see this happen over and over. Free enterprise I suppose, but its a pain in the ass most of the time.

21. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    I Found Mine @ The Local Store After Looking Around For About 5 Min. Or So. They Had Them On A End Cap @ The Back Of The Store. The Girl At The Register Did Not Even Know Anything About Them. I Ended Up With The 1:18, & 1:24 Schumacher. I Also Picked Up The Pullback 1:43 In The Blister. Also Grabbed All The 1:64 Of Each Team (6 Total). They Did Not Have Any Barrachello Cars Though. They Did Have Other Team Cars On The Shelf. All Said & Done I Walk Out Spending Only About $70. The Girl At The Counter Told Me To Check Back On FRIDAY. Shipment Comes On THURSDAY. HINT HINT.

22. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The saleman told me this, too. But then the manager told me about the "sell through" promotion thing and no restocks. Who knows? Maybe more on the way. Still need my Jordan 1:64.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My store next door although almost bare, still has some regular Hot Wheels size.

Is that what ya need Mule???

I'm gonna check two other stores in the area this afternoon......

24. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Regular Hot Wheels size 1:64 Jordan F1 car, part number #B1771 (I think, but I'm sure it starts with a "B"). If you see a few, I am looking for two. We can work out details - I will pay cost, shipping, effort, etc.

Thank you.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    B8771...I'm holding one in my hand.

I'll get ya two. Your money's no good in my town......:)

This may have been the last one from the store next door..

brb.....