A few 355 sterio pics. WARNING modified, purists dont look. | FerrariChat

A few 355 sterio pics. WARNING modified, purists dont look.

Discussion in '348/355' started by chaa, Jul 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    A pics of the 355 spider ICE system.It consists of x2 Alpine tweeters (150w), x2 Infinity tweeters (150w), x2 6 1/2in Alpine mids (200w), x2 JL subs (350w & 300w), x4 Alpine Xovers,x2 pheonix gold amps (800w each) 10 disc changer, Kenwood retractable head set with mp3 player and wheel mounted remote. Future plans will be to extend the rear custum box air space to include two more 6 1/2in mids in seperated from subs air space., this should be ready some time in the next three weeks.Hey Dont moan just live with it.

2. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    4 more.

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Charlie -

The stereo seems cool -- but the control unit on the steering wheel must be extremely dangerous, no? On a track, or twisty/agressive road, it seems like it would be constantly in the way.

Any more pictures of how it's connected/works?

-Daniel

4. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Daniel, no its only velcroed on, it works by infered to the head unit,it all self contained.It has never got in the way.If at anytime i dont need it i take it of, simple.

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I think Daniel implied dangerous with regard to the airbag deploying (heaven forbid). Why couldnt you place it somewhere along the center console? The wire running along the instruments and steering column looks sloppy IMHO.

6. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    OH MY GOD. i guess its all a matter of taste..........what the hell is on the floor?

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not to be an idiot or anything..But I think the job could have been done much neater. The amp should have been mounted in the front trunk area and the wiring for it run trough the gromet for the fresh air intake into the passenger compartment. I'm assuming speaker covers are going to be made for the doors. The crossover also could have been mounted in front as well. The tweeters could have been mounted under inbehined the dash vents so they get hidden..but the sound still comes through. The box in the back is good but there are low profile speakers now available so they can be tucked quit nicely away, and are very unintrusive to the function of the roof.

Nice 355 though..wish I had one..(well the engine anyway)

8. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Whats on the floor? They are the footplates on a set of car mats, made for the 355 by auto style, do a search and look at the whole mat. You know its funny, i know people have got there opinions and thats fine, but i dont see YOU putting up your pics to show how its done, its also strange the negative responce one gets about things that people do to there cars, and yet since i have been talking about ICE systems in the 355 and 360 since last week, i have had 9 PMs and emails regarding instaling ice from other 355 owners. And the people I have chatted with who to are 355 owners, love the idea of upgrading there systems, but know they will be just shot down by small minded owners, shame that.The system in my car will blow ya ears out, roof up or down and if i dont like what i hear i turn it of.I am also starting to fit ice to my diablo, that will be bigger and better than the 355. I would like to see what others who are negative have done. Go on show yours,and before you start going on about the standard factory system....its crap all round. PS. Tbakowsky, who said the box was intrusive the the working of the hood, its not at all, i know that i could have hidden its all but i did not want to, whats the point in spending thousands on Ice and hiding it? And why put the amps in the boot? when the seats are in there standard position you cant even see the amps,theres one behind each seat,and i still have a front boot, so your point is?As far as the low profile subs you are talking about, what make and type have you got in mind? do you even know what your talking about? Wheres yours instal?? Oh and the speakers have got covers on, there Alpine golds, so that tells me you dont know what ya talkin about.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Chaa read my post again I said LESS intrusuive. Look I wasn't putting down your install..I was just saying it could have been done much neater...but to each his own. Yes your speakers in the doors looked like they did not have any covers on then due to the lighting. But I simply was asking if you have any that hide the speaker better. It does look sort of out of place with the rest of the interior. Lower profile speakers are available on this side of the ocean..maybe your a few years behind in speaker tech or haven't done you homework. Basicly the speakers have a thinner magnet so the surrounding box does not have to be as deep. This makes for a much less intrusive install and the sound can be the same if not better.

ALL Ferrari's I have seen with stereo mod's in the TR, 348, 355 series cars all have the amps mounted safely up front in the boot. They can run much cooler here as they are not in a confind space inbehind or under a seat. They also can be displayed much better in this enviroment if you want to show them off. There is so much more room there to make a really nice set up for your equipment with lights or what ever you like. I wish I snapped pictures of one of the Ferrari's that I have come in for service. The install on this 355 is second to none..he has won many stereo contests with it due to the clean way it has been installed in the car. Everything looks almost as if the factory did it. His car is also a spider. The next time it comes in I will snap picks of it for you so you can see what can be done with a little bit of planning and reasearch. Oh, and it POUNDS man alive does it ever sound good!!

I'm sorry you take offense when you ask for input from a board that likes Ferrari's to remain relativly stock. You asked for and you got it and now you are angry about it. If you want people to look at somthing expect people to say they like it or don't like it and why. You must be prepared for this.

10. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You think i beleve all the above crap about you have seen this and that, as far as speakers in the doors, if you knew what you were talking about you would know they are in the standard position for a 95 model.The point of haveing Alpine gold is that the gold cone shows through, but if you knew what you were talking about you would know. Dont tell us about these so called fantastic instals that you saw or did,show us. About the name of the low profile subs, have you got any in mind....no thought not.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Chaa take a chill pill guy...you are way over reacting. I really don't care what you think and you shouldn't care what I or others think if you are comfortable with your sloppy install. How did you fasten the tweeters on the pillers? doulbe sided tape? How did fasten the tweeters on the dash same way I guess. You just through this sytem in your car with out any thought or care put into the project. This just shows me and everybody else that you are too cheap to get the job done correctly. If you know so much about stereo's and installs you would know what you have done is not conducive to good sound at all. It may make noise but thats about it. Now that being said..have a look at JL audio, Macintosh, infinity and even Panasonic for the lower profile speakers I'm speaking of. I put a set in my 308 as a lager magnet would have interfeared with the window operation.

As far as the speaker being in the stock location I'm not 100% sure on that one. It's been a while since I had the door panel off a 355, I thought they were more forward but I could be wrong. But the only difference is you can see your speaker while you can't see the stock one. Speakers should be heard not seen if possiable. Just ask anybody in the installation world for either home or car. Hideing the speakers is key to a clean ans sucessful installation. You on the other hand like the look of open speakers and ducttaped tweeters in a beautiful car. That is your poor taste and chioce. Why do you think car manufactures go through so much expense and trouble designing nice encloseuers for speakers? Why don't they just screw them into the door and be done with it? Why do you think your Ferrari and everyother Ferrari's speakers are coverd? Becuase open speakers look ugly thats why.

To me it looks like your seeking approval for an install your not to sure your happy with. I figure if you like what you did to your car then go in peace and be happy. But that is not the case here. You want to feel good about a lousy install and your worst fears are being pointed out by another person who has seen and done much better. I personaly haven't done any stereo mods to my Ferrari becuae the design of the interior does not allow enough flexability. I did install a new deck and door speakers but that it. I don't listen to the radio in my Ferrari anyway. I enjoy driving it..not posing in it.

12. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#12 maranelloman, Jul 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Chaa started off by saying purists should look away...but for the most part (in what I have seen in only a short time in F-Chat) F-Chat is all about purists and modifications should not be so obvious. I would never butcher my 308 in such a manner. Even if the stereo sounds better, the install looks terrible (in my purist opinion). Obviously Chaa does not care about the purity of a Ferrari...good for him. Obviously, he will never enter his 355 in a Ferrari Concours. To each his own. But, previous posts are correct...if you don't want to read varying opinions, don't post pictures or statements...and it is very rude (in my opinion) to lash out at those who offer their views. I personally do not have much time (or respect) for those who simply buy a Ferrari for the status they think the name brings to the person. I much prefer to hang out with the purists who cherish the history of Ferrari, enjoy the present, and look forward to what the future will bring.

Chaa, enjoy your stereo...rock on!

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Along with fast cars, the man likes his tunes, so the means justifies the end.

What's this about a Diablo?

15. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Ok guys your comments have been taken on board.In my closeing defence i would like to say this.You will see in the pic bellow,the standard position for the 95 355, the speaker you see (or not see becourse ferrari spent so much money to hide it so well) is the standard speaker that came as original equipment, if you look in the 95 355 hand book you will see the very same protruding speaker from that location. Also when one buys the very expensive tweeters,included in the system is sticky pads as well as screws, i opted for the pads so i would not dammage any surfaces and the whole car can be put back to standard easly.Tweeters are suppose to be positioned for maximum sound effect,and any instaler will tell you the same.I bet there are ferrari owners today after reading this thread, i bet they are now looking at the after market tweeters that are positioned on top of there dash and thinking the F-chat monster wont like that.
    And finaly Gilnsammy, you talk about me buying a ferrari for status, mm, its wise for you not to asume such matters, i have exotic cars and bikes and homes not for status but becourse i like them, my whole every day life consists of luxury cars, homes both here and abroad, and luxury boats and locations, so you see buying a ferrari means nothing in the whole picture of my life style. So you got that very wrong i am afraid. Its easy as a new member to jump on a band wagon trying to score points, i respect your opinion regarding cars but you know nothing about the life style i am involved in. But you will see that if you ever do anything to atract the attention on the F chat monster...man its a B***H. What some people do as well is they set them self up for the fall, what i mean is, now people will be looking for any pics they them self post to see if every thing is present and correct, and maybe thats why most darnt post pics.I think f-chat is a great place and have had some realy heated arguments in the past, but i hold no grudges against any one on here no matter whats said, becourse its all good.Good luck.

16. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    sloppy job on the installers part:( You should have shopped around for a better place to do the install and possibly found someone with experience in installing stereos in Ferraris....I was at Car Toys and they were showing off pics of a Diablo they had done, I would'nt let those guys chage the head unit in a Hyundai:)

17. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Chaa...you're entitled to your opinions and I am entitled to mine. In my work, I am paid to be able to read people (both actions and words). I am in no way saying you are a bad person when I stated that it appears you have the Ferrari for status...that's not necessarily a bad thing...it just is not the Ferrari way (in my opinion). You helped me add credibility to my point when you wrote "my whole every day life consists of luxury cars, homes both here and abroad, and luxury boats and locations, so you see buying a ferrari means nothing in the whole picture of my life style." First, you brag about all your luxury possessions (which I would too if I were as lucky as you)...second (and most important) you wrote that "buying a Ferrari means nothing in the whole picture..." Well, to me and all the Ferrari owners I have ever spoken to, buying a Ferrari DOES mean something. We have a life long passion for Ferrari and ownership is about the history of Ferrari and fullfilling our passions...and not just owning a hot car, but owning a piece of history. And most important, DRIVING a piece of history. I for one prefer the music of the engine to playing a CD...Again, nothing against the ultra rich who can have houses and boats and exotic cars, but I feel this site is more about the love of Ferrari. I am in no way jumping on the bandwagon to gain points with others on this site as I gain nothing from such alleged acts. It seems that if an opinion is different from your's you take offense. No offense intended. I guess I am just a purist and you warned us from the begining. I say again, as far as Ferrari...I am a purist. If we are talking about homes, boats, etc...I'm all about luxury (just cannot aford it). You are lucky to be in a position to aford all the luxuries life offers and I would enjoy seeing some pics of your other toys, homes, boats. Good luck in all you do and continue enjoying the pleasures of wealth...

18. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    you can do what ever you want to your car, but if you post you should expect it may not be to all tastes, why you would want to blow your ears off i dont understand. IMO there is nothing worse than a car passing you with sound blasting out, BUT if you enjoy it have fun.

19. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Murcie... I think he did the install himself, but I could be wrong.

And seriously CHAA... you shldnt post pictures if you dont want feedback. I think upgrading your sound sytem was a great idea. But the install was really hacked. Of any group of car guys, you gotta know the Ferrari enthusiasts will be most particular.

20. Matter of tayste is right it would look alot better if everything was hidden OEM like.

21. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Chaa,

Did you do this install yourself? If so good job but if I can point out a couple things that make it easier. The crossovers in the footwells will do much better up front under the hood that way there is no chance a foot will rip one of the wires out. If you want to show them take the amps and crossovers up front and mount them flush. Take a board and mount them and then take a finished cap(or another board) of some sort and mount that over the amps and crossovers(of course having cut out the proper shape of the amps and crossovers) Let me know if you would like to see some examples. These two things are very simple to do and will make your install look very clean.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The only comment I would make is the positioning of the control on the steering wheel.

I'd rather it was under the steering wheel NOT on the steering wheel. A car first and foremost should be about driving ... stereo controls come second (and to some a very close second ;)).

My car has the cd control thingie just to the side of the steering wheel column and it is perfect. I can reach it with no effort ...

Pete's opinion

23. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Maybe the opposite viewpoint would be to keep the hands as close to the wheel as possible! Hence stereo controls on luxury cars.

24. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    The main problem I see with the remote on the wheel is that when you make a turn(sometimes you are required to do that unless you have a lambo) that wire will get tangled. Safety alone dictates that the remote gets placed somewhere else. Try finding a cool place on the center console.

25. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    #25 ric355, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Charlie said the remote is infra-red, but you are right - there is a wire leaving the remote. But if you look closely it seems to lead to a small sender that is also mounted on the steering wheel - presumably pointing at the head unit. So the remote is self contained and shouldn't get tangled when he turns the wheel.

At least that's how it looks to me from the picture. I've played with the colour levels a bit to try and make it stand out a bit more:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login