Paint chip prevention | FerrariChat

Paint chip prevention

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Frank512, Jul 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank512

Frank512 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Marconi
    Does anyone have any experience of, or opinions on, the value of the various paint chip protection systems on the market ('Armorfend' etc). Do they work? Do they have any untoward side effects on the appearance/longevity of the treated paintwork?

Having recently observed at first hand the effects of a 1,000 mile round trip on the front of my car, it seems to me that if these systems work, they might save a lot of money on resprays.

2. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I use Armourfend on all my cars now. It definitely works, and while it is visible close up, it's not that noticeable unless you can see an edge (eg across the bonnet). The 456 was done 4 years ago and it's still in good nick.

There are other brands that use the same 3M film I believe, so you may be able to get a more competitive price. Depending on how much of the car you have done, it usually runs about £500. Front bumper, wheelarches and lower sills are the usual places.

Kevin

3. Frank512

Frank512 Karting

Jun 16, 2004
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Frank Marconi
    Many thanks for the feedback Kevin.

4. nevpugh308

nevpugh308 Rookie

Apr 13, 2004
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    Neville Pugh
    Presumably the Armourfend is some kind of clear plastic stuck to the paint ... doesn't the plastic itself start getting "chipped" (marked where the stones hit) ?

5. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Hi Neville

I have used armourfend and found that it is very resilient to stone chips. It is a plastic and can be replaced in sections should it become damaged.

James

6. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    well ive had armourfend on the 355 and cant say I would do it again.

Firstly, its best not to apply to the front of the bonnet as the 'line' shows badly.

Secondly, it does stop a most of the chips the problem is that the film can be penetrated by stones and it looks AWFUL when its been pierced.

Ok it can be replaced, but the film is expensive ( I paid 280 for front bumper fitted) and I can get a respray for about that.

Its not something I would do again!

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'd agree, having seen a number of Porsches with similar plastic protection looking very tatty.

Try driving really, really slowly, and at least 250 yds away from the car in front...!

8. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    might as well sell the ferrari and catch the bus after that statement