Can't get the fuel filter loosened | FerrariChat

Can't get the fuel filter loosened

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Jul 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am in process of changing all the fuel hoses on my 328 and have a new filter to install at the same time. Problem is the access is tight and I can't get enough leverage on the wrench to loosen the fitting. The application of a little heat is not an option here of course. Anyone have any tips ?

2. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

Have you tried using Power Blaster 2000 and let it soak in the threads?

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No I didn't try any release oil yet, but it is a good idea, it may help. Problem is when I get the open end wrench on the nut and another on the counter torque hex there is only a small amount of space to lever against, and a good bit of swearing!!

Paul

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    It is tight.
    If I remember my filter change, I decided it was much easier to get at the fuel filter from up above, at least the top fitting.

I used tubing wrenches & let pressure against the firewall hold the counter-torque wrench while I broke the fitting loose. Soaked the fittings overnight with PB Blaster first.

I was replacing the accumulator, & did the filter 'while I was in there & it was only $15', so the fuel-pump/accumulator bracket were already out & out of the way. This opened up access to the bottom fitting.

5. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I decided to make up a tool for the job. I cut the end off an open ended wrench then brazed a large nut that will take a large socket. I agree that access from above looks to be the best bet so I tried the tool from a above using a long extension and it looks like it will do the job nicely. I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. The weather is nice so I am looking forward to taking her for ride this weekend. I feel happier knowing I have nice new fuel hoses.

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

These are tighter than hell. The secret of course is to get two wrenches on the nut on the filter and the other one on the hose. I was able to stand under my car and that makes it way easier.

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Pjay,
    Sounds like you just reinvented the crows-foot wrench.
    Or is the nut further away from the wrench end than a crows-foot?

Come to think of it, I may have used a crows-foot on a long extension to get the bottom connector off. Been a year & my memory isn't what it used to be.

8. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You are right Verell it is a crow's foot, I can't buy one in my area so I figured I would make one. My MIG welder is out of action and my arc welding is s**t so it broke, but it did manage to loosen it enough to get the nut off wth two wrenches. Now the lower nipple hex has rounded so I can't get the lower flex hose off. I will have to take the whole pump and filter assembly out to get this thing apart. I really love this car but working on them can be the biggest pain in the ***.