Need plug wires for a 512TR | FerrariChat

Need plug wires for a 512TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by WILLIAM H, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My mechanic says that Ferrari doesnt have any in stock. Anybody know who has some new wires ? Thanks

2. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    William,

You might try calling G.T. Car Parts in Phoenix, AZ.

I just bought a set of brand new factory wires (no longer available) for my 512BBi at a very reasonable price.

All of the dealers and usual Ferrari parts places either had none available or wanted TWICE the price that I paid from GT.

623-780-2200

Gary

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks, I'll give them a try :)

4. rjnavion

rjnavion Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Gate, OK (western O
    Full Name:
    Ron Judy
    I purchased the 7-12 (left side) wires about a year ago. Carabu in CA located them from a Ferrari dealer. I was told they were the last set left anywhere in the world and the 1-6 (right side) was absolutely not available anywhere. Cost at that time with a discount was just under $900 per side. I placed the 1-6 set on backorder and was notified in several months that Ferrari had their supplier in Germany make another run of the wire sets. But, you guessed it, the cost had doubled. Another Ferrari shop double checked the list price for me and it was in excess of $2000 per side.

I had a friend in England purchase them, I believe from Ferrari UK, but can't absolutely confirm that was the source. He owned a manufacturing business and had a way to recover the "Value Added" tax or whatever UK calls it. The tax is a bigger rip-off than anything Washington has dreamed up. Bottom line was the 1-6 wire set was about $1500 after shipping and import duty.

I had checked every source I could possibly scrounge up and the wire set is so complex that no aftermarket manufacturer has picked up on it. I found sources for kits to fabricate the Testarossa wiring in the field, but not the 512TR. The boots are special and there is a long loom plate that bolts to the valve cover with the wires passing through the plate. One shop told me the wiring is aluminum shielded but I can't confirm that. I don't want to cut into the old set to find out as it was still functioning although I had minor leakage on three wires.

The new wires were beautiful, exactly like the originals, built by the same manufacturer, and in yellow Ferrari boxes. Good luck finding them; my originals lasted 11 years so I'm not worrying about needing them again.

Ron

5. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    William, if you are not hung up on OEM only try Magnecore wires. I have run these wires in my former 308 for 4 years, several P-Car 930's and will not hesitate to run in my current 348 spider when the need arises. A little work required. Purchased the generic 8 cylinder set and used the old stock boots etc. Also required a low cost special tool to install/ crimp ends.
    A readily available, cost efficient option.
    IMHO a better wire than Ferrari stock.
    Look at www.magnecore.com for more info.
    Good luck,
    John