348 for 45k- what should I worry about? | FerrariChat

348 for 45k- what should I worry about?

Discussion in '348/355' started by venusone, Jul 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I've talked to the seller & he says it is good to go. Tell me more...

2. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    How many miles? what year? color? Does it have all the wheels on it?

3. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Please for the love of Enzo get a professional inspection from someone knowledgeable in this particular model BEFORE you agree to anything...and keep talking to the people here who can help you.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Personally, I think that anyone, who buys any model of Ferrari, in any condition, without the ability to do at least SOME of the work on it themselves, is TOTALLY nuts in the head, unless they have an unlimited budget or a qualified mechanic in whom they have 100% trust.

That being said, here are few potential trouble areas that you should watch for on a 348.

1) Make absolutely sure that you are comfortable with the amount of physical effort it requires to operate the car. The clutch is stiff, the shift linkage is stiff, the steering isn't exactly light, even the door handles require some strength. There is no point in going any further if you are not at ease in the car. Does it fit you? Can you see out of it?

2) Make absolutely sure that the climate control system is 100% functional, and blows cold air on demand.

3) Make sure that ALL electrical components are working. Check function of the horn, power locks, power mirrors, seat belts, etc. Raise the headlights and make 1000% sure that they do not have broken lenses.

4) Check for oil leaks. Remember, a leaking cam seal is an "engine out" job.

5) Make sure the clutch feels strong, no slip.

6) Try a hot restart, listen for rattling from the flywheel that will indicate the need for a flywheel rebuild.

7) On your test drive, watch for "slow down" and "check engine" warning lights that may give an indication of problems with the engine management system.

8) Check the rear window for possible delamination.

9) Make sure that the tool kit (including spare tire inflation bottle) is present. Manuals and service records should also be provided.

10) If the car is a "ts", make sure the top is in good shape and the storage boot is provided. On a Spider, check raising and lowering operation.

This will give you a few pointers. By all means, have an expert check it out for you. And if you have any questions, there are plenty of experienced 348 owners here who can help.

5. ENZOFORZA

ENZOFORZA Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    DUXBURY, MA
    Full Name:
    JAKE
    make sure it has been serviced properly. Have a thorough PPI done. if it checks out, buy it and drive it like you stole it ( after a proper warm up!).

6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Hey, if a guy says the car is "good to go", then it's good to go!!!