New Modena info... (AWD debate) | FerrariChat

New Modena info... (AWD debate)

Discussion in '360/430' started by david1175, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. david1175

david1175 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    in the doghouse
    Full Name:
    David
    In case you haven't heard...According to the August issue of Car & Driver:

The new 360 replacement will come w/ the 4.2 V8 putting out 450HP, but apparently, Ferrari has registered the F430 name in several markets (???). It will have Enzo headlights and tail-lights and the production model will be the first few months of 05 at either Detroit or Geneva.

Are there any other reports out there on the "420"?

Just my opinion, but this still puts them behind Lamborghini... The Gallardo's 500 HP AND AWD. Come on Ferrari, quit playing catch-up and put something better in the replacement. I love the prancing horse but there is such a thing as competition...

2. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Catch up Ferrari !?!

From my understanding the Ferrrari out performs it's Lambo countpart with a 400 HP engine. It will eat it up w/450 HP..

The only thing that Ferrari may need to look into is the 4WD thing.

My cents
    Ron

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I for one would never want to see a 4WD Ferrari. It just isnt them, IMO.

4. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Really? I don't think so. The 360 has 400hp now and gets eaten by the Gallardo.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i heard on some tv show last week, i forgot which one, but the F430 will have a 500hp engine, not 450hp.

7. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    AWD is for trucks, not sports cars. i hope ferrari never goes down that path.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Before anyone denounces AWD for sports cars, please consider other manufactures that have used this system & with incredible results. If it improves car control, handling, & safety, I’m all for it.

9. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    The 911TT is one of the best performing, most successful, and well-balanced road cars of all time, and uses an AWD system. Something tells me that Porsche did their homework. Would you prefer a 911TT without AWD? Have you driven a 911TT? Have you driven any sports car with AWD? (Murcielago, Gallardo, 911TT, etc). I'd be interested to know how your opinion is generated, or if it is just based on the fact that "Ferrari doesn't do it, so it can't be good." I've driven all of the aforementioned cars and the AWD system is excellent, both on the road and on the race track.

10. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    a lot of things currently available in cars would improve control, handling and safety - that doesn't mean i would want all of them in a sports car. AWD makes a car feel so numb. i've never driven a gallardo so i can't speak for how the lambo awd drives but i have driven/owned awd variations of pcars and it kills the feel of the car for me... and that's what i love most about fcars.

11. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    clax, yes, i've owned a 996TT and have driven many others. i never said it doesn't perform well, just that i don't like the feel of it. that's great you like it, i don't. i'm hardly in the rah rah go ferrari camp.

12. rdargenio

rdargenio Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    Yardley, Pa.
    The AWD system in the 996TT is very good, but I just gave up the TT for a 355. As much as I liked the Porsche (my 6th one, had it for 3 years and 16,000 miles), after a while I just wanted something with less bulk/lighter weight, and less HP was OK.
    RD

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

AWD for a true performance car sucks....it adds weight and upsets the balance. Why do you think even Porsche has the GT2, for people who want all out performance. Porsche has even said that the 911 TT is made for the average persons driving skills. A real driver would want RWD over AWD anyday. And yes I have owned and driven both.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    You can create excellent handling balance with AWD in a racecar. Weight, however, is the very obvious drawback. Added loss in drivetrain, etc.

--Dan

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

AWD will always push and feel "heavy".
    RWD can be "driven" with the throttle much more.
    I have driven a 911 TT and a GT2, the GT2 is MUCH better on a track.
    And I race SCCA and do autoX so I know what I am taling about.

16. Aradune

Aradune Karting

Jul 11, 2004
    San Diego
    Have driven a 360 Modena, 360 CS, and a 996tt extensively (owned all 3 -- sold the Modena to get the CS, but still have the 996tt, love it, and have 13,000+ miles on it, including track time).

I like AWD for daily driving, safety, the rain, etc. I do not care for it on the track. Maybe it's just me. Then again, last time I checked the GT3, GT2, and Carrera GT don't have AWD either, so Posrche must not think it's uber-alles as well, but rather advantageous in some situations and not in others :)

17. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It really isn't all about HP and the 360CS (409hp static, 425hp dynamic if Ferrari are to be believed) does eat the Gallardo in every test I've seen.