DFW O/T: Need a good Orthopedic Surgeon in Plano area | FerrariChat

DFW O/T: Need a good Orthopedic Surgeon in Plano area

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do any of you know of a good Orthopedic Surgeon in the Plano Richardson area? It's time to get my knee looked at, I can't stand it any more.

2. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    D Magazine just published its "Best of" edition and it has an entire thick section on metroplex doctors in all specialties. You might check in there.

3. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Good luck, Jim. I had my miniscus trimmed about a year or so ago and it's like brand new again (there were times I could barely walk). The most painful part was getting the MRI... had to lay there still for 45 minutes while it ached like crazy!

I recall Tillman had some work done too.

4. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    OMG, MRI is one of the worse experiences i've ever had. i'm not even claustrophobic and i hyperventilated the first time they shoved me into that tiny coffin. they had to back me out and let me catch my breath. felt like an idiot but i was not expecting to feel like i was buried alive. i had like 2 inches of wiggle room above me and my shoulders were pressed flush against the sides. i guess some of the newer MRI's are completely open but mine sure was NOT!

5. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    Try Dr. Tanamachi...I think he is in the vicinity you are looking for. My boyfriend has a practice in the area and recommends him for ortho work.

BTW, any doc can get in the best of edition of D mag..you just need to be willing to pay $ to get in. It isn't a true nomination by peers or patients as you would expect.

Good luck!

6. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Try Kerlin-Jobe in West Los Angeles, they do the Lakers and Angels. If its my knee, a few hours on a plane is not a factor.

7. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    I highly recommend Austin Sports Medicine.

http://www.austinsportsmed.com/

Check out their credentials. They have helped many atheletes including Postal. Dr. Breazeale is my surgeon/doctor.

I had ACL reconstruction, MCL repair and patella cartlidge repair on June 3 of this year. I am now without a brace, full range of motion and riding my road bike since last thursday. I'm already at or above 70% of my full strength before the injury. They had me doing exercises immediately along with a constant motion machine while I was sleeping, a cool suit for my knee (exactly like we use in the race cars, except instead of a vest, it's a knee wrap with ice water circulating 24 hours).

They harvested a piece of my hamstring to make the new ACL. Hamstring grows back btw. Patella graft used to be the norm, but it does not grow back. Cadaver graft also is used, but you risk rejection, aids, etc.

Anyhow, for me, they made 4 ortho incisions and one 1.5" incision for the hamstring harvest, then they drilled holes thru the upper portion of the knee and a hole though the lower portion at the root of the ACL attachments. They then threaded the "live" tissue through the holes and secured it with disolving screws.

I'm 41 years old and very active. I'm VERY please with the progress and you can't even see my scars unless I point them out and shove them in your face.

If you want to stay in DFW area, I'm sure they could give you a good reference as they are on the fellowship.

David