Cheap Computers? | FerrariChat

Cheap Computers?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Dom, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I am looking for a new system for home. My last system was a build it yourself PIII system, that I did a few years ago.

I don't know if I want to deal with the hassels of trying to build another system myself.

Anyway, it seems like now it is cheaper to just buy a system pre-built from someplace like Dell.

Here's what I am looking for:

P4, 2.8 Ghz, 533 FSB (Will consider an AMD of equivalent performance)
    512 MB DDR SD RAM
    80 Gb 7200 RPM HD
    DVD-Recorder
    Sound and Video (OK if intergrated on the MB)
    Network Card
    Windows XP

I already have a monitor, but would consider another one if I can get a decent price (maybe even a flat-screen?).

I don't need a roaring fast system, and the above system should blow away what I've got now.

Anyone have any good sources that are cheap and reliable (i.e. won't try to bait and switch me, scam me, or otherwise try to steal my money?). Or, should I just stick with a Dell?

Dom

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    about 6 months ago I bought pretty close to the specs you listed and I got a Sony over a Dell for about 600-700 after rebates. Looking back the only thing I would have done differently is get one that lets the motherboard upgrade the video card to AGP. Other than that it has been great

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Dell is always a safe bet. But if something goes wrong you will be talking to someone in Asia.

4. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
  5. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Adam,
    Just out of curiosity, where are IBM helpcenters located? what country do I get transfered to if I have a problem with my IBM and call your 1-800 number?

6. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Anyone else having trouble logging into the IBM page? Would really like to see these prices as I'm interested in new laptop for college :)

7. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Its working now, nevermind.

8. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Most of the time I get US call centers, but I am sure we have follow the sun call centers, so some may be out off the country at night.