I guess the SL65 is a go... | FerrariChat

I guess the SL65 is a go...

Discussion in 'Other German' started by SkizoACE, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    It is unfortunate that they will not put a real sporty manual transmission in this car. I am just curious about how "often" owners will use some of that power ?

Bravo on giving away lots of power.

Who is the typical buyer ?

3. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    4'8", 40-50yo, Japanese woman, living on Oahu, looking for 'something' better that the 12 other AMG cars parked next to her at the Beauty Salon.

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Just as often you are able to use the power of your Diablo. ;) :D

5. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I heard its going to be just as fast as the SLR...why is that?

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Does anyone else find this car even more pointless than the SLR?

--Dan

7. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

Just curious, what is pointless about it?

600 hp/750 lb-ft is pretty impressive. Those are Enzo numbers, even if it doesn't have the light weight of the Enzo it will still be extremely fast. There may be several cars out or coming out which are in its price range, but they will still sell the few hundred 65's they are planning for the US.

The SL65 could be called the "everyday supercar". Very fast and probably reliable, when the (minimal) maintenance is required you just take it to your closest M-B dealer.

8. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I like it, but it's a shame it looks just like the other models in the SL class. Something with this much power & performance should have a distinct look.

9. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I've got "just" a lowly SL600 in inventory, and have been driving the car for the last 2 days.

That thing is pointless as well. But damn is it fun in an un-Hyundai sort of way !!

10. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Clax, I agree with you, it seems there is not enough visual diference between
    a SL500-55-600-65 to make buyers see the value in them.(remember the ZR-1 vettes)
    The bottom line is these cars offer a lot of performance with an understated
    appearance.

As far as a distinct look that is what the SLR is all about.
    It seems no matter how much performance MB puts in their cars they are always seen as a car for the woman to drive to the hair dresser(see above)

As far as being pointless, how can anyone who belongs to this board consider a V-12 turbocharged car pointless.(regardless of make)

I received a call last week about an SL65 that will be available soon,
    anyone interested?

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Imagine a weight-stripped version of that car, ala Stradale or SE... cut out all the fat and leave only carbon fiber trim - you could have a $200k SLR.

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

What about using the power of the Hayabusa ? I got you back !!!!

At least I can drive a manual. I also know the size of the motor.

13. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Redundant? Okay. Pointless? Well, ... aren't all of our cars? I mean, what's the point of owning an *ahem* 12 cylinder land shark good for 190 plus, when the limit is 65? I'm interested in the sl65, simply because its so ridiculous.

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Bikes are different ;) :D

Most of the AMG owners, usually use those cars as their daily driver, and have a manual super car at home. Don't judge the person by what they are driving. Some of these AMG guys have lambos/Ferraris at home. :)

Don't underestimate these AMG guys. Most owners are not your typical 55 year old ugly women who married some rich guy. Most are rather intuned with what AMG cars are.

I also agree with Steve B. How can people ask if this car is pointless? I mean in that sense Ferraris and Lambos are pointless too. Remember there are plenty of Jimmy540s in the exotic car world, just like there are some housewives driving automatic 700 Brabus Benz.

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Ryan I bet that housewife with the 700 Braubus Benz has a nice looking Prada purse.

Very nice.

I did not know quite a few AMG owners are real enthusiasts. I always thought they were just trying to keep up with the Jones.

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    With an available 7 year 100k mile warranty, minimal service requirements, 15k oil changes etc. I think the car is much more practical then a Fcar in terms of yearly operating costs. I would put away maybe 500 a year for an SL, just really for oil changes and tires mostly. No multi thousand service like fcars every 15 or 30k miles. Seeing how I drive an average of 22-26k miles a year on my daily, fcar would be a much more expensive prop. SL is almost practical.

yes I want one....I will take an 04 600SL thanks. :)

17. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have an SL65 scheduled to be here any day now. The AMG owners I know just love cars, cars that go very fast to be more specific. :)

18. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Seriously, I would buy this car over the SLR. First of all its a lot cheaper. Secondly, it performs just as well. Thirdly, it doesnt have a 'look at my super expensive rapidly moving vehicle' look...it just looks like another 5 and dime...
    Its hell on wheels that would challenge any Porsche...because the SLR is for the Ferraris and the Lambos...

19. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

I think this car will be one hell of performer with a real warranty and my only gripe is the same as yours, they need to change up the exterior enough to make it look like a different car. Who wants to spend 180k on a car that looks just like a mass produced 90k car? That is my biggest issue with the SL55 at 130k so at 180k I can wait for a deal on a nice used one in a few years.

20. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Jeff, the car will have some differences such as 19 inch wheels and some slight body treatment. I wish they would do more too, like Porsche did with the 97 and earlier 911 Turbo. Still, the car should be a screamer. The CL65 should be awesome too.

21. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I think people need to quit making assumptions about AMG owners.

22. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I think it is a really beautiful car, but what is the point of 604 hp when im sure the top speed is limited to 155mph.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The are a few companies that can reflash the ECU (or whatever) to get rid of the governor. I think RennTech is one...?

24. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:D ROFL!!! :D

Ralph, by the way, I am sure you will see a few of them in River Oaks. ;) If you find find a hot one, with a 5K purse, nice knockers and nice blonde hair, give her my cell number. :D

25. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Read about it somewhere, I think its limited at like 180 or close to that...anyone have the real stat?