Least You Have Paid For a Car & Drove? Still run? | FerrariChat

Least You Have Paid For a Car & Drove? Still run?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by venusone, Jul 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    That would be an 81 Mazda RX7 I paid $800.00 for. Still have it w/ 200k+ mi on the original engine that runs smooth as glass. Best low budget purchase you ever made?

2. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I bought a Saab (95?) two stroke station wagon with freewheeling in 1978 for $75 and it ran pretty well. Fun car.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I paid $100 for a Fiat X1/9 back in the late 80s. It ran for a year or so. That was my college era, I typically just bought another $100-$200 car every 9 months instead of trying to get them past inspection :)

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great question. Frankly I don't remember what much I paid for that Dodge Dart. You know, the fancy one with the push button shifter. Damn! I just realized that this car was the first F1. Holy Guacamole! I used to buy oil is a huge container that I kept in trunk. Whenever I put car in, I'd make sure to pour in a bunch of oil. Man a quart a day kept the bugs away!

Dr "Man, was that a blast from the past" Tax

5. yasir

yasir Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Bought an '87 Mazda 323 back in 1994 with 45,000 orginal miles for $650.The only thing wrong with that car was the weak a/c but unfortunately 6 months later had to sell it and sold it for $900.The car was perfect 7/10.I still miss that car though.
    Yasir

6. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Too easy

1991 Geo Prism. $135.00. Drive it every day. It is a POS.

People ask me why I drive such a crappy car.

Simple....1. $30.00 a month for gasoline
    2. Less than $200.00 a year for insurance
    3. I have absolutely no fear parking anywhere.
    4. Parts are completely free. (advantage of working for Toyota)
    5. Don't waste money on car wash materials
    6. Driving this POS has allowed me to save and invest enough money over the last 4 years, that I can afford to buy a Ferrari.

Like I said.....simple

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oh ya the Doge Dart. I bought mine at a garage sale for 150 bucks. Drove it for at least three years. Total cost of maintinence about 0.
    I never changed the oil and I don't remember ever checking it.

8. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bought a Ford something or other for $50. It didn’t have any windows except for the front one. One day the driver’s side door fell off. Put it back on with big hinges on the top so it opened like a gull wing. Used it for about six or eight months.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I bought a basket full of 1967 Furdmobile parts. Stuff like pieces of the frame and a few suspension parts. I paid $8.46 cents for the pile of parts. I built a car out of those parts and added the rest of the frame, body, engine, transmission, wheels, suspension uprights, and other parts from assorted stuff that were manufactured after 1967 or reproduced altogether. When I went down to the DMV, they said that my car wasn't really a 1967 Furdmobile because 90 percent of the car wasn't even around in 1967. So they called it a reproduction and licensed it anyway. Everybody loves it.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You win.

11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought a '79 (or was it '78??) Dodge Magnum from a guy my Dad knew. It only had something like 36K original miles and he sold it to me for $300. I drove it for about a year and then loaned it to some freinds. They called me one day about a year after that and said it had quit running. I didn't have time to mess with it. I was talking to a guy at work and he asked how much I wanted for it and I told him..yep you guessed it $300. He took it home, replaced the fusible links that someone had burned up, drove it for a while and sold it! Best buy I ever made.

Best deal I ever made was a few years ago I bought a 95 Olds Auroura for $5K. Drove it for about three months and sold it for $6,500. Wish I could do that on a regular basis!

12. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #12 LAfun2, Jul 20, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    **this should be in the cars/motorcycle section**

Worked 1 week for an elderly lady, did her whole lawn, and her backyard. I asked for $450 bucks. She couldn't afford it at the time, thus gave me the keys to her car.

1991 Honda Civic Wagon. Received with 190K miles. Everything original. One owner, full dealer maintained car.

Had it for a while. Car passes stringent CA smog every year. Drove it from Los Angeles to Seattle pretty much every other weekend. Car currently has 251K. Absolutely trouble free miles. Runs like new. Stock motor/stock tranny, stock everything.

Only time ever got pulled over in my years of driving, in this station wagon, going 92mph near SouthCenter, where the 405/5 intersect. I was going from Federal way to Everett, in WA. Yes the car does 90-100 mph all day, and doesn't complain and gets 41 miles to the gallon, and works as a truck for my home depot trips.

Though I was living in WA at the time, told the highway patrol that pulled me over, that I drove all night (CA plates), and was going for an interview to Univ of WA! He believed me, and let me go with a warning. :)

Still have the car. Put it up for sale two weeks ago for 1800$. Got a bunch of calls, and people coming to look at it, then backed off. Want to keep the car, it keeps me humble.

175/70/13 inch tires :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. F40Lover

F40Lover Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    My $200 Lada (Fiat). Bought it simply to drive to my brother's wedding. Drove it from Seattle to Dallas at an average speed of 75MPH and 1 mile from his house it quit, I replaced the fuse and drove to the wedding. Everyone thought I was crazy. Right in redneck country I am driving a Russian Made Lada. I drove this car back home to Seattle and for another year it served me well. One day the input shaft broke and left me stranded. I called a wrecker and told him to take it back to my house, he asked me what was srong with it, I told him and he said "Take $200 for it?" SOLD. Took that money and bought a 1966 Plymouth VIP Furry with 65,000 miles on it from the orginal owner for $600. Drove that car for 3 years, put 300,000 miles on it, only cost $750 for a rebuilt motor and trans after 200,000. Resold the car for $700.

14. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    WOW! you can get cars for that cheap, i really need one right now. MMMMMMMMMMM i think ill do a little research.

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Look for auctions. There's one company out here who takes all the cars the dealers wholesale and cars that people donate to charities and auctions them off. Towing companies also auction off abandonned cars but you have to be real careful with them, some real junk out there, but also some great deals.
    Have fun with it and if you only spend a couple hundred who cares how long it lasts!!

16. dmeyer

dmeyer Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David Meyer
    Seriously...i need a car i can drive everyday and not sink a ton of money into fixing

17. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    #17 F1Ace, Jul 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1970 Datsun 510. Bought it in about 1979 for around $1200. Put money into it for sure.....that's how it ended up looking like this...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Bought a 196? VW Bug for $47.00. The headlight switch was broken, so I direct wired the headlights to the battery, which was in the back seat. The car ran great, but the gas heater did catch on fire a couple of times.

Sold it for 80.00. That's why I'm the rich man I am today LOL

19. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Actually didn't the Corvair have it before the Dart? And I beleive there was a 40's or 50's Chrysler with a push button tranny also.

My car was a 72 Challenger that I bought from a friend of the family for 250 bucks. He had just gotten it back from Macco so it looked great for about a month or so. Drove (beat) that car trouble free for 2 years until the drivers side rear wheel and axel came off going down the freeway. Amazing the looks you get when your rear wheel with axel still attached comes out and passes you. Sold the car to a junkyard for 75 bucks and I found out later that week they had sold the hood for 500 bucks and the drivers side window for about 300. I should have been the one to part that car out.

20. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    This only counts if you actually BUY a Ferrari! :D

21. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    Paid $100 for a `64 Pontiac LeMans 2 door post car that was all original back in 1992 and drove it until 1999 every now and then. Still have the car to this day and started it last month......

The guy I bought the car from said it wouldn't run...New battery and a carb cleaning and it fired right up. Haven't done a thing to it since except tune up stuff.

22. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I bought a very early Ford, I think it was a 41 sedan, for $15. Drove is around and around in the field next to our house until I had an early version of a dirt track. Each time I drove it I had to put water in the radiator. Would drive it until it overheated and shut it off at that spot on my track. Kept it about a year and sold it for $15. Total cost of maintenance: nothing.

My 1954 Austin Healey was $800. It was a daily driver for me in those days until I totalled it (had Michelin steel belted radials on the front and bias tires on the back). This was in 1961 before most people knew that you couldn't mix radials and bias safetly. Oh well. The insurance company paid me $850 for it. Which I still had it. Would probably be worth a lot of money now since they imported very few 1954's.

23. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had a Ford Cortina that I paid $200 for and drove it for a year and a half until it died. Did it again witha Renault 10.

The best buy was an F40 for $200K....drove it everywhere...work, trips, track, hillclimbs for 4 years and sold it for $275K

Ciao

Dino

24. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    They did this sort of thing on Top Gear here in the Uk about 6 weeks or so ago. The car had to be road legal, taxed for theroad, etc. etc. All three presenters were given £100 ($175 ish) and the carswere then driven, not just on a track but I think from London to Manchester and back (about 500 miles) and then crashed into concrete at 30mph to check the car was structurally sound

The cheapest car they bought was £1 (about $1.75)!!!!

25. enecks

enecks Karting

May 28, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Justin

Did Jeremy win?

/don't get the BBC over here...