US Supplier of aftermarket 308 QV rims?? | FerrariChat

US Supplier of aftermarket 308 QV rims??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by LSU348, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is anyone aware of a vendor in the US that sells aftermarket 308 QV rims? The UK conversion rate is outrageously bad right now.

Thanks,

-Mike

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You mean OEM 16"s?

None, I know of...if they show up on eBay, expect to pay $2K +

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No, he means the aluminum reproductions made by Superformance in the UK. I want a set of those myself! Last I saw, the only place I saw them in the U.S. (I forget where) was selling them for much more than it would cost to order them from the UK, pay the shipping (about $200), and get hosed for the exchange rate!

Birdman

4. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
  5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I do not see exact matches there. Did you ge the ones in the first frame of your link? I'm looking for spot on reproductions. Per some above posts, I am betting the UK is still the best route even with the poor value of the dollar.

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike,

The main players who sell aftermarket rims that fit a 308 are Kinesis http://www.kinesismotorsport.com and HRE. A previous person also gave a good source http://www.usacomp.com/ts.htm). FYI: after MUCH looking, considering weight of rims, weight distribution of the rim (this is UNSPRUNG rotational mass), and how well the outer rim itself is supported i purchased http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/K27.htm that weight in at 17 lbs for the 8 inch (front) and 9 inch (rear) to go with Mich Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

Hope this helps. There is another choice, but the rims are WAY TOO HEAVY to even be considered. PLEASE remember rims are unsprung weight and one must "dance" the weight versus solidity/durability of the rim IF the car is to be driven on the street. Also, one should consider their suspension as going to 18 inch rims is a VERY BAD idea with the stock suspension IMHO (will avoid going into details as to why here).

PS: The Kinesis will make the THIRD set of rims for the car (stock crap metric, 16 inch 7/8 inch Etoile/Gotti, and now the 17 inch 8/9 Kinesis. Metric rims are for land fill, Etoile is for winter driving, Kinesis is for summer/track.

7. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    www.ferraripartsexchange.com was offering them (the reproductions of the originals mentioned previously), but I don't know if they're still in business (?).

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They have them but why pay more? I recently bought the SuperPerformance QV wheels and WITH shipping and handling the total was just over $1300. The ones you linked to are $1950 plus shipping!

You could also look at the 328 wheels that sponsor Ferrari UK has!

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

10. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Is there any need for modification to use the 328 rims from Ferrari UK? Right now that is looking like my #1 choice.

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Not sure about the 328 rims? I seem to remember a thread about them though and it seemed they didn't quite bolt right on. The QV Repro's from SuperPerformance bolted right on for me though. I think they look pretty good!

Check out the bottom of page two here... http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23638&page=2

13. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Update:

The new Superperformance repop 308 QV rims will be here 7/27. Note to all, Superperformance now used T Rutlands as their US supplier of these rims. Yes, they mark them up a tad but it did not take much to get the price just about exactly what I would have paid from SP in the UK.

Ohhh the bling is about to bite the big one. Now I have to figure out what model of BBS rims these are on my car...besides bling bling of course.

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    M. Elliot of SuperPerformace told me a few days ago after i had already placed and order that the wheels would not be available until mid September. i wanted at least one as a spare and told him i may buy 2. then i was informed of the delay and decided to decline and look for 1 or 2 used ones.
    not to argue , but i went back and forth a few times about some other things and he was very firm on the supplier availability.
    maybe its because i am a pain in the ass to deal with after i am insulted ( long story ) and they did not want to sell me " just" 1 or 2 wheels. too bad i just defragged and cleaned the recycle bin or i would have posted the emails. make sure before you spend the $$$$$$$$

15. ethans_dad

ethans_dad Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Stephen R Chong
    Try Lyle Tanner. He usually has a order in production, and often in stock. He's listed at in the index of most Forza issues. His wheels are 16" QV rims. Very nice reproductions. I think he's in the SF Bay area.
    Best of luck

16. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Super Peformance passed me on directly to T Rutlands. I has already been in touch with them. They are almost in your back yard aren't they? Same exact part Dubbya up there has on his 308. I have three tracking numbers from T Rutlands already, 2 for wheels, 1 for centers. Mark McClelland from T Rutlands is quite easy to deal with. I look forward to betting with him on the LSU Geoirgia game this year.

17. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    This must be something new. I just bought mine about a month and a half ago and I just ordered them right from the SuperPerformance web-site. No problems or hassles. The wheels, centers and decals all came in one big heavy box.

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    all i can figure is the ones they had were sold to Trutlands already and "on the boat". perhaps they had no more left to sell to the rest of us until they were restocked.
    i have 5 16 inch wheels and the original 14 x 7 1/2's ( not metric) but one of the 16's is destroyed and the other is damaged. so i need at least , 2 if i want a real spare. i am sure i will need more stuff from Trutlands soon. i will call and ask about a wheel or two, so thanks for sharing this info with the community! i will finish replacing the carb gaskets first thing tomorrow and re sync the carbs for the 100000000000000th time . at least the vacum leaks will be fixed!!

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mike -- Had the same BBS wheels on my ex-308 originally. I think there was a 1-piece version and a 3-piece version of that same design (but they have different designations). I believe mine were the 3-piece "RS" style -- but I can't seem to find the paperwork from when I sold the set :(.

20. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
  21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  22. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Do you have a web address or phone # for those wheels? $1300 is a good price.

23. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
  24. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I got mine from SuperPerfomance but according to earlier posts to this thread they will no longer sell them directly to US customers. Sounds like you need to contact T Rutlands here...http://www.trutlands.com/
    It also sounds like they are marking them up some. Good luck with your search!!
    John

25. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, 4 weeks ago this deal went into effect. You made it under the wire.