You Only Go Through Here Once... | FerrariChat

You Only Go Through Here Once...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 134282, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    For the first time since it was created, s/n 17073 is finally for sale. That's right. The LAST original Daytona Spyder ever made is finally on the market... After going STRAIGHT TO a collector from the factory, this ONE-OWNER car is up for grabs... it's being sold EXCLUSIVELY through The Ferrari Market Letter...

This beige metallic over beige work of art has 70 miles on it - yes SEVENTY miles on it - and if you've got $750,000 for a 32 year old NEW car, it's yours.

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'd buy it, but I was hoping for one with 50 miles on the odo!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Horrors! A GARAGE QUEEN, although at least it was the factory's garage.

Just load it for Monterrey and look for one of the McCaws........

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Boy you'll go far working for Gerald with that hyperbole!

It sounds like a Sheehan Ad! LOL! ;)

5. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Carbon, need more info: driven in the rain/snow? Usual wear on driver's side seat? Smoked in? Road rash? How are the tires?

Help us out here, ok?

6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Yuck. What a waste of a fine automobile. Someone should be spanked.

Wanna bet that this 70 miles only original car both blows more smoke and uses more oil than my 65K miles coupe? Tell the owner I'll drag race him for pink slips ;) It would only add .25 of a mile.... shouldnt be a problem.

Terry

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, you're a hard man to please... Although, thinking about it, i actually wouldn't be surprised if a Daytona turned up one day with only 50 miles on it... Sad but true...

Speedy, that wording is not my own, i merely extracted some sentences from the ad to stick in my post...

WCH, it's got 70 original miles on the original engine, i HIGHLY doubt that it has ever even SEEN rain or snow, i HIGHLY doubt that the seats have ANY wear, i HIGHLY doubt it was ever smoked in or has seen road rash... i would just assume that the tires are in great condition for tires that are 30+ years old... i would also like to assume that the 70 miles on the car are the 70 from the factory... i don't think this car has ever been driven... It's a collector car, not a driver... The seller even suggests trailering it to events to avoid putting miles on it...

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice - Best of luck with the sale.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Terry I thought of you immediately on this!!

Don't wanna trade up?? Or is it more "the devil you know"?? LOL!

It was the FACTORY GARAGE it was in..where time stands still!

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Carbon I think you should get a Macanudo and go smoke in it.......

Maybe with a brandy...or heck, a GIRL named Brandy, whatever....

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Reminds me of when I bought the 25th Anniversary Trans Am, sitting snugly in the garage, in Madisonville, Wisconsin.... 50 delivery miles..

After completing the purchase, as rain and light snow fell outside, the owner took the license plates off, raised the garage door and I drove out into the night, for a twenty four hour solo drive south...all within posted limits of course...;)

Rolling into town, I had a used white car, covered in slush...LOL!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Post some pics man.

Theres a glass 308GTB for sale that color. I'd like to see how it looks.

13. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    The current owner wants the next owner to keep it as a "garage queen" which, IMO, kinda sucks. Shame.

14. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Man, this car really is a prime example of HORRID behavior on the part of a car enthusiast! Its also torture, cruelty and give a few more minutes and I'll come up with a few more good adjectives to this!

You know, these cars have souls. They are rolling artwork. Not just in how they look, its participatory artwork. Its an ongoing festival of artistic expression every time one is driven. Now here we have an example of a splendid work of art locked away and neglected since the day it was new!

This is like taking one of the most beautiful girls in the world on the day she turns 18 years old and gagging / binding her and then stuffing her in a closet only to emerge when she is 50. Not only a shame..... its downright criminal!

I saw where seller suggests just trailering the car to only the most exclusive shows... what a twerp. Oh well, some folks really do have more money than brains.

How pitted do you think the cylinder walls are given that it has not run to God only knows how many years?

Terry

15. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    I'll take it...provided you include a gasket kit and some grease monkey manhours. Has it had the first service?

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow! I like that 18 year old girl analogy, it's perfect.

Although the mental imagery is a little disturbing, like that guy in Belgium.. :(

I'd laugh if somebody bought it to use!
    The nerve "suggesting" what the new owner do with it!
    GAS THAT SUCKER UP MAN. HERE "BOY", LIGHT MY CIGAR. GET IN, BUFFY.

Don't you think they eventually DRINK Vintage Wine???????

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    For $3/4 VERY LARGE, you'd better get serviced too! :)

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hey, NNO! You really drank the Kool-Aid on that one! There was another low mileage one, in Marrone Metallic that's been floating around the NY State dealerships for a couple years. Man, for that money, you could buy something else, even more killer, with the dancing (oops, Prancing) Horse on it. You'd dare not drive it at this point, either, or that 400k premium will go right down the tubes. I love the Daytona Spyder, but i just can't see it. Then again, as somebody already said, there are people still sitting on '76 Eldo Convertibles in the hope that they'll be worth more someday. I guess i would rather have the Daytona. (But, think about the nice, i mean NICE ferraris you could buy at that price- a little low for a SWB, or Tour de France, but clearly in California Spyder territory- the long wheel base version is gorgeous). In fact, wouldn't it be fun to list the Ferraris you could buy instead of this one at that price? Regards...

19. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I'd buy it but it's not resale Red.

Does it have any service records?

Original Ferrari fuel and air in the tires from the factory?

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Maybe we need some information about Garage Queens and miles.
    My car is stared and run at least twice a month. This can be done without logging a single mile. So, a car with really low miles has not neccesarily just sat there for a number of years.
    Most people today that own Ferrari's have some idea of value. Especially a collector. I would think that anyone that can collect Ferrari's in perfect condition can afford to have someone push it out of the garage a few times a month and start it. Now of course there will be other problems if the car is not moved under its own power. But these will be much less than engine trouble.
    Now please flame on!!! ( or off )

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Glassman: I may be uninformed, but i was under the distinct impression that turning the engine over for a few minutes, occasionally, doesn't really do much to preserve the car (other than perhaps, to keep the battery alive a little longer) and may actually be bad for the engine; in addition, i don't see how that helps keep all the moving bits in the suspension taxed, the rubber and other parts limber, etc. Now, you may be right, somebody could, with enough time and money, entomb a car and keep it preserved. But, its then just a non-working mummy, and putting any miles on it would makes its "collector" value plummet like a rock.

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Regardless of what we all think, the seller will get what he wants for this car, and quickly, no doubt. As usual with him, it's a case of "pay to play or walk away."

23. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Wart,
    You are absolutely correct about suspension rubber parts etc. With all due respect, I can't understand why running a car to well beyond operating temperature a few times a month is bad for the car. I certainly think that it is better than not starting the car. I live in an area that at best I could only drive my car regularly six months out of the year.
    My work constraints do not allow me to drive the car but a few times a month, and not for a very long trip. What on earth am I to do?
    I put 200 miles on my car so far this year. This is a new record spanning the last 13 years. I love my cars and will not give them up. So any advise? Maybe a Ferrari trainer! Or maybe in a few years when I am dead and gone and my wife puts my cars on Ebay, you guy's can discuss what a pice of **** I was.

24. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think that it is interesting to watch the old "avoid a garage queen" attitude hit the garbage can when a car like this pops up for sale. All the Ferrari guys say to avoid a car that has been sitting and buy one that has been driven. Then when an ultra low mileage car comes on the market, they scramble for a way to possess the undesirable "garage queen".
    I'm sure none of the Ferrari guys would want that 18 year old babe. They'd probably prefer the 50 year old with a few more miles on her. Hah!

25. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Glassman: I'm no mechanic, but it's my impression that brief starts do more harm than good. The engine has to get to operating temperature, otherwise the starting and stopping can do strange things to the metal, to the lubricants, and to combustion by-products. Hence, the "Italian tune-up."
    Hey, no sniping at you if you decide to keep your car stored most of the time. But think of all the fun you are missing. By the way, the names, WHart, as in W. Hart. Not WART. That would be a bad thing. Regards.