losing a ferrari because of a divorce | FerrariChat

losing a ferrari because of a divorce

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scycle2020, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    has anyone ever had to sell their ferrari or other exotic because of a divorce? any experiences and impressions? did you end up buying another exotic inthe future?..i wont even mention why i ask this question, its too painful to even think about it! of course i mean losing the ferrari, not my wife!

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I kept the Ferrari and got rid of the crabby wife.

It worked out much better.

Have two Ferraris now, one for the hot girlfriend! She likes it!

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If you dream of a prancing horse, it is a sign you need more personal freedom in your life...A Jungian shrink pointed that out to me, during my divorce recovery therapy.. then I went for coffee with a hot co ed from class, we talked long into the evening, gazing into a fountain at the university.

Best of Luck my friend! :)

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    your my new role model and hero alan!!!!

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Live life man.....a six by six hole waits for us all............

I was helping to zip my dad into the plastic sack, when I made my decision.....

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ...on my birthday.....

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dumped the overly controlling girlfriend and got the Ferrari two months later :)

8. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    My Uncle recently completed "the process." He had to give up the house and the boat, but kept the Ferrari. It was the right decision.

Scottie

9. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    my ex wife was a fantastic house keeper that was the problem i got the ferrari and she kept the house what a house keeper???????

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    get a good dome tent....keep moving! LOL.

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Sorry for your situation.

Hope everything will work out as you want.

Even you don't have pre-naptial, you may still get away selling your Ferrari. When you both look at your asset, you can be specific on maintenance cost issue on the car, then the car may not look that high value! Well, seriously, you can negotiate to share pre-determined amount upon selling (if you ever did) your Ferrari. However, decide the term of this contract (effective length) Unless she's out to to destroy you, she may accept the offer to let you keep the car since she should know how much it means to you. Some of my friends used this method so they didn't have to part w/ their collection. (watches, sports cards, boat, etc.) Of course, the best is that she won't consider your Ferrari as liquid asset to share...

12. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    scycle2020. I also feel for you,Man. But,yes. Things will get better. Let me tell you my past situations.

First,back in 1990. I had had an '85 Corvette for a few years. The motor was totally redone. HotRodded. (The whole car was,really.) It was the 2nd. Vette I ever owned at that time.(Have owned 7 since) Ex-Wife drove a Camaro. Well,she was Pregnant,and couldn't get in and out of the Camaro anymore. So,I Sold my Vette,and bought her a new GrandAm,and I took the Camaro. I was bummed,but had to do it. But,ended up getting another 'Vette,a '75 Convertible,a few months later. But,wait......

Then,almost bought a Ferrari a couple of times,but,the cars just weren't right. (Maybe it was fate,as,I'd have probably lost that car,too...:( ) So,I bought more 'Vettes. Had a few different ones,but ended up with a 1995 LT-1 Coupe. A totally built 1981 Coupe,(383 Stroker-550 HP.) and the 1975 Convertible. 3 at once.

Well,we decided to get Divorced. This was 1998. I had to sell the 2 older Vettes.(She got 1/2 the money from each sale) And,her Divorce Attorney took,through Legal wrangling,the Title to my '95. I had to "Pay her off" to keep it,and get the Title back.

And...AND,being the nice guy that I am. GAVE her the House,(just to get out of the Marriage as fast as I could! :) )

But,about a year later,I got my first Ferrari. I had a Vette and a Ferrari...and....AND....She couldn't touch 'em!!! :) What a great feeling! Now,I Sold the Vette,and am looking to add a Second Ferrari.

So,fret not my friend. It WILL Be O.K. It will come to pass.

Good Luck,and get a GOOD Divorce Attorney. (Now,there's a scam...I Should've went to Law School. :( )

13. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Form a shell type Nevada corporation were the owners are not a public record put the car title into it, put the car in storage and tell her it's gone

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    It's said, "life is too short to drink cheap wine." Well, it's also too short to be stuck with a b*tch. Unfortunately, it took me 20 years to figure that one out.

Yes, divorce has it's bad points -- lose money, cars, houses, alimony, etc. But losing 140 lbs of pain in the butt is worth every penny. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Things are easy to replace. Being free of the nagging you-know-what is priceless!

I've been divorced for almost 5 years. In that time, I've had, in addition to my daily driver, the pleasure of owning and driving the heck out of a '89 Jaguar XJS, a '72 Jaguar E-type V-12 2+2, a '70 XKE FHC, and now an '84 Ferrari Mondial QV. The XJS is gone, but the two XKE's are still hanging around to keep the Ferrari company. If I can sell the '72 to make room, I'm thinking of getting a 308.

And the best part -- no one can tell me NOT to buy what I want or sell what I want. I'm doing what makes ME happy for a change. And it feels gooooood.

Regards,
    Steve

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    And the advantages of getting married versus living with her is ??? i have always wondered why you guys get married. This marriage thing appears to make little sense really. Costly divorce, you take a hit in taxes, etc.

Please educate me of the advantages over simply living together.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This is the best advice you're gonna get about this situation. I used to do expert witness work in family law cases. Note the past tense. There is no such thing as a good divorce. Get yourself a lawyer with rabies before she does.

Good luck, DrTax

17. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Back 30 years ago, that's what you did. I was young and dumb and didn't know better. Have a wonderful gf right now, and I'm certainly not going to let marriage screw that up. It's taken a while, but I'm learning.

.... Hmmmm.... now if I just think about how many Ferraris that lesson cost me....

Regards,
    Steve W.

18. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    How ironic that gay people are begging to be allowed to get married, but the very people who frown on men and women shacking up are against requiring gays to follow the proporty laws that married hetrosexuals are obligated to. America can be a very strange country.

Ken

19. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

I have to say..I'm on the same page as you are. It does seem silly since most of the time, the guy takes a beating in the divorce. Even sillier are the guys who have been married already and then sign up for another term. I hear ridiculous stories about wives making guys choose her or the car. I always wonder "and you kept her?" :)

Interesting enough...I've never had a guy give me that ultimatum.

20. rascalif

rascalif Karting

Dec 20, 2003
    Southern California
    Let me try to put it in terms folks here will understand.

Being married to the right woman brings more happiness than owning a ten F40's.

Raising wonderful children together brings more satisfaction than owning a hundred F50's.

Becoming an old married couple together brings more contentment than owning a thousand Enzo's.

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    For the record, i am for same sex marriage. And yes, America is a VERY strange country.

22. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge

You can still have ALL that without being married. And if you can afford the ferrari's too, well then more power to you!

23. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i plan on staying single and dying young. growing old is going to suck anyway, growing old and dying alone would be worse!!!! i just want a carb V12 before i go :)

24. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed. And no worries about growing old alone. There are more women than men in the world.

25. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Well said !!
    Sorry it didnt work out well for some but the marriage part is great, if you have a great woman of course.