Best Golf Driver Out There? | FerrariChat

Best Golf Driver Out There?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ghost, Jul 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Looking to give some people golf gifts, and would like to present them with a golf driver. I've heard the TaylorMade F7 Quad Ti Driver is really good. Does anybody have thoughts on other drivers out there they would recommend.

Thx.

2. Bad Chariot

Bad Chariot Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ghost,

Slight correction, it's the R7 not T7 Quad driver. Sorry I am a golf nut. While getting a person a 400-500.00 driver is a very nice gift, golf clubs are like cars. Everyone is looking for something VERY different in a club and that is why there are so many different options on the market.

There are SOOO many different criteria in selecting a driver. You have to consider the correct loft, the correct shaft stiffness, the correct shaft bend point, ....are you getting the picture on the madness? :)

People who buy say a "Callaway Big Bertha" well just because it's a Callaway Big Bertha should be kicked in the teeth! Sorry slight irk to me JUST buying on name not performance.

Back to the R7, while it's a tinkerer's dream, the performance vs. cost is not there. I have tried this club and would not spend the $499.99 for it. I would rate drivers for "Most likely to appeal to the masses" the following sequence:

1. Titleist 983 series (I have the 983E but people who slice like the 983K)
    2. Taylor Made 580XD
    3. Cobra 440SZ
    4. Cleveland Launcher 400
    5. Nike Ignite 410 or 460

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Michael

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i've driven a few Golfs before and, i'll admit, i was pretty damn good at it... :D

4. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    This is terrific information to get me started Michael. I have only picked up the game of golf recently, and consequently am far, far away from understanding all the considerations that go into choosing the "right" club. What I do know is that (i) value for money, and (ii) appeal to the masses are exactly the criteria I am focusing on as I think about these gifts, which is why your post is very helpful.

Let me do I little research, and I'll get back to you as I start to refine my decision (and knowledge base). Thanks once again for your detailed post.

And watch this space.

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Buy an Adams. As beautiful a club as it plays.

6. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Also the new thing in golf these days (not just a passing thing) is the launch monitor. It is another instance of technology improving everyday life, in this instance golf :). Get thee to a launch monitor, where you can hit many different club head/shaft/loft/flex combinations, while the technician monitors things like launch angle, ball speed, backspin, and swing speed to get the club that perfectly fits your swing.

7. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You also have to take into account their capabilities and skill level and as such - the Titlesit may not be the best. Why? Titleist for example, is a player's club maker - normally better suited to the better golfer. A TaylorMade 580XD will be far more forgiving than the equivalent Titleist. Also subjective items like look and feel come into play.

For the average golfer I would look at
    - TaylorMade 580XD
    - Cobra SZ
    - Cleveland Launcher

IMHO - The Cobra is the leader of the pack.

I personally have a Titleist and really like it.

8. kenny

kenny Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2003
    Greenwich , CT
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    You're probably much better off giving a gift certificate... If this person knows anything about Golf and shoots a 15 or below handicap, he's going to want to try out different brands etc... before buying... Even within the same model, you can buy different CC sized heads and shaft options...

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Good suggestion.
    I highly recommend Cleveland Launcher 400 or Taylor Made 540 or 580. r7 is not bad, but still too costly (I am returning this driver) & w/ my inconsistancy, changing weight really didn't help.

Ghost, the person you are going to give a gift, is he well knowledged on clubs? What is their handicap? These could affect your decision.

10. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Yes, using a gift certificate from golf stores is a good idea, although most stores take back un-used club w/ a receipt in full value for exchanging a club.

11. Bad Chariot

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    It all varies from golfer to golfer. Perhaps instead of presenting them with the driver, give them a certificate for a driver fitting. It may not look as shiny and nice upon presentation, but it's kind of cool when they get to go and try out all the different loft/club head/shaft combinations to find the right match. While a golfer will cherish a great driver and the person it came from, so too will they remember a bad one and from whence it came!

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Michael,
    R510TP was released after R540, right? I remember T-Made going back & forth w/ numbers for R series. For cost performance-wise, I believe 510TP is better than r7 now. You're more devoted player than I, as I haven't paid to modify my shafts. I just buy it, use it, and if it doesn't work, just switched clubs to others. However, I have seen those orange shafts & heard Apache shaft from others. I have a friend works for UST, and they modified by Titlist 983 free w/ their ProForce (yellow & purple) shaft. I ended up giving him the driver as it wasn't for me...

Let me know if you ever tried other clubs, and if you liked them!

14. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    This is another good suggestion for golfers. Unless you're avid golfer, you really don't pay to do a professional club fitting. I haven't done this yet myself, but interested to do it someday.

15. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    If you play more than a few times a month definitely do this. Launch monitor appointments are only around a hundred bucks and it has HUGE impacts on your driving game.

16. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I usually play 3-4 times a month, (just got back from twilight play about 2 hours ago) so I'll try this when I make time. Thanks for recommendation.

Ghost, I just tried Nike Ignite 410 today through club's shop. It was pretty good!!

17. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'm still enamored with the ERC II (poked one about 310).

Shot 82 this AM.

DL

18. Bad Chariot

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael

Yoshi,

To clarify another posters comments. A Launch Monitor fitting session should NOT cost more then $50.00. All the shops in my area waive the fee if you actually buy a driver from them. The 510TP came after the R540 line. First, TM came out with the R510,R540, & R580. They offered a tour R510 which was 350cc vs 330cc. Then the 510TP at 390cc came out. I think that head is by far the best driver head ever to hit the market. It has a great look, the perfect size, and gives a long boring ball flight.

The problem that TM did is, they did not tip the Speeder 757 for the retail 510TP. Normally a clubmaker tips the shaft about 1/2 inch to make the shaft play to a true flex rating. For reference a 45 inch driver shaft should test to 260cpm (cycles per min) for a true stiff rating. R-Flex = 245cpm and X-Stiff = 275cpm. The Speeder 757 is a real stout shaft so the avg. player can not handle the true Speeder 757 specs. I have been told by several people who have higher swing speeds like mine (see below) is to get the Stiff shaft, tip it 1/2 inch, and you have a dream club!

As for the other equipment I have tested, there is a problem I have finding a good driver with a good stock-OEM shaft. Only the 510TP with the Speeder 757 and the Titleist Speeder shaft that came with my 983E were able to give me a good feel of the clubs performance.

According to most golf magazines, the average golfer drives the ball 240-245yds. Well I hit my 16* hybrid that far. I have been tested with an average driver clubhead speed of 107-109mph and a peak of 115mph. Under normal conditions (no wind, cut/flat fairways etc) I am usually 280-285 yds minimum off the tee with my driver. I usually reach 300yds 2-3 times per round (if I hit the fairway!..lol) My longest career drive is 345yds about 6 years ago but I hit 343 yds earlier this year.

Since I hate most stock shafts I will tell you the heads I feel that with a much better shaft could be solid drivers. Nike Ignite 410, Cobra 414 Tour Comp, TM R7 (for the 499.99 they should offer upgraded shafts at no-upcharge!).

I have not been impressed with anything Callaway put out since the Steelhead Plus driver. I do not like closed/open face drivers. I like neutral angle face so that I can decide the balls flight characteristics. Not really a huge Cleveland fan but I know lots of people like them.

Funny story from a 2002 Golf Trip to GA. I was playing this munnie course and there was a hold up on every hole. The group behind me got to see me have a career long drive day. I was hitting almost every fairway with tape measure shots. About the 12th hole, I ripped one with a beautiful right to left ball flight and the guy behind me yells "Doesn't that get boring?" I looked back and asked " What do you mean?" He said "Driving the ball that fu*king long ALL day!!!!"..Everyone had a great laugh. The tee shot ended up being 316yds but I duffed the approach into the drink and made double bogey! :)

Well enough for tonight!

Mike

19. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Sorry, you may be right about 50$. I didn't pay for it when my brother got it done, but there also aren't very many (any) around me so that might have an affect too. But yes, they do usually cut down the fee or put it towards your driver.

20. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I was the best Golf driver out there, 90 through 96, while I drove GTIs.

21. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Sorry Ghost, I don't mean to hi-jack your thread.

Mike, you're a LONG driver! We share similar problem though, as I often fxxk up my good drive by hitting poor approach shot, hahaha.

Thanks for your report on shafts & fitting!

22. Bad Chariot

Dec 6, 2003
    Reading, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael

Tiger,

I dont like to brag about my length off the tee..........but I can!...LMAO..j /k :)