348 lovers out there? | FerrariChat

348 lovers out there?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Timothy, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timothy

Timothy Rookie

Jul 15, 2004
    St. Charles, IL
    Full Name:
    Timothy C. Smith
    Hi,

I'm new to this chat, and am having a great time getting educated. Would like some feedback from you. I'm searching for my first Ferrari. Want a good cruiser that will also be fun for occasional track use, and I'm considering a 348 or 355. Drove a really nice 348 recently--one owner, all records, beautiful condition, 17,000 miles, 30k service done mid 2001, asking high $50's. Trying to decide between that and spending another $20-25k for a 355. Spooked a little with some of the bads raps I've heard about the 348--less reliable, tougher resale market, etc., etc. Would like to hear stories, good and bad, from 348 owners. Appreciate it.

Timothy

2. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Well this topic has been around the block a few times. But I'll start it off again. I have a 348 and have driven a 355. As far as I'm concernd there's very little justification for the extra 25K. The 80 extra horespower is ALL. I guarantee 355's have there problems too and you'll need to get a late 90's model to get one with all the bugs ironed out. A 92 or newer 348 is plently reliable, All the RAW sensations are there, unlike the 355 with that terrible power steering.

NEXT.......

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Everybody here knows where I stand... and they're well aware of my total (and clinical) adoration of the 348.

I love mine. It's a July 1990 build 348ts. 2.7 motronic. Runs like a raped ape. So far, no electrical gremlins that I can't diagnose; nothing mechanical to speak of. Will something eventually break? Yeah, but so did my supposedly bullet-proof Mercedes!

Sure, the 355 is nice... but don't forget about that bubbled center console issue!! :)

The market hates the 348 but the owners seem to love 'em. Go figure. Pay low-50's, and you'll be livin' la vida loca.

-Daniel

Samir Goncalves likes this.
  4. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I love my 348. Haven't had any major problems to date. it is a Mar 91 build date. The one you are looking at is due for a major service use that to negotiate the price lower.

5. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #5 Kevallino, Jul 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I had about $3K worth of sorting to do on my 1990 TS 2.7 back in the spring. Since then, it's been as reliable as anything else I've owned. If you buy a 348, though, make sure you get a couple of bandaids to stick over each of your "Check Engine" lights. They come on and go off all of the time.

7. amorepresto

amorepresto Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tim,
    You didn’t say what year 348 you were looking at.
    The early 348 have had a bad reputation, but in most cases the problems have been long worked out. I truly believe the early 348’s with the correct service records and necessary upgrades are outstanding bargains. My 91 348 has had all major problem areas up-graded before I bought it. The only problem I can tell with the 348 your looking at was the date of the last major service. For a price in the upper 50’s I would of liked to have seen it done within the last 12 months. Dave

8. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I love my 348 too. The car looks super sexy and "goes like stink". If I had to do it all again, I'd buy the same car over. Sometimes in the morning, I sit out in my garage, (fully finished and heated in the winter), and enjoy my coffee in it's presence. Here are a few shots:

Brocco likes this.
  9. amorepresto

amorepresto Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    NE Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tim,
    You didn’t say what year 348 you were looking at.
    The early 348 have had a bad reputation, but in most cases the problems have been long worked out. I truly believe the early 348’s with the correct service records and necessary upgrades are outstanding bargains. My 91 348 has had all major problem areas up-graded before I bought it. The only problem I can tell with the 348 your looking at was the date of the last major service. For a price in the upper 50’s I would of liked to have seen it done within the last 12 months. Dave

10. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I have a 1991 348ts, have had all major upgrades and have no probelms what so ever. I like the way it drives better then several 355's I test drove when shopping for a replacement for my 328. The 328 have a more solid feeling the several 355's I drove, the steering is more precise and has much better feel then a 355. I have a 1987 328gts and that was in the shop more then the 348, so the bad wrap the 348's get is really a bunch of bull IMO. Go for the 348, save the extra 25 grand and have some fun.

11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    i had a 92 348ts. I loved that car. Sold it for a 355 and guess what I love this car too. the only thing I miss on the 348 is the unassissted steering. Everything else on the 355 is better IMO. The 348 was my first Ferrari and it has a very special place for me. They are, when maintained, bulletproof. Sold mine with 86k on the clock and it was running great. I don't understand why these cars get a bad rap. The press really didn't like it when it came out as well as the sportscar market just wsn't that hot at the time. I think this contributed to this lasting sentiment on the 348's.

If you get one just make sure you have all of the records and an inspection. The 30 k was done 3 years ago so you'll need one again pretty soon. You should factor that in. If you buy it right you should have no resale problems.

Here is my favorite pic.

12. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Since i've not driven nor owned a 355, I can only comment on the 348. Mine has had no problems since purchased. As with anything, its buyer beware. I'd recommend a PPI by qualified Ferrari tech on whatever you choose.

Regards,
    Rob.

13. Guillermo

Guillermo Rookie

Aug 23, 2003
    Palos Verdes, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I am one of those guys who purchased a 1989 348TB which should have had all those problems that the 348's are said to have, and especially the first year that that model appeared! Well, it's over 15 years old now and I have not had any problems, which I can't say for my wife's Mercedes 300E. Only my 1969 Mustang has been more dependable with over 300,000 miles, and the inside of the engine has never seen the light of day (except when I change spark plugs.) Of course I know that the 348TB is going to have a major problem someday soon, but It's a 15 year old vehicle!

Bill

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Bill, are you suggesting the Mustang's engine has never seen the light of day, or the Ferrari's?

-Daniel

15. Jim Riggs

Jim Riggs Karting

Jan 25, 2004
    #15 Jim Riggs, Jul 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought my first F-car last Feb: a 348 Series Speciale (#90/100). I spent a lot of time evaluating 308's, 328's, and 348's. I like the 328 but the 348 has more horsepower, better fuel injection, and more modern suspension design. I did consider an '89 328 because they have the upgraded fuel injection system, but they cost as much as a 348. The only thing that I dislike about the 348 is the stock wheels so I went with 355 Challenge wheels. Here's a pic of my 348SS with the 355C wheels. Good luck. Jim

PS Notice that all the 348 pics so far do not have stock wheels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    I've chipped in on this subject before, but here goes...

I have a '94 348 Spider and it is, as someone else said, bulletproof. It's a great car without any problems. Now, being a Ferrari, you'll spend some money on it from time to time, but nothing major.

The 355 is a more capable car, but I love my 348 styling and feel (the steering is awesome). I don't believe that a 355 offers any more in terms of reliability over a 348. All in all, I think if you get a late model 348 (being careful as you should with any f-car purchase), you can't go wrong and you'll have the perfect first Ferrari.

Good luck!

17. Guillermo

Guillermo Rookie

Aug 23, 2003
    Palos Verdes, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Daniel,
    Sorry that I have not replyed to your comment until now but I have been away and just now saw your posted question.
    Neither the 348TB nor my 69 Mustang has had the inside of the engine "see the light of day," that is neither has had any major (expensive) repairs.
    Both have been extremely dependable, but I commented that I considered my Mustang relatively more dependable only because of its 35 years of age and over 300,000 miles on the odometer.
    Bottom line is that the 348 has been very dependable inspite of the undeserved poor reputation that it receives in the press, and the other posters here appear to agree with their own experiences.

Best regards,
    Bill

18. JK348ts

JK348ts Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Tim,

I just sent you a message, we are thinking of selling a 348ts. Located in the Chicago area.

John

19. evansp60

evansp60 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ont. CANADA
    I'm starting a 2200 mile drive from Salt Lake City, UT to Ottawa, On Canada this Saturday in an '89 348.
    I'll let you know how it goes!

Brocco likes this.
  20. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    1990 348ts owner since 1999.Had all upgrades done;Thermo couples;ECU2.7;added Tubi and K&N air filter element.Full 30k service and oil galley updates.Excellent running car(24,000 mi).All service and upgrades done for 8000.00.Very reasonable for amount of work done.Recently sold it to purchase F355 Spider,not because the 348ts was not desirable,but a great offer was made for the 348ts and I wanted a spider.
    GOOD LUCK!

21. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    FChat member Spider348 here in MA let me drive his 348 tonight for about 40 minutes. Compared to my 308, there is no comparison. The car is amazing. The steering, the transmission, the power, the sound, incredible. I loved it. I have never driven a 355. Another friend has promised to let me drive his and I can hardly wait to compare. The only thing I don't like about the 348 is the tail light treatment. It's like the GT4 in that it looks much better in person than in pictures. But man, it is SO friggin fun to drive. WOW!

I still love my beautiful classic GTB, but that 348 drive made a believer out of me. I would buy one in a second.

Birdman

22. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have a 1995 348 Spider and LOVE it. Before I bought, I rented both the 348 and 355 Spiders in Las Vegas. Although the 355 has a more modern look and has more horsepower, I am happy with the 348 and perferred it for a few reasons:

1) Less $$, but not too much less performance for the price difference IMO.
    2) Less high-tech stuff to break - no adjustable suspension, no airbags to replace (the 355's are getting older), etc...
    3) It seems the 355's were originally preferred because they were a 'more reliable car' than the 348. I think that's because they were new. Now that the 355's are getting older, they seem to have their fair share of issues, which are sometimes major - valve guides, exhaust headers, automatic top/seats, etc... The 348's have less expensive issues - seat belts, ECU's, etc...
    4) I didn't like the power steering on the 355.
    5) IMO, the 348 is the last low-tech, but modern styled F-car.

23. vinnycar

vinnycar Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    New Canaan, CT
    Full Name:
    Vincent Cardone
    Was looking for a truer sports car experience and more involvment and feel iI have found it in spades. Believe 348 and 355 are much the same car except the manual steering and the manual top ( a little gem of engineering compared to the Rube Goldberg system in the 355) add a dimension of character. Find a 94 or 95 at a dealer and it can still qualify for the factory Powertrain Plus warranty. Prices seem to be firming on 348s and almost certainly depreciation over the next few years for a nice 348 will be no faster than for 355s so you can trade up in a few years if wanted at no cost penalty

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I heard that the 348's "rear end" (for lack of a better word...the area above the bumper that holds the tail lights) can be swapped with a 355 to get the 355/308/328-style classic "dual round" taillights. Anyone know if there is any truth to this? In my opinion the Pontiac-looking tail lights are the only thing detracting from the 348. (My apologies if I have offended any 348 owners). I know it is considered heresy in Ferarri circles to modify one of Enzo's creations in such a way, but it would make the 348 really awesome looking from the back.

Birdman

25. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    There are quite a few posts/pictures if you search this site. Although I agree that the rear is the least attractive angle (although still nice), IMO, turning a 348 into a 355 wannabe isn't cool.