Does anyone have keyless entry in their 328? | FerrariChat

Does anyone have keyless entry in their 328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi guys,

I installed keyless entry in my old 308; it was great. I'm trying to do the same thing in the 328. I thought it would be an easier job because this car already has actuators (door lock motors) INSIDE the door.

If/when I get this to work, I'm going to post all the details, but for now suffice it to say there are two wires that run in between each actuator, which I've found. The driver door lock will control the passenger one, and unlike earlier 328s, the passenger one will ALSO control the driver door lock.

The behavior seems to be pretty complex, and I've pretty much concluded that the actuators also serve as SWITCHES, applying voltage and/or ground and/or reversing polarity across one of the two wires.

A quick call to tech support at Crime Guard, and the guy actually looked up the 328, understood what it had, and said I couldn't interface into those actuators. He said that I'd need to "piggyback" a THIRD actuator/motor ON TOP OF the driver's actuator/motor. Great.

I'm thinking of replacing the actuators with "sane" aftermarket ones, which wouldn't be too hard (would have to remove the door panels), and what's nice is, there are already wires run for me, which was the hardest part of the job in the 308.

Trouble with that is, the actuators appear to be wired into the little courtesy lamps on the outside of the door (points behind the car) and UNDERNEATH the armrest (points down), on each side. That's what the wiring diagram says, and my experimentation with connecting/disconnecting the pertinent wires seems to confirm it.

So. For my own sanity. I just need to know if maybe this is just more simple than I'm making it out to be. I need to know:

Does anybody own a 328 (not any other car, please) AND use a remote transmitter ("keyless entry remote") to lock and unlock your doors?

Thanks,

--Mike

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Don't do it Mike.

3. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Mike,

I had the Viper system installed by "Tweeters" http://www.tweeter.com/home/index.jsp

I checked a bunch of places before allowing anyone the chance to screw it up. The (vista Ca.) store actually had the schematics plus the installer had 20+ yrs experience. ( I'd check each store location out first though )

Anyhow, the install was flawless ... Works fantastic...

Good luck
    Patrick

* I think they had to add another actuator on mine. Passenger door would not unlock the drivers side.

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I had it in my 328 and it was a pain in the a**......It was unpredictable and set off the alarm at the most inopportune time... Finally, I had to pay a technician to disarm it for good...

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Yeah, this is NOT an alarm system. Keyless entry only. I don't do the aftermarket alarm thing, but once you've had keyless entry, you won't go back.

I'm thinking that I may just have to bite the bullet and add the extra actuator piggybacked onto the driver's door...

Still looking to hear about more folks who have remote door locking/unlocking capability...