Good source of lightweight Flywheel for 308's? | FerrariChat

Good source of lightweight Flywheel for 308's?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tbakowsky, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Does anybody have any source's for a lightweight flywheel and clutch assem for the 308's? Also if you have installed one could you please give me some feed back as to weather it is really worth doing? I want to get better throttle response from my engine, but I just don't have the buck's to go full EFI at the momment. I called Marenello Auto Parts and they do have a billet flywheel but he is not sure whether the difference in weight is that much. I have never seen one installed on a car so I can't really make a decision beased on experiance with them.

Thanks.

2. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Can't you take yours off and bring it to a quality machine shop, have it lightened and resurfaced?

Why buy a whole new unit when the one in your car could be made the way you want?

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I have a tilton 7.25" carbon-carbon in my car. It's a LOT lighter and small diameter than a stock clutch and can be mounted on a light flywheel. I stuck with the stock flywheel because light on the street can be a problem to drive, they like to stall pulling away if you don't keep the revs up. I really did the clutch because the stock type are not happy with the hp I have and it wasn't cheap, it cost $3500 without a flywheel, that would add another $1000-$1500.

4. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Tom,

I've thought about a low inertia flywheel for my 308 also. After fitting one to my Lotus Elan years ago, I would never go back to a stock one on this car. The engine revs much easier without all the inertia and therefore puts more engine power down on the road. One needs to be a little more careful when engaging the clutch, but if the car is running well, this is very easy to get used to. There is no need to buzz the engine to get going if you have good low speed running. Once you are moving, it's wonderful.

When I was searching a couple of years ago I came across this outfit as a possible source:

http://www.aluminumflywheels.com/

I spoke with them on the phone and they told be they could do one. I never followed up because I had too many other issues to address on my car at the time. You might want to contact them and explore the issue. The easiest way to make it happen is to probably supply them with a stock flywheel from which they could take necessary geometry. If you could also supply a ring gear, I’m sure this would likely speed up the design process and reduce costs.

If you are interested in pursuing this, I do have a used stock flywheel that I could make available and I do know the stock new thickness (which is buried in the Fchat archives somewhere).

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I forgot, Nick also sells a package. Light flywheel with a quartermaster 7.25 twin disk clutch (mine is a triple), I think the price is $3k. I looked at it, but I wasn't sure how streetable it really was. He told me he thought it would be ok, but the couple he had sold went to the track. Also the quartermaster sight really said there clutches were for race use only.

Tilton on the other hand said there clutch was fine for the street and they had sold about 5 for street cars. I found a web sight by a guy with a monster turbo supra who rated all the clutches he had tried (there were about 10) and the tilton was in a league of it's own. Rexracer (?) also recomended it, although his experience was at the track. So I bought one. It is everything I hoped it would be. Light pedal, not particularly grabby, and handles any abuse I can throw at it.....if it wasn't for the price....

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks guy's for the responses. This is somthing I really want to look at doing.

Bill308..thanks for the link I will have to contact them. Also thank you for the offer of your used flywheel, But I beleive I have one kicking around someplace in my mess of Ferrari parts:)

7. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    IMHO, lightening the flywheel is probably the easiest and least expensive way to increase the throttle response.

I have done it to a quick auto-x prepared Porsche speedster & 914 porsche, which also had a chrome faced 911s pressure plate, a datsun and toyota pick up.

In every case the engine respons was noticeably quicker. In every case, i also experienced a bit of stalling, periodically, when both my brain cells were not on the task of driving. This is not to say that it is an insurmountable problem, only that it does occasionally occurr if you are driving two or more vehicles. no big deal.

Has anyone questioned Verell or any of the other hard-core afficionados who do machining. I would be amazed if he hadn't done one yet.

If you look out there at some of the lightened flywheels it is amazing to see the what can be done to get the weight off.

What does the stock flywheel weigh???

What can it be realistically lightened to?????

Porsche 356 SC - 8 pounds

Porsche 914 - 11 pounds

Datsun pick up 12 pounds

Toyota 22R 12 pounds

How close to a "Zero balance" are the stock 308 flywheels. If they are really close, it might be posssible to spin the flywheel, trim off some of the outter mass and reinstall without having to rebalance the unit???

So far, we have only touched on the flywheel. Are there any other pressure plates for the 308 that differ in weight??

Has anyone catalogued the options for weight, performance and cost???

It's fairly easy to ask questions, eh???

A feeble inquiring mind would like to know.

chris

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Search the Old Fchat archives for aluminum or Al or lightweight & flywheel.

Several members have had them made up with a steel insert to interface with the clutch disc. Had to supply a doner flywheel for the perimeter gear ring i believe.

Wish I did have something capable of turning something as big as a flywheel out. I'd be able to fix that 10,000 RPM clutch I bought on eBAY.

However, my lathe & mill are the small ones described at:
    www.mini-lathe.com

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  10. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    For completeness on this topic I'm reposting one of my old posts:

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 9:57 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just took delivery of a virgin, GT-4 flywheel I won on ebay, from Gentry Lane in Canada. A quick measurement, with a dial caliper, yielded 0.632 inches (16.05 mm) thick at the edge. This measurement clears the ring gear.

11. Tig368

Tig368 Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    I have a light weight aluminum flywheel, but unfortunately, the guys that made it went out of business. By the way, they had to reuse my ring gear to make the new flywheel. If your ring gear is in bad shape, you can purchase a new one from Norwood for $180 or so. Check the guys at Paeco, they use a bronze insert in their aluminum flywheels and can set it up for a stock clutch or an uprated one.

Regards,
    Alan Ing