85 Mondial..where to repair in SoCal??? | FerrariChat

85 Mondial..where to repair in SoCal???

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by v-c-c-i, Jul 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. v-c-c-i

v-c-c-i Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    A friend of mine has an 85 Mondial QV and his timing chain/belt broke and needs to get it repaired. He got a quote for $6k to have it completely done with all the valves and whatever else it may need. Does this sound right or is he getting ripped? Is there a place I can send him to in order to get a better price? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada

Eugenios ferrari service..

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You have to have an itemized list of the work to be done to decide "fairness" vs $ (and know the agreed timeframe for the work). E.g., for rebuilding just the 1 head (especially if it's the rearward head and the plan is to do the work in-situ) and replacing the 1 belt only (no tensioner) with no other work and with a long time to completion, $6K is way too high; for doing both heads with all new valves + all of the other major service work (including a few extras) within a few days it's probably not too unreasonable -- JMOs.

Your message seems to imply that the bottom end has already been confirmed as OK to reuse as is -- is this the case?

4. v-c-c-i

v-c-c-i Rookie

Jul 23, 2004
    As far as I know the bottom end has been confirmed as OK to use.

Where is Eugenios Ferrari Service located?

Once again thanks for your help.

5. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada

He is located in the San Gabriel Valley Area. His number is 626-484-7933.
    Check out his website, Type in Eugenios Ferrari service, and look for MY COMPANY.. All the information is on there.

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Larry at Ferrari Technologies in Orange is a good place to go.

7. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    this is why regularly changing the timing belts is very very important

8. wmnewland

wmnewland Karting

Aug 3, 2001
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    Newland, William
    Eugenio's Ferrari Service is the only place to take a Ferrari. He only works on V-8's, and he owns a Mondial himself. Do what you have to do to get on his schedule, you won't be sorry.

9. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    91TR- Steve, its no bother to do either bank in situ on any of the 3x8 family inc Mondial.

If it's the front bank, then a few cam cover studs have to be pulled out on 3x8 but not for Mondials..it adds perhaps an hour or two to the labour of the job. In extreme cases, you may need to tip the engine a little, but only removing the bolts will allow this.

Unless it's a Mondial Cab...which are mthrfkrs to work with in situ

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for the clarification Phil -- I shouldn't have implied that it was not possible to do it in-situ (but I sure wouldn't want to try to get a 20-year old front head off in-situ -- and I thank the gods that people don't come to my doorstep with needy Mondials ;)).

11. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Again, even a badly corroded head can be removed in situ without huge effort...

As a last resort, I use a pneumatic hammer on the tops of the studs after a few days of soaking in penetration oil and have never been beaten yet....

Look, if you want to tidy your whole engine bay up, then rip it out, but don't be sucked in by any repair shop scare tactics.....