Progressive Insurance? Yea or Nay????? | FerrariChat

Progressive Insurance? Yea or Nay?????

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ty (360mode), Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    doing a little homework for my folks. cars they would be insuring are an '03 ML320 and an '04 Cayenne S. did a search and found some positive comments but would appreciate any additional first hand experience.

the online quote i got from progressive was literally over 50% cheaper than USAA (the new car is the Cayenne which is replacing a '99 ML320). don't mind paying a little more for USAA b/c their service is impeccable, but this was pretty dissapointing and surprising to us. USAA's quote on the Pepper was INSANE. i kept asking her if the VIN was pulling up a Pepper Turbo or an Enzo or something :) it was over 3x what it cost to insure the '03 ML.

TIA.

2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Online quotes mean nothing. Its just a computer formula referencing a spreadsheet of Blue Book Values. I've had quotes done before, I've filled out paperwork for insurance policies, I've been given interim coverage.....all to have the carpet yanked out from underneath me by the UNDERWRITER - who said 'NO', even after the company cashed my check.

Until you talk to the underwriter and he says 'yes', you don't have JACK. The underwriter assesses the company's risk.....Is Jr. of driving age? Will Jr. be driving the $65,000 Porsche SUV? Does Mommy and/or Daddy have any speeding tickets? Moving Violations? Accidents? Do they have any claims, even for stone chips in the windshield, or a scratched fender? Do they commute into the city? Live near a high-crime area? Does the neighborhood have a history of car theft?

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    "mommy and daddy"? "Jr."? are you referring to me as Jr.?? LOL.

i understand that the quote is just an estimate, obviously. although most of your questions were asked in the quote. i don't expect a "real" quote to be exactly the same, but at least w/n shouting distance.

thanks for the insight but my question was whether anyone had personal experience w/ progressive, not whether insurance companies suck or not - since we know the answer to that...

4. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    To you question:

Progressive several years back moved from the "high risk" arena to every day insurance... They are now a tier 1 provider and usually have good rates... Just do the normal due diligence - what kind of deductible, who is insured, etc...

I personally use Chubb - they are great in the high end market - a little more expensive - but the service, etc. is incredible.

For what it is worth...

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I went to Progressive a little over 6 months ago after Geico dropped me from great rates just for asking about "a track driver education event". Their rates are twice what Geicos are, but I've heard from others they have decent rates. I got a quote from All State now that is less than my original Geico rates, but I'm still considering classic car insurance since I have a garage now.

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Sorry to assume you were a 'young fella'......the point I was trying to make was, there are LOTS of other factors that will, ultimately, determine what your actual quote will be. The computer quotes don't take these into account at all, so you'll be baited (low-balled) into bringing your business in the door. Then the Underwriter will be assessing all sorts of factors that will raise or lower your quote, but once they get you in the door, they probably figure that you'll just write the check.

To mitigate risk, insurance companies will try to get you to switch everything you have to them - ALL your cars (not just one), your house, life insurance, etc. You'll get discounts, but there are downsides if you don't read the fine print on what they're offering you.

7. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Even your credit rating is a factor in insurance.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    My only comments would be that Progressive allows me to use my 348 without the silly limitations on "club events, etc." and that they covered my claim on a broken windscreen (VERY spendy) with no problems and no questions asked.

9. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    They are not the cheapest but they offer good service at a reasonable price. I don't have the best driving record, so they offer the best rate with actual help when its needed. Unlike some other companies who take forever to get back with you. And you can pay your bill online and other things online. Not a bad company but if you have a great driving history, you can probably find better and cheaper.