348 stereo advice | FerrariChat

348 stereo advice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by nickster, Jul 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    Have a 1993 tb - looking for stereo / speaker set up suggestions.It has a newish 4x50w alpine head unit - no speakers in the doors or anything,just the standard ones hidden in the dash.Sounds like 2,could be more,however it is that came out the factory.So 11 year old speaker technology.

I'm no expert - but it sounds terrible.

Am off on a hoon through Germany,Switzerland,Austria,Italy and wont be enjoying it as much if I've got nothing to listen to.

Seen Chaa's set up,very impressed but I wont be going that far.

Is there any speakers that will make this thing sound better.Dont want to put in amps etc,just make the existing unit sound better.

I dont mind getting a new head unit too,but dont want to if it will all still sound crap unless I get amps/subs/tweeters/wot not.

cheers fellas

2. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    I'll be lurking on this thread - my 328 needs speakers too. MARK

3. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had some MB Quart speakers fitted to a BMW a while back, they were good. Fitted to Porsches I believe...

For what it's worth, my 355 has upgraded speakers (dunno what sort, fitted by a previous owner and cost quite a lot) and the stereo still sounds rubbish, and the head unit is a high-end Alpine job.

I suspect Chaa's set up is the only way to go if you want proper sound- the fact is a Ferrari with it's engine and road noise is just not a very good environment for nice audio...

4. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    When I put my foot down, I have to turn up the radio in order to hear it, but then I can't hear the engine so I have to floor it even more in order to hear the engine. But then I can't hear the radio...etc

The issue is self propagating, eventually I'm doing 183mph, with the radio on full blast and distorting terribly. This seems to happen a lot. Is there a solution to this problem?

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Robertb dude, i have learned from my mistake LOL!, i will not be offering any advice on iCE instalments or even pics of anykind. As they say each to there own, shame realy becourse i am currently in the middle of fitting it to my other italian baby, but that will be for my eyes and ears only. But there has been a flip side to my attacked thread, i said that there was 9 pms and emails asking about the ice system fitted,there are now 11, hey go figure any way no more dude. My advice is stay with original sized speakers and just live with out base. Hey dudes dont attack me on my opinion i have had enugh already.

6. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    Whereabouts you off to Nick and when? There's about 18 or 20 of us doing a Hoon around those same places covering a fair few of the big Alpine passes.

We could do with a Ferrari to balance things up against the TVRs, Porshes and Astons :D

7. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    Yep,shame about that,its was mentioned the other week on the Essex Hoon.I think its end of September and I'm flat under it at work then.

Used to go boarding alot in Austria on weekends when I lived in Frankfurt.Always fancied driving the roads and seeing the mountains in summer.

And smashing those german autobahns in the pantees,obviously.

If things pan out differently I'd love to go though.

8. nickster

nickster Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    The moon
    Full Name:
    nickster
    sorry,August the 9th is when I'm off.