beating photo-radar | FerrariChat

beating photo-radar

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bryanp, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    what is it about? That site makes you register

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Can't view it if you're not registered.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    oh christ - love the Post - I'll cut and paste in a bit. Basically, there is a clear-coat type spray that you can spray on your license plates that completely foils the cameras ability to shoot your plate once either the radar or the red-light-running trigger has been pulled.

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    this is about a third of the article - the relevant part. I spared you the paragraphs wasted on the "ethical dilemma" one might face in using this product . . . .

Cheaper than radar detectors (which are illegal in the District and Virginia), sprays such as PhotoBlocker, Photo Fog ($24) and PhotoStopper ($19.99) are advertised as reflecting the flash back at automated cameras to overexpose the license plate. The photo is said to look like a picture taken with a flash in front of a mirror -- glared.

Other products cover license plates with plastic shields. The Reflector ($19.95) uses reflective sparkles embedded in clear plastic. The PhotoShield ($25) uses a thin prismlike lens. The License Plate Loover ($8.95) blocks the camera's view with an angled louver effect.

These products sell mostly online, although some have found their way to auto parts stores. PhotoBlocker, for instance, is sold online at PhantomPlate.com and at 10 independent auto supply dealers between Baltimore and Centreville -- and at one car wash.

"It sells okay. If I could sell it for $5, I could sell a whole lot more," says Harold Berger, owner of Kenilworth Car Wash in Hyattsville. "The people who usually buy it have gotten tickets. People don't want to spend $30 unless they got burned. It's like paying for a ticket upfront, only less."

Joe Scott, marketing director for PhantomPlate, the Alexandria firm that makes PhotoBlocker, says about 100,000 cans have sold in four years. And with traffic camera programs multiplying faster abroad than in the United States, his product is now sold on six continents. "Sales have been phenomenal," he says.

The big questions are: Do these products work, and are they legal?

Former Baltimore police officer Bob Kleebauer conducted his own road test. Late one night in March, he drove to the intersection where his wife got a photo-radar ticket. His license plate coated with PhotoBlocker, he waited until no cars were coming, then ran the light.

He took that "$75 chance" because he believes red-light cameras are revenue traps targeting decent people, says Kleebauer, now a telecom salesman. "Ninety-nine percent of the drivers who get caught are law-abiding citizens who do it accidentally. You are approaching a yellow light and you have a tenth of a second to brake or go. Make the wrong decision and they got you."

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Ohh. I heard about that on tv a few months ago. They said that it really does work in California or Arizona (they use different types of cameras) but that it doesn't really trick the cameras in New York. Something about different cameras. You can also buy plastic covers for your plate that work the same way as the spray.

7. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    $75 for a running a stop light ticket? I wanna live where you do!
    I'm pretty sure that ticket is $350 here, just north of Los Angeles.
    If I'm wrong about the exact price, I'm not off by mre than $50 or so.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Speaking as somebody who has been involved in a fairly serious accident because of running a red light, I think these products are obscene.

Yes, the traffic cameras stink. Yes, they unfortunately encourage people to slam on the brakes to avoid a ticket. Yes, the camera/light timing is probably adjusted to generate revenue, etc. etc.

Get t-boned at 40 miles an hour, and you'll think differently about going through a red light. Trust me.

-Daniel

9. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    I just use the 007 rotating license plate to avoid the photo-cop.

PD

10. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    If you don't want to register for a website, use this tool...
    http://www.bugmenot.com

Enter the URL and get a username and password that is shared. For the Washington Post, you can use
    [email protected]
    cyberpunk

- JMG

11. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I'm not an advocate for running red lights, but I am surely no an advocate for money making red light cameras that are just ever so slightly tweaked to cash in on a 1 second yellow light or some other trick. I don't know what it is, but elected officials love money and they don't care how they get it.

The sprays work as long as there is a red light camera with a flash. The key is to make the plate as gossy as possible.
    (It's texture resembles a super super hold hair spray, even dries like hairspray)

Does anyone know about the next generation of red light cams?

The don't need a flash, and they get a picture of you in front and in back. The new digital cameras are making headway in a very big way. They are mounted on high on top of the traffic signal posts and are usually white cylinder looking cams that are zoom capable with rotatable mounts. Anyone seen these yet? Metal detectors placed in the asphault before the limit line are designed to take a snapshot of a car moving foreward when the light is red. There is no film to take out of the box, so the ticket is printed at a remote location within hours.

It's slightly off topic, but mounted on overpasses and slightly hidden, these same cams in the white cylinder cases are also enclosed with Lidar. You heard me right, Lidar, as in how fast were you driving. A remote operator can zap cars from his console and read the plates via zoom. Currently operational in Canada, I hope it does not make its way into the USA.

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    We have that in Canada? Ok, I'm nervous now.

The only thing you can do is fight every ticket, maximize the cost of prosecution such that it exceeds the revenue gained. Think of it as entertainment. If they want your $100, make them entertain you in court all day for it.

If all tickets were contested, with adjournments, motions, etc., the system might not grind to a halt (it might), but it will make the enforcement of an unpopular law a less attractive option for local goverment who must cover the cost of the police, the expensive enforment equipment, the courts, etc. When an 8 hour day of the court only manages one conviction per hour, the system will run at an unacceptable loss.

Ahhh... Now I feel better.

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I've only been 'foiled' by the speed cameras twice. Both times I was definitely speeding (60 in a 45) and both times I put my head down below the level of the dash and both times I got no ticket!!

I would imagine what happened is that they have essentially no evidence of anyone driving the car...therefore no ticket!!!

Best of luck

Ciao

Dino

14. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    How to beat photo radar? Locate the darned thing and (from behind) smash it to bits with a Louisville Slugger.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    YEAH! With ya on that one my friend!! Stick it to the man! :)

Dave

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    One way I've heard of people thwarting the pole mounted speed cams is the building of a GPS database of known traps that sets off an alert in the GPS handheld when your approaching one. Early warning...