Radar detector fitting | FerrariChat

Radar detector fitting

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Matthewh, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matthewh

Matthewh Rookie

Feb 26, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Matthew Hampson
    Hi All,

At last my new 360 Spider is in the country, and if the international banking system and the PDI align themselves over the next couple of days I will pick it up on Wednesday afternoon (pictures to post on delivery).

Have any of you guys had a radar detector fitted to a 360 spider? I would like to get a Snopper S6R and am interested in peoples experience of professional fitting. What is the best place for the GPS antenna? and how can the power cable be wired in neatly.

The goal is to have no cables showing, what is the best position for the headunit?

Thanks

2. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I have a NERO S4 portable GPS snooper that I can move between cars, sits on the dash and can be either wired to the cig lighter or hardwired with nothing showing. Hook it up once a week to the S4 site for upgrades and job done! Since I got three points from a hidden camera I swear by this thing, saved me lots so far and being portable means I can go abroad without worrying about local boys in blue taking offence (or even the car!) Good luck with the new car, sounds great!

3. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    If you are looking for a really neat system you should also look at the Origin B2 which not only looks good, and is easy to install it also works very well and the head unit can be very quickly removed

4. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Before fiting professionally it is worth remembering that the Gendarmes on the other side of the channel are not amused by these devices.

If you conceal the equipment under dashboards, etc. just remember that under French law they have the right to strip your car to find the device.

2 penny worth.

5. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Anmd if they find it not only do they fine you but they use 'za 'eel or run over it with 'za caar to make sure you can't use it!

This is a good reason to look at units like the Origin - not that I actrually have one or have any affiliation. Best advice (JK are you listening) is to stick to the speed limit :)

6. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The prospect of Henri the Gendarme ripping one's Ferrari apart to remove a plumbed-in radar detector does not bear thinking about!

Also, unless your French is very good, I'd not fancy trying to explain to Henri that the unit on the dash is in fact merely a GPS device containing positions of accident blackspots rather than a radar detector, which also rules out Road Angels etc.

I'd recommend a device which can be placed on the dash and easily removed, with a power lead neatly plumbed in.

7. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Also, if you forget to remove it (as I have done) stop off at the Eurotunnel sweet shop. They sell metal tins of Quality Street which, once the chocolates have been donated to the cashier, are just the right size for storing such a device.

We checked it by placing a mobile inside and it could not be reached. We then set off and saw several Gendarmes - not one turned the blue lights on which seemed to imply it works.

8. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    No disrespect to any of you GB boys, ( as three of my fellow workers come from over the pond, ) but you should just stick to your roots. I am pro-England all the way, especially in football ( soccer here ) as your Premier league can make our MLS look like a bunch of disorganized 8 year olds. You have all the goods, technology, history when it comes to cars and some national pride... racing's home is England according to F1, Williams, Lotus, McLaren, Bernie.

If some Frenchie tries to take your car apart, like I said go back to your roots. Have M install the missiles and machine guns after he puts in the radar detector. Teach those war dodgers a lesson. Us Yanks will cheer you on all the way.

RocketBoy

PS: Technology here in the states is making most detectors and even jammers obsolete.

9. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sadly, I don't think M would stoop to installing machine guns in anything less than an Aston, old boy... (apart from a brief and inexplicable foray into BMWs)

Robert.

10. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff

Way to go!