Tubi Exhaust for 308 | FerrariChat

Tubi Exhaust for 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gary308gtb, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gary308gtb

gary308gtb Rookie

Oct 9, 2003
    Im thinking of putting a new exhaust for my 308, Is Tubi the best sounding exhaust for a 308 ? If so, where can I order it and for how much ? Are there any better brands suitable for old Ferraris ? What internet address can I search for it ?

Would changing the exhaust boost the horsepower or torque ?

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003

I have a quicksilver exhaust on my 308... it's not a pretty as a tubi but it didn't cost as much either. Sound is a subjective thing. I love the way mine sounds. It's much throatier than a tubi. Price was $1780 from Evans Automotive in Ohio.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I'd go to a Ferrari meet of some kind and listen to the cars. Also, recognize that the "Tubi-fied" exhuast note varies for 2 valve, 4-valve and 5-valve cars. Some people like the sound, some find it too loud. Gary Reed posted a sound recording of his QV with a Tubi some time ago. It was extraordinary and will make your blood flow. Suggest you search the archives.

I had an Ansa. I replaced with a Tubi. It is well made, has a great sound. It is also expensive.

Others have had something made up from motorcycle mufflers or similar(?) -- see John Asselta's posts of a few month's back. Were I doing it again, I'd do something like this and have the mufflers removable/replacement straight through pipes.

You might also check with QV London. They have made up exhausts to meet track noise regs and provide optimal back pressure. I am sure they are cheaper than a Tubi too.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I ran with Gary Reed when he still had his QV. It had a killer sound but was LOUD. On long drives I can only imagine it would kill you with 'cab drone'.

I run an ANSA on mine. It is fairly quiet but has a good sound when rapped out. Not as exciting as a Tubi though. I get a 'cab drone' with this one too at legal speeds and related RPM's.

Ideally I would like to have a loud Tubi type with detachable resonators so I can control the volume. I think Russ Turner (SNJ5) is doing something similar on his Mondial.

5. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 308 was extremely loud because it had test pipes along with the Tubi. The 1983 QV was the only year that the 4 valve engine that had a true "dual exhaust" system all the way back. It had two cats and two inlets to the Tubi.

The later years (84-85) only had one cat and one inlet to the muffer. They were much quieter, even with the cat replaced with a test pipe.

The car was a LOT quieter when I put the cats back in to sell it. It was like sticking a cork in a trumpet.

I would recommend a Tubi for any 308 owner. Test pipes are an option.

Here's a sound file of my car, -without the cats- on a dyno. I redlined (8k) every gear and hit 150mph on the rollers.

http://home.comcast.net/~garyreed3/308qv.wav

Gary

PS: I just bit the bullet and ordered a brand new Tubi for my Boxer. It's going to take six weeks for Tubi to build one and ship it, because they don't stock them.

It has a bundle of snakes for inlets (4-for each muffler) that match up to the header outlets and it should sound really amazing! No cats either.

6. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    W----O-----W, Gary, thanks for the wav file. I listened to it 3 times already, intoxicating sound.

7. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    I have a tubi on my 80 308GTBi and I like the sound. At speed you get a nice purr. At first I had test pipes on it with the tubi but it was much too loud for me. I also have a tubi on my 355B and the sound is great. Really nice F1 type whine.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The Tubi is the most popular, and would give you the most at resale too. Expect little to no performance boost...They sound great though. I would recommend keeping the cat on. Mine is pretty loud (328) with the cat still on.

You can run a "google" search for Tubi Style to find vendors. Call around to several, as pricing can vary amongs vendors.

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I love my tubi, I was one of their early customers about 11 years ago! I love it, but it is not nearly as loud as i would like, but I love ferrari's because of their sound, I even put Gary's wav file on my old band "Cirith Ungol" Servants of Chaos, last album. I have a friend who has a borla on a carb boxer and it is way loud and a litttle more rude sounding....but hey that is OK too!!!! Gary you are lucky, I love my car but dream of a 12 someday................PS your car looked great on the Griots catalog

10. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Despite the occasional problems that they have with prompt delivery, I *REALLY* like my Stebro exhaust on my 308QV. It sounds like a tubi, maybe even a bit deeper, but then also has removable tip inserts that you can take out, like for track events, and then you get a painfully loud full-flow race-car exhaust!

Also, they now give a 10% discount to Ferrari Club of America (FCA) members.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ANSA quoted me a non cat 308 set, $1207.00 each.

I think retail is $1700.00

12. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Where is best place to purchase test pipe for my 1984 308 GTS QV I have standard exhaust.

13. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I got a nice stainless system from Lyle Tanner at Ferrari parts exchange. I think around $1500 for muffler and two test pipes for my '83 308. Fit as bolt replacement. Nice deep throaty sound. A little loud an longer trips. Check out there web site.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Here's one source for test pipes:
    http://www.durable1.com/testtubes.htm

15. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I think you'll like the "euro resonator" that Stebro offers (www.stebro.net though it's not on their website, you have to call for it). It has a deeper growl and isn't as harsh as a straight pipe, but has just as much flow at the same or cheaper price.

16. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They don't seem to list anything for a 308? I'll try calling tomorrow.

17. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    George Evans at Evans Automotive in Ohio has test pipes... very reasonable... for a Ferrari

18. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    I will say that Quicksilver is really just ramping up their production.. My understanding is that they did mostly custom work at the onset... I have had very courteous dealing with them! Do call George! He's a great person to talk to and is very knowledgable about exotics

19. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I have a Borla on my 308QV, and I have to say it sounds great. Heads turn when I'm comig up. My neighbors know when I come and go.

20. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

I have a Tubi on my 84 QV. It is an amazing pitch and resonance. It will give you goosebumps in a tunnel! It does get rather mind-numbing on long drives, but I think it's well worth it.

$2300.00 installed

21. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Does anyone have George's phone number.

22. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    614-471-7535

23. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    George may be reasonable on 308 systems, but here's what he wrote me about a QuickSilver for my 512BBi:

"We are currently out of stock, I can have in 3-4 weeks. System runs
    $5245 plus shipping (from Ohio to you). The 512 system is very nice."

Needless to say, I'm buying a Tubi instead and paying a LOT less.

24. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    http://www.evansauto.com/tubipage.htm... I just checked his price for a tubi...