Nice Black Boxer on Ebay | FerrariChat

Nice Black Boxer on Ebay

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Chiaro_Slag, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    That vehicle looks in fine fettle.....From 3,000 maway at least ???

Should make a good buy for someone ?

Seb

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael

I Know this car!, It is Bad news, Nick Soprano sold it to my Friend Henry J...Henry unbenounced to him found out that it had a blown head gasket, and Nick would not admit to it.He lost 20g's on it and traded it to miller motorcars for a 95 355 GTB. Miller resold it again quickly to this person, as I am sure he now wants to unload it for same reason....A head gasket replacement is steep, and no one wants to steep in repairs!

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Any sense of what that head gasket and a full 30K might cost on the car?

-Daniel

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I would say 10-15k,

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    ouch!

6. Frank R. Masiarz

Nov 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Frank R. Masiarz
    Hi..........

What is the story with this Boxer ?? The VIN number is bogus: 512BB0565 ??? Dealer should at least post the correct serial number for the car.

Notice no pictures of the engine bay at eBay site either.

Hmmmmmmmm ??!!

Frank........23005
    www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

7. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    hmmmmm, I wonder who did the inspection?:

SERVICE HISTORY

Passed Thorough Dealer Inspection

Dealer Maintained
    Have Service Records
    Have Original Manuals

No Known Mechanical Problems

*****HOWEVER*****
    WARRANTY

Covered by a Limited Warranty. . Contact seller for details.

Hmmmm, limited warranty?

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Why would he "lose 20gs" and not just fix the problem?

It does look to be in good cosmetic condition. Low miles. I don't understand why you wouldn't just repair it.

9. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    So to buy this car with the said work still need doing what is a realistic price?

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A one owner low miles (12 -14,ooo)car can be had in Houston for $72K.

Red/Tan, no stories...a beautiful car. The owner could not get that money for it so it was withdrawn from sale.

I won't mention it again, get in touch when you get ready....;)

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That would make top money on this one, if still damaged, around 50 -55.

It says it had major service, so I don't know about this "blown head gasket" thing......

12. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    1. Buying for full retail price, finding you have a dog and only getting a trade in price for it in exchange for the 355.

Retail minus trade-in= cash loss

2. Buying the car for full retail price and finding it needs an additional 15/20k of work.

Full retail plus 15/20k= overpriced Boxer 15/20k

13. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    That is a VERY NICE looking black Boxer.

I hope someone buys it, takes care of it's needs and DRIVES it.

With only 7K miles put on it in 22 years, it's going to need a LOT of stuff replaced!

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    looks like the 30K was done 4 years ago

15. Lsand007

Lsand007 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Lee Sanders
    This is Telaio 40565.

It has an "interesting" history even before Nick had it. Since 2001 it has had at least 5 separate owners/dealers involved with it.

A gentleman named Richard A. owned it for ONE month and then it went to Nick. It sat in storage in Pittsburgh from the 80's through 2000.

It wil need $15 - 35k to be made right.

But yes, beautiful car.

Lee

16. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Guys,
    I was dead serious about securing this car today. Had a deal cut with the dealer off E-bay, and was booking a flight to New York for a Saturday inspection. A friend saw the posts on this thread and gave me a call. I cancelled my deposit until I could get additional info on it's history.
    If you know hardcore specifics of this cars owner/service history other than what has already been posted, please advise. If you feel more comfortable PM me.
    If you feel it needs $15- 35k worth of work, be specific as to how you know what is needed to make it right. Lay it on me.
    Thanks,
    Dave

17. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
  18. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Glad I started this post - I hope I saved you a headache!

19. atheyg

atheyg Guest

7700 miles and a bad head gasket? Wonder what happened?

A bad headgasket the car must run like crap and possibly have coolant in the oil, not a very subtle problem.I guess it's easy to be seduced by it's looks.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, it is good for everyone to look out for each other, but all the nay sayers here are not to keen on the specifics.

Was the head gasket fixed in the major?

What is the problem with five owners in such a short period of time?
    Lots of Boxers changing hands right now. If I picked 20 newbies and GAVE them this car with problems, you might go thru 6 - 10 before you found the guy with the b@lls and the wallet to yank the motor and get down to it.

Where's the $$20-35K problems with this car? SPECIFICALLY.

Man, it's tiring to hear "OMG it's so old, it's gonna have ISSUES.
    Well, WHAT ISSUES, aside from what is NORMAL care for a complicated machine like this?

21. markn

markn Rookie

Jul 22, 2004
    I am the GM and general counsel for Hunting Ridge Motor Sports. We purchased this beautiful vehicle from Miller. The gentlemen that sold the vehicle to Miller (Henry J) was at Miller this morning. He was given a copy of this thread and stated that the vehicle does not have a head gasket problem and that he DOES NOT KNOW michael of msdesignltd. We guarantee that this vehicle does not have a blown head gasket and stand behind the vehicles that we sell. BEFORE YOU BLAST, CHECK YOUR FACTS. Since all 512 BB's are grey market vehicles, ebay will not accept their vin numbers. The vin is ZFFJA09B000040565. The limited warranty that comes with the vehicle is the New York State Law warranty that covers engines including engine block and cylinder head. This warranty that comes with this vehicle is for 90 days or 4,000 miles (whichever occurs first). I have had the pleasure of meeting many of you guys on Ferrari Chat and I am a huge car enthusiast. If you are interested in this vehicle, please feel free to call me.

Mark Nyman
    (914) 939-7200
    Hunting Ridge Motor Sports.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I dont know whether the car has a head gasket problem, but as the owner of a boxer I can list things that should or should have been done over the past few years.

Firstly there are two types of engine out services, one is just a belt change the other more coprehensive.

Think water pump shim all valvs clean accumulated gunk from the intake, are plug wires new, rebuild distributor etc. Then if car has been sitting in what shape are injectors. Lastly after 20 years every hose in car must be replaced, they look fine from outside but will be rotten on the inside.

Then what about brakes, after 20 years calipers must be rebuilt and hoses replaced. Shocks if not renewed will be shot also.

It is possible that this car has had all these things done. realisticaly if you want to really enjoy Driving these are the minimum requirements to bring a boxer that has been sitting up to fine operating condition. Anything less and you have a drivable parade car.

Of course there may be any number of other little things like windows etc that may need attending as well.

If all of the above need doing figure 15-20k of just brakes and shocks figure 3-5k hoses 2k and if youre doing hoses you might as well take the engine out.

Then there are tires if they are origoinal you need to replace them figure another 1-2k.

My opinion for what its worth, a boxer is one of the most fun machines, every drive is an occasion and its beautiful. Starting with a sound low mileage car and doing the work that needs to be done nets you an awesome almost new boxer. If you start with a car where someone has clearly done all the work or you have it done right after purchase you know where you are and avoid that costly and aggravating voyage of discovery. So its either a well maintained driven example or a low mileage hanger queeen you put right.

23. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My Boxer has 24000 kms or roughly 15k on it, the stories and assumptions that every po just let these low mileage cars rot and sit is mostly pure bs, every past owner of my car clearly was a enthusiest, loved Boxers and spent lots of $$$ keeping the car up, sure it's and old car and will have problems but most issues will have been taken care of, Boxers are high end cars not entry level and anyone that has $70K+ to spend on a car has money and will take care of their investment vs a lower end entry car that someone barely can afford let alone keep up.

Dave congrats on you new Boxer they are an incredible bargain for what you get and one of the very few ultimate Ferraris ever made.

24. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, My facts were off somewhat but not all the way. I have mistated the facts. I believe it is not a blown head gasket , it is a leaking head gasket. Sorry for stepping on anyones toes.I RETRACT my previous statement.