outdoor grills | FerrariChat

outdoor grills

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tifosi, Jul 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    looking to upgrade from my ducane gas grill. want to spent 1000k to 1500. I see jenn air, kemore elite, weber and expo has geln canyon??. not crazy about char broils upscale line, any info would be appreciated

2. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Frontgate has some nice ones. I have never used one in person but have heard good things about them. I don't know who makes them. I think they have different brands. Some of theirs may be vikings. IIRC

www.frontgate.com

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I got the Weber Platinum Series. Works great.

Also...look at Costco. They have a few SS models now (not Kirkland) that look nice.

DL

4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

I have the frontgate 56" - cannot be beat... Let me know - I can hook you up - live next to the outlet here in Cincy... (Frontgate is there own brand - they also work with Viking and DCS on some models)...

WWW.frontgate.com

5. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I had a Sunbeam, which was garbage (never seemed to get hot enough and/or cook evenly). Then I had a Webber, which was ok (worked sufficiently, but nothing good/bad or indifferent to claim). Now I have a TEC stainless built in w/ stainless built in hood, etc... - Awesome!

Although the TEC is around $3-4k just for the grill (stand, hood, etc.. all separate - mine built in w/ countertop/lighted & vented hood/summer kitchen was about $8k), it can't be beat, IMO. Although this may seem like an insane amount to spend on a grill, If you like to grill, it really is worth the $$. (Ferrari owners would probably be one of the small bunch of people on the planet that would understand this!! :) )

TEC grills use a ceramic heating box that works simmilar to a catilytic converter & reaches much higher temps than typical grills, which helps sear steaks perfectly. This is the same type of grill used at the top steak houses.

6. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Funny, i was just thinking about starting a thread on this very subject. What's the word on these? http://www.dcs-range.com/outdoor/detail.php?id=36 (Thinking about a 30 inch- don't have to cook for troops; maybe having it installed into stonework in the kitchen patio; i really want to achieve that searing steak heat; would hook up to natural gas line).

7. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
  8. Srgtfury

Srgtfury Rookie

May 16, 2004
    I am installing a an upgrade myself. I settled on the Lynx product line. Very important to me was the Searing capability-500degrees. So, for my application, the Lynx42 Professional with Pro Sear was spot on.

Thank you very much

Fury

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I have a big fancy looking stainless grill, can't recall the name right now....
    Wish i kept the Weber. Built like a tank and idiot proof with no flareups.
    Dont get a grill thats bigger than you will typically need on a day to day basis,
    or you get uneven hot spots typically.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have to agree w/ Fred, buy a TEC. You don't have to spend $8k, you can buy their 'entry' model for about $1300 online. Do a little searching online for the best price. I just bought my 2nd one last December, after I literally wore the first one out. All the grills are infra-red, and you can't believe how well they cook.

http://www.tecgrills.com/

11. Charles

Charles Rookie

Nov 12, 2003
    I have an Iron Work Stainless Steel - $4k with 48in cooking area and 75k btu side burner. I bought way beyond my needs. 99% of time I cooking 2 - 3 burgers and I have enough room to cook (are your ready for this) 96 burgers at one time!!!

My suggestion, buy for what you need 95% of the time. Its easy to get sucked into all the frufru. Don't waste your money. If I could, I would return my grill and get a nice charcoal weber for $75 and put 3,900 into some other toy!

Good luck... Charles

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Unless you're some kind of Gourmet Chef who grills for 50 people simultaneously, go with a Webber Genesis with cast-iron grates.

13. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    thanks for the replies, Bill, I have heard good things about DCS, they make kitchen appliances as well. They don't spend a lot on advertising like the Thermador and Viking but they still make a good product from what I have heard.

14. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    I have an eight year old TEC. It simply cannot be beat. I would definitely advise that you look for a lower end TEC before spending money on anything else. The "Big Green Egg" in Tampa, Florida (which also sells the Big Green Egg- great for bar-b-que and slower cooking but not as versatile as the TEC IMO) has some of the best prices around and will ship anywhere.

With all due respect, IMO Frontgate sells some of the most overpriced, overrated ka-ka around. Note how they recently got into the high end grill business- and that their prices zoom off the top end of the scale. They do have a pretty catalog.

TEC has been around for years. Their retail outlets are weak but you can call the factory directly for parts or assistance and real people answer the phone.
    Try that with Frontgate.

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    My buddy burned a couple of New Yorks for me on his TEC and they were some of the best I've ever had. Did potatoes on it too. Impressive.

17. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Well not to dissagree - but with frontgate you can get DCS or Viking, etc. And the best part is they deliver, setup and service at your home - if needed... However - they are pricey... But that is why I mention there outlet centers - they have one in Cincy and one in Atlanta... I got my DCS 56" delux (usually retails for 6,800) - for 1,300... The outlet sells the ones they use in Home shows, etc... (Used but never really used) - which makes it a great deal...

On the TEC side - I do have a few friends that also swear by them as well - but also pretty high in price - for the larger models...

18. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred

This is where you will learn 'why' TEC grills are awesome - infared cooking, great warranty, etc... BUT, if you really want to be sold, try one yourself!

The only downside to my TEC grill is that when I go to steakhouses I now order fish since they can't grill a steak as well as I can on my grill.

No question, TEC is the way to go.

By the way, regarding warranty, they are awesome! They answer the phone and stand behind the product - lifetime on outer, 10 years on internal parts, no b.s.