Any 288 GTOs in CANADA? | FerrariChat

Any 288 GTOs in CANADA?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ferrarilover76, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarilover76

Jul 7, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anybody know if there are any 288 Gto's in Canada and who owns them if any, where they are?

2. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    I remember hearing about 2 or 3 288 GTO's in Canada, but I'm not sure where they are. Very rare car!

3. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    They are the rarest of the "super Ferraris"!

4. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    272 made ...yes they're rare.

Now I think there's only 1 in Quebec own by Lawrence Stroll and I'm sure there's another one in Ontario. (I remember seing a picture of a 288 on a Ontario highway)

5. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    You're soooooooooooooooo right. There was even a picture in Luigi's shop when he (Luigi) took delivery of the car.

6. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Bernie,
    Tell me you have that picture. :)

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    One 288 GTO (red with a black leather interior) was sold into Toronto direct from Italy. Another 288 GTO (red with a red CLOTH interior) was brought in by Gentry Lane Ferrari new and kept at the dealer for several years. This car ran on the Italian export plate 'EE 160 AK' at the time. It did see some track work at Mosport. Both quietly still in the Toronto area. There was a third GTO in the Toronto area but have not heard about it for some time. The owner also had a 308 which proved useful...
    ch

8. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I got lotsa pictures LOL!!!!! but I don't have that one. However, if I recall, the photo in Luigi's shop is either framed or laminated. I haven't been by his shop since February, and I know he's going to drill me when I'll go see him in a couple of weeks.

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ

lol, yep........that's right........sleeepin'.........somewhere ;-)

Oh and isnt there a Ghost of the 288-Past haunting a section of the 407. Muahhahaha

Vasco.R

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Ghost? more like the Phoenix rising...
    ch

11. jack1999

jack1999 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    toronto
    there is actually a 288gto in toronto

12. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    Don't just tell us something like that without explaining it!! Give us details man! Ie. Location, owner, how often it gets driven, etc..... if you know any of this that is.

13. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Jack, was that a question? Or are you telling us there is a 288 in Toronto. :)

14. djcavalino

djcavalino Karting

Mar 9, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I want a 288 GTO :D and gladdly looking to buy one.... :D there are so many for sale in europe and USA but u dont know the condition they are in....

One day... she will come ;)

15. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe

Are you in the market for a 288GTO? I think Michael Sheehan may be a great source. He just sold a beautiful example a few weeks ago and he can certainly be trusted for condition of the car.

Then again, if you were about to spend approx. $315K (USD) on a car, you'd probably get on a plane and go and see it for yourself.

16. jack1999

jack1999 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2003
    toronto
    yes there is a actually 288 gto in TORONTO
    i do not know the owner of the car

but my friend knows him.. and he droved his car before
    and i am not sure how often it gets driven

17. Charlesgt2

Charlesgt2 Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    There are or were a few GTO's in Toronto.

One of them burned to a crisp on the 407 a few years ago though.

18. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The 288 GTO was never street legal in Canada. Now due to the 15 year rule it is possible to plate the car however I cannot confirm if anyone has done so. The 288 that burned to the ground on the 407 is actually in the very late stages of restoration. The story as I heard it was that 2 of the mechanics at Ferrari of Ontario decided to take the GTO for a spin and threw a dealers plate on it. Either a fuel or oil (not sure) line was left loose and this caused the car to catch fire and burn totally to the ground. From my understanding, insurance did not cover the repair so it was Ferrari of Ontario that foot the bill. The owner of the car (a private individual) was understandably not at all pleased and insisted that ALL parts be replaced for new as the car had no mileage on it. Apparantly the complete wiring harness took over 2 years for Ferrari to make them one. This of course is what I 'heard' but rest assured that it is from a very good source.

19. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Yes, we know. Read below. We have mentionned that before. It's a shame the car went like that.

Welcome to this chat by the way.

Vasco.R

20. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    oh man, what a shame to have a mechanical masterpiece meet the junkyard especially here on toronto highway's because of idiotic mechanics... oh well, i wish i was there to salute it going down... lol

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    there is another...(Say like Yoda)

22. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I've heard of one in Vancouver at one point; alas, no more details. Supposedly an amazing street car.

23. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I was, it was when the 407 first opened up, thought it was a 3x8 in flames, cried all the way home when I saw it. Then heard on the news about it and that because the car was so expensive and rare that they would rebuild it again. I knew then it had to be the 288. Crying shame, heard it went back to italy to restored, hope its going well and back on the street someday driving around.

24. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #24 F1racer, Aug 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Doesn't seem the smartest way to open the rear and access the engine quick smart for what was a Gruppe B competition car. Or does the whole engine cover lift off?