2001 Boxster S to a 348 tb. | FerrariChat

2001 Boxster S to a 348 tb.

Discussion in '348/355' started by jason koplenik, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jason koplenik

Dec 10, 2003
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Jason K
    Getting ready to up grade from a Boxster S to a 911 3.6t or 348 tb. I’m pretty familiar with the Porsche Turbo from the maintenance, power and drivability standpoint but not with the Ferrari. I was thinking if I was going to spend around 50k on a 911 why not explore the possibility of owning a Ferrari. I'm looking for some input on this subject (348TB) drivability, maintenance, what to look for and what year if any to stay away from. Thanks Jason.

2. rkrenek

rkrenek Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Jason,

There is already a wealth of information on this topic. You can use the search feature to find it.

Regards,
    Rob.

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Hi Jason, I am also selling my boxter s, but think more along the lines of a testarossa...good luck!

I also wondered if a 348 would be faster than a boxter s...or handle better. Anyone owned both, care to comment?

4. D-348

D-348 Karting

May 6, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Cochran
    Yes to both questions. Next to the 348, your boxter s will handle like a step ladder. If you go with a 348, you will not be disappointed - there is nothing like owning a Ferrari. I would suggest that if you get a 348, look for a late model one - they are much more solid and perform better than the earlier models (look for '94 or better).

5. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny

From a magazine racers POV, the Boxster S should/would be able to tear the 348 apart in performance, both on the drag strip and on the road course-- you don't get a Ferrari for it's numbers though-- drive one back to back w/ a Boxster S and see how it measures up...

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Owned two 911s, an 87, and an 96. Sold them both in 98 to but my 86TR. Never looked back.

p.s....the TR just hit 50k last weekend !!

7. millemiglia

millemiglia Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Upgrade performance wise or a change of stable?
    If it's bone-crushing acceleration your looking for the the 911 Turbo is the way to go. A 964 Turbo will blow the Boxster S and any 348 away in a straight line.

I'm biased, but I think the 348 makes a really good first Ferrari, it's quite modern, a quite strong performer and IMO a great looker. Compare to the Boxster S I think off the line performance is similar but the 348 has more mid-range grunt and will easily spray the Boxster S from a rolling start.
    A well maintained 348 engine is close to bullet-proof, but the service costs *will* be much higher than the Porsche.
    I would look for a 348 from 1992 onwards, those cars have revised suspension geometry which improved the roadholding.
    Or if you would consider another softtop, you could go for the Spider with the extra horsepower and further improvements to the chassis. What to look for, I'd rather buy a car which has been driven on a regular basis (3000miles/yr) than a car that has been garaged, showing no signs of usage.
    Garage queens could prove very expensive...

My two cents anyway.

// Peter

8. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    I woud agree with the 1992 or newer standpoint, though in '93 and '94 you are looking at much thinner pickings, as there where only 100 Specials, and only 32 Challenge cars. After that, it is all Spiders, and the price is much higner.

9. worth it

worth it Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2002
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    David C.
    I did exactly what you are doing back in 2002 - I have had all types of 911's going back 14 years in a row. Before I moved another P-car it dawned on me to investigate further. Just as you are.

I am assuming that you are NOT looking for a daily driver but a fun weekender an occasional week day ride.

Before continuing I must add how disappointed I have become in P-cars since leaving the air-cooled design. The cars are just NOT what they used to be and they do NOT hold their value ( if you worry about this ).

Simply stated - my 348 Spider is far better in most every way. I do not study magazine spec's. I go by feeling and the F-car is just a different animal. It looks, feels and drives in a class above.

All I can say is that beware - if you drive an F-car you will not go back.

BTW - Just the other day I parked near a Boxster "S" - and My 10 year old car created a stir and no one cared about the "P" - even the owner came over. Personally this part does not interest me but I can tell you that the driving experience will improve if you cahnge stables.