Driving on Dope | FerrariChat

Driving on Dope

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by LAfun2, Jul 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I just watched the 5th gear show on speedchannel. The show is pretty good, and is witty and political at times (when they tested Americas new protection car based on the Ford 350), and is much funnier than your average American car magazine show.

Tonight they did an episode on people who smoke dope/weed/marijuana and drive. They did a test of stopping, slalom, parking, emergency braking by a gentlemen who was sober. He did perfectly on all the tests, except he knocked over two cones on parking.

Then he voluntarily smoked weed, and repeated the tests after he felt the after effects. He passed all the tests with flying colors. He said though he felt a bit light headed, because of paranoia caused by the drug, he was much more attentive to his driving. The journalist was astonished with the results and kept repeating "we do not condone drug use and driving."

I have never smoked pot and I don't drink, but the test baffled me. We always hear about people who smoke weed and kill people.

For those of you with any experience with weed (ImpalaSS, we know you are the expert ;) ), can you shed some light on this serious subject?

Thanks for the info.

-Ryan

2. Ferrariguy2

Ferrariguy2 F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2004
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Chief
    I've been known to hit the 'funny cigarettes' now and then, but I wouldn't drive afterwards.... It probably is a lot safer than drinking and driving, but still why take the chance?

3. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    My friend hit and killed somone a few years ago under the influence of narcotics, I personally am very against it, if things like that happen, it's be safer to have a driver, thats what i do and it pays off, don't want to risk it u know

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You also have to watch what people say. There was an anti-drug TV commercial running here not long ago that said something to the effect that ..of all the people tested after a fatal accident 75% tested positive for drugs...

Remember what the CPA's say... figures may not lie but liars do figure. They didn't cite any study or real numbers after making the above statement. They could have only tested four drivers and gotten three that tested positive to get their numbers. It falsely (and I'm sure purposely) leaves you with the impression that 75% of ALL fatal car crashes are caused by drugs.

While I certainly don't condone the use of drugs (or drinking) and driving I also don't like it when some group tries to shove it's agenda down my throat!

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ryan, i can't believe a journalist would even do something so stupid... Who was the journalist in question...?

He should do another show, this time with a THOUSAND people who are all sober and then all voluntarily smoke some mary jane and see what the odds are, then... One person's reaction to it is totally different from other peoples' reactions to it...

My dad smoked - probablly still does, i don't know - and he liked to smoke while he was driving... i can remember MANY nights being in the back seat of that car, the mild aroma of skunk wafting in the air, as he bobbed and weaved his early 80's Pontiac down windy Bear Mountain roads... Not once did he ever get into an accident...

Back in high school, i experimented with pot and the first 5 or so times - all separate occasions - it never did ANYthing to me; not a thing... After that, i guess my tolerance for it wore off and it actually got me dizzy... Dizzy, paranoid, cotton mouth - that's what the high consisted of for me... i knew other folks who loved it and never experienced the side effects i did... Everyone feels it differently and everyone reacts to different things differently when under the influence...

6. udalmia

udalmia Guest

Being in college, I have come in contact with several people who mix dope + driving.. Fortunately, *Touchwood*, they have never been involved in accidents of any sort.. I have done it a couple of times myself, it isnt half as hard as it is after drinking (which i have done once and will never do again) though as Carbon said, people handle it differently..

Regarding the higher degree of consciousness, I think that is true, whenever I did it I made sure never go above 30 mph and was braking almost 2-3 seconds early to make sure I didnt touch anything.. Personally I think its dangerous and do not encourage it..

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Why the hell do it in the first place? Thats always been the one thing thats baffled me...

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Trust me, if you're young, "rebellious," live in a small town and there's nothing else to do...

9. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    This is not a good idea!

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    There's a huge difference doing this as a controlled test on a closed course where the participant is focused on doing well versus some kid smoking dope, hopping into his car and blending into traffic with all the distractions, radio/CD player, fast food signs and so on.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Geez, too much to respond to all at once. First of all, I don't enjoy smoking any more. Too many responsibilities now and dope isn't conducive to having a clear head and getting much done. For the right person, at the right time, and in the right place I almost think everyone should experience it. You may laugh, but I contribute much of my success and positive outlook on life to pot. I was an uptight kid with many social skills lacking through high school. I smoked just through college. You have to understand I wasn't a wake and bake all day hippie. We swam way too hard during the week for that to interfere. It was basically a once every week or two where some close friends (mostly swimmers) would go on "nature" walks or just hole up in a dorm room listening to The Grateful Dead. It was a very relaxing, enlightening, and enjoyable experience with friends.

Now to address some things in this thread...

Just smoking pot has not killed any more people than playing frisbee. However, many people that do other drugs also smoke pot, so there are other drugs out there that can make you dangerous. Other drug users usually smoke pot too, but all the types I hung out with never did any other drugs, maybe just shrooms once in awhile. Those crack whores are the ones giving peaceful pot smokers a bad name. It's a fact that smoking a couple packs of cigs a day is worse for you than smoking a joint. How many hundreds of thousands have died from cigs? It's also a fact that drunk drivers are a hundred times more dangerous than someone just under the influence of pot. However, there were a couple times I wouldn't have dare driven. It is possible to laugh so hard with giggles that the eyes close up! :D

Which isn't pot. Again, don't group all drugs together. They all have various effects on your driving abilities. I wouldn't recommend driving after smoking pot though. But I wouldn't recomend driving tired either.

This is 100% normal. Body has a natural resistance to the THC effects. It takes a few times to "hit" you, but when it does. Oh my gosh do you know! You might not have had good weed either. Various weed will have various effects. The bad stuff just makes you sleepy, hungry, and drys your mouth out.

I kinda explained this above. It's up to each person. I wouldn't recommend it for all, but in the right situations I would recommend it for everyone. I've run into so many people that are so close minded and just echo Nancy Reagan over and over. You'll never get through to all of these people that sometimes what they've been fed from authorities is crap and unjust. Alcohol is far more damaging to our society and each of us personally, but our culture is accepting of alcohol. It all goes back to my religious beliefs, just because I grew up where everyone expects you to be a Christian, doesn't mean it's the right thing for you. There are followers of what everyone else is doing around them and then there are others that are comfortable looking outside the box.

I agree 100%. Last thing a young inexperienced driver needs is another distraction. I'm convinced 80% of drivers can't handle talking on the cell phone and driving.

12. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Are you a pothead, Focker?

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Drunks run red lights, smokers stop for green ones......

Is marijuana bad for you? Absolutely, it causes your body to be thrown in jail! :)

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, you can say that again...! i remember the time i smoked weed and, unbeknownst to me, it was laced with dust...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, boy, what a wild ride... i'm too uptight a person to have things like dust interfere with what's already going on upstairs... No thanks...

15. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Learn something new everyday. My mom always told me I shouldn't do drugs/pot/whatever illegal substance, as it wasn't a good thing. I was one of those kids that listened.

The closest to any drug I came was taking two puffs off a cigarette at age 13 on the Santa Monica Pier.

I do have other vices, that make up for my lack of drug induced activities. :D

At least, now if I fail in life, I can tell my mom "See mom, I should have done drugs!!"

:D

16. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    I have smoked and driven many thousands of miles high. Freeways, backroads, you name it. Weed affects me by enhancing and bringing out the basic sensations everyone feels while driving but doesn't pay attention to: the squirming of each corner's suspension moving through it's arc over bumps, the slight whipping of ones neck when the rear just starts to break from its defined line, even the feedback through the steering wheel.
    Marijuana is very different from alcohol. It does not deaden the senses and make you feel invincible. It is actually just the opposite (for me).
    That being said, it's probably a more dangerous venture than driving sober and alert. So I guess my experiences so far have been much like the reporter on Fifth Gear - "Wow this is amazing, but don't ever do it!".

17. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Wow, just when you think you know someone. Still, you got to respect someone that tells the truth. I just it doesn't come back to haunt you when you run for public office.

18. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    I don't remember a thing about smoking it out and driving.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    If I do, then it will be the Libertarian party and they wouldn't accept you unless you had smoked pot.

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I can't run for office either, the ex had that Salavadorian housekeeper all those years........Not as good as Marlon Brando's apparently, all mine did was clean the house and watch the kids....

Marlon's had other duties, according to the Will.......:)

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rob328gts for President! LOL!

Oh wait, he already IS FCA Chapter President, never mind..........

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    A clearly stoned 22 kid caused a slower speed head-on to me three years ago. I got out of my truck and this guy reaked. I asked him if he was high. He laughed and said 'Yes'. I beat the hell out of him and threw him back in his car. I told him that if he told the cops what I did, I would beat his a$$ again.

I have NO respect for people that drive drunk or under the influence of ANY drug. THEY KILL PEOPLE!

Ps: Infreredline: If you hit me while you were high, I'd beat the hell out of you too!

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm glad of your stance and I agree 100%, I'm sure you would agree with me too about beating the hell out of anyone that hits you while tired, talking on the cell phone, driving without insurance, driving without a license, and even your grandma that has no business driving anymore. :) Beat em all!

24. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I cannot agree, sorry. Driving tired, talking on the cell phone, driving without insurance, driving without a license is not a felony. Maybe just a slap upside the head!(Driving without insurance may be worthy of six or seven slaps)

25. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So basically you are saying that you don't want someone to drive under the influence only because it is a felony and not because of any danger?

Maybe I am reading your post wrong but any of the factors listed by Rob can be just as dangerous legal or illegal!

Also, you are waaaaaaaay off base with the uninsured motorist. It should be an 8 slap minimum!!!;)