XJ220S won 2nd place people's choice | FerrariChat

XJ220S won 2nd place people's choice

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by XJ220S, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XJ220S

XJ220S Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    It was great to see many of our friends at the art center yesterday. Thanks Byron, Steve and everyone else for stopping by and saying hello. It was a really nice turnout.

My XJ220-S won second place people's choice award. I appreciate everyone who voted for it. There were so many nice cars out there that it was impossible to chose one over another.

We should be organizing a nice get together again in Glendale. Byron arrange the date and the setup with Matt. We should do the Angeles Crest run again. However this time I'll make sure we have 2 or 3 camera on top at the straight away for some nice fly by videos.

Here are some pictures from yesterday.

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Vahe,
    Let me be the first here to congratulate you... as always, your car looks spectacular! The show was fun... a little warm, but fun nonetheless... too bad you couldn't join the few of us that made it out to lunch at The Castaway... what a great location! Sorry Steve, Doug... and others that didn't make it... the group was leaving and I couldn't find you guys in time!!

Hopefully I'll get to see everyone again this saturday.

Congrats again - you're right, that trophy's beautiful!

Byron

3. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What car won first? Nice pics!

4. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    The black 1930's Alfa Romeo.

Brad

5. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Is that silver one with gullwing doors a Koenigsegg?!

6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think you're talking about the Saleen S7. Koenigsegg is smaller, doesn't have as many intakes, and the doors open out then straight up, more like Lambo scissor doors.

BTW, there's a set of good Supercar articles in this month's CAR magazine (UK).

7. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Congrats Vahe, well deserved.....

8. FastRed355

FastRed355 Formula 3

Oct 3, 2003
    Westwood
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good seeing everyone. A lot of great cars.
    My next favorite was the F-50. Also, had to admire the DB-7.

9. AlbertFattal

AlbertFattal Karting

Apr 10, 2004
    XJ220S, I have some photos of your car from the show, enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of the Saleen S7 you were wondering about:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. XJ220S

XJ220S Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    Thanks Albert.

11. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Congrats!
    It's a very nice car, and very rare.
    How many HP doest the car make now?

12. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Congrates on 2nd place.
    Did anyone else notice the exhaust on the F-40? The center pipe was clean. Does it ever get driven hard enough to open the waste gate??

Rick

13. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I love XJ220's. I jus don't understand why the value of the car is not as high as a F40 or a F50. It is certainly capable of keeping up and even more then just keeping up with those cars. Your car looks VERY sweet thoguh! Congradulations on the 2nd place.

14. Viper 10

Viper 10 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brad Chang
    Rick:

That was Robert Petersen's personal car that is on display in the Petersen Automotive Museum. Dick Messer (the Director of the museum) drove the car directly from the museum that day.

Brad

15. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Armen,
    Keep in mind that the XJ220-S at the show is one of five made in the world... so it is substantially more valuable than a standard XJ220... and faster, too! (Trust me, I've ridden in it!) But as with any car, value is determined by each individual driver, owner, and collector. One pays what he/she thinks the car is worth, no matter the car!

Byron

16. XJ220S

XJ220S Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    I appreciate all the compliments and the pictures posted.

The exotic car market has turned up and is going crazy.
    250 GTOs are bringing about 9 million. They used to be in the 4 million range.
    Ferrari Lusso's are bringing 250K to 300K they used to go for 120K-140K.
    Dino's were in the 40K-50K range, they are bringing high 70s to 110K.
    Miura S was going for $110, now they are $170-180K. Miura SV is over $300K.
    F40s are in the mid 300s. They went as low as 225K. In 89 they were over $1 Million. Enzo is well into the Million mark and continuously going up. McLaren has climbed to 1.5 Million.

Everything is moving fast. Compared to housing and other commodities, exotic collector cars are extremely undervalued.

The XJ220S was selling for 7 digits in 94. I am getting offers in the 600-750K range. I've had numerous very strong interested collectors' interest in the past month. I see a repeat of 1989 and then some.

There is a lot of liquidity in the markets and this money has to find a home. Exotic cars are very undervalued. Especially older cars that are out of production. The rarer they are and if the mark is a major auto producer, the more money they will bring. Historic Jaguars and Ferraris will fetch some serious money.

I believe the regular XJ220 which was selling for $745K will start climbing fast in value as well. The regular XJ220 went for as low as $160K!!! Now they're in the mid 250-350K range.

This is just the begining.

Other than XJ220, I believe more common exotics such as the Ferrari Boxers, Lambo Countach, all Miuras, Diablos, even the Testarossas are on the way up and moving quickly.

17. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    I disagree. Boxer and Miura will most likely move up. However, the TR, Countach(junk) and Diablos(bigger junk) might stay where they are and will fall over the years. XJ220's are cool but the lack of 6 more cylinders (remember that mess) will also limit it's potential as far as price. You can still find them under 200K if you really look around.

The F40 was the crown jewel for the 80's cars. The silver TR is hands down the overall king of that show.

18. h22gordo

h22gordo Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Gordan
    Congrats to you Vahe!!!

Did you only bring the black one???

19. MAHOOL

MAHOOL Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    O-town, Florida
    Full Name:
    Mel
    GOT ANY INTERIOR PICS OF YOUR XJ220'S????????

CONGRATS!!!!!

20. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I've gotta chime in here. Vahe, the pictures of your XJ220S in some of the posts here looked like black glass! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! CONGRATULATIONS. Maybe someday, I'll see it in the metal.

As a side note, about a month back, I saw a green XJ220 getting flat-bedded out on Malibu Cyn road. Anyone know who's that was?

21. XJ220S

XJ220S Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    Using words like "junk" to refer to super cars is a bit too strong. No one thought real estate would go through the roof like it did, neither did anyone think the Nasdaq would come crashing down. By the same token no one could've imagined the bullish exotic car market of 89. Therefore as Byron put it earlier, it's a matter of what people are willing to pay and what a market will bear. If a medium priced BMW is stickered in the 60Ks, then there is no reason why a historc vehicle like TR or Countach should be valued at the same price. Speculation is a way of creating wealth in this country. When demand rises over supply, prices will go up. I am claerly seeing this trend developing.

As far as the XJ220, the reason why the car had problems was not because it was a 6 cylinder. The 6 cylnder twin turbo was a new race engine that became available in the early 90s after the 12 cylinder prototype was introduced. This new engine was much lighter, smaller and produced greater power. The smaller size enabled Jaguar to actually reduce XJ220's lenght by a foot to the current one. As many put down their non-refundable deposits on the XJ220 in 89, by the time the car went into production, world wide recession was in full swing. The Japanese economy was a mess and real estate values were dropping like the titanic. The coincidence of Jaguar deciding to go with a newer technology lighter engine, was the excuse that many sour investors were trying to use to get themselves out of their contract. By the time (1995) the case was resolved in favor of Jaguar, production had been long halted. There were much fewer number of cars produced than originally intended.

It is such unusal events and mishaps that actually end up contributing to a greater percentage in the future appreciation of rare items. A simple example is the 63 Corvette split window. The reason why this first year car was descontinued yet brings in more money than the year's to follow, is because of the split window design which bisected the driver's view. However 30-40 year's later this fluke in design has more value since there were less of them produced. The same goes for the few 1976 fiberglass 308's, as compared to the year's that followed.

22. XJ220S

XJ220S Karting

Feb 2, 2004
    On another note, I own a Diablo and a Murcielago and I like My Diablo more than the Murcielago. By the same token, vehicles that are already out of production have a much better chance of appreciating in value.

As far as another reference to 6 cylinders, the Dino is a 6 cylinder, yet brings in more money than 308s, 328s, and TRs.

Again it is all about what a market will bring.

In 1989 a Japanese gentleman paid 14 Million for a 250 GTO, only to sell it 5 years later for 3 Million. These vehicle are now bringing value in the 9 million range.

23. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Vahe,

I was doing a little bit of research on the car and found that there were 12 made in 1993 and what seems to be 5 built (or at least brought to the US) in 1994. Is that correct? Any other production years for the S model?

Do you happen to know of any good sites that document the lineage of this model?