CS Recall No 2 Steering | FerrariChat

CS Recall No 2 Steering

Discussion in '360/430' started by thomas_b, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Make : FERRARI Model : 360 CHALLENGE STRADALE Year : 2004
    Build Dates : -
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V294000
    Date Owner's Notified: Date Received by ODI: 20040625 Date Added to Databse: 20040624
    Manufacturer's Involved: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA INC
    Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA INC
    Manufacturer Campaign Number: 41
    Component: STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 487
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, AN OIL LEAK IN THE HYDRAULIC STEERING DELIVERY PIPE FROM THE PUMP TO THE STEERING RACK MAY OCCUR WHICH COULD LEAD TO A GRADUAL REDUCTION OF THE ASSISTED STEERING FUNCTION.
    Consequence:
    SUCH CIRCUMSTANCES COULD LEAD TO LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE STEERING DELIVERY HOSES FROM THE PUMP TO THE STEERING RACK. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JULY 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FERRARI ON 201-816-2651.
    Report Initiator: MFR Vehicles Report
    Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    thats an interesting one.

Every challenge car I've seen gets a leak at a restrictor in the line which is near the alternator against the rh fuel tank.....

I wonder if this is the same problem.

The restrictor is just a steel tube that's crimped into the line. The crimpings get weak and they leak.

3. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    What is also interesting is it effects 487 units, which is more than I thought were coming to the US? I heard 250 out of a total 700-900 were coming to the US which is close to 25% which is the total % that comes to the US. Does that mean there are going to be 1800-2000 Stradale's worldwide?

4. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It sounds closer to the current number manufactured worldwide - could this be why the number stated is the potential number of cars affected?

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    sorry I should have looked closer - the recall is valid for 2004 CS and 2003 Modena/Spider - http://www.recall-warnings.com/auto-category-V.FERRARI.html

so I assume this is the count for all versions

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    I did get the recall letter today in the mail for my CS – “defect involves a slight oil leak in the hydraulic steering delivery pipe from the pump to the steering rack”

Affected vehicles:
    Starting: VIN: ZEFYT53A830130383 & Vehicle Assembly No. 48057
    Ending: VIN: ZEFYT53A930133549 & Vehicle Assembly No. 50593

Takes 3.5 hours for coupe and 5.1 hours for Spyders :-(