355 rear panel color: black or color coded? | FerrariChat

355 rear panel color: black or color coded?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Zanzibar, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    I have just started looking around to purchase a used 355 Spider. Currently I am going through the online ads here in Europe and it has struck me that some cars have a black rear panel (where the tail lights sit in). Other cars have the panel color coordinated with the rest of the body. What is the difference? Is it related to the model year?

Rik Gruwez
    Brugge, Belgium

2. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    This is related to what you will hear as a "challenge grille" - which is black and has little holes. Some will say there are 2 benefits - 1.) Better engine cooling 2.) better appearance

Without question this will look better on some colors than others - I have kept the stock (color matched) on my 355 spider - I like the same color match personally.

I think the cost is about $1,000 US to get a Challenge Grill - so a nice add on if you like it.

Hope that helps,
    Rich

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #3 tonyh, Jul 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The black panel is called a "challenge" style grill & is made of perforated metal.It will allow more air into the engine bay and looks better than the colour coded, IMO.
    here's a pic of my car W/ challenge grill.
    Regards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Zanzibar

Zanzibar Karting

Jul 17, 2004
    Thanks for the replies. My personal preference goes to a yellow car with a color coded grille. But I understand that it is a matter of taste. At least now I know the difference. BTW, does anyone know the official Ferrari name for the yellow used on a 355? Giallo <something>, probably. And... was there only one kind of yellow used throughout the 355's production run?

Thanks,
    Rik Gruwez
    Brugge, Belgium

5. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    #5 tonyh, Jul 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rik,
    you are right on the colour and i believe Ferrari has only ever had this one yellow. BTW, i think the challenge grill looks outstanding on a giallo car :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. eholody

eholody Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Montreal, Quebec
    I believe the yellow is called "Giallo Modena". Best of luck in finding the perfect car!