Love at first sight? (Ferrari styling debates) | FerrariChat

Love at first sight? (Ferrari styling debates)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Jul 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which of these Ferraris did you fall in love with the STYLING at first sight?

1. 612 Scaglietti

2. Challenge Stradale

3. Enzo

4. 360 (Modena or Spider)

5. 550 or 575

6. 456

7. F50

8. 355

9. 348

10. Testarossa, 512TR or 512M

11. F40

12. Mondial T

13. 328

14. 412

15. 288GTO

16. 512BB

17. Mondial 8

18. 400GT

19. 308 GTB or GTS

20. Dino 308 GT4

21. 365 GTC

22. 365 GTB4 (Daytona)

23. Dino 206 or 246

24. 365 GT 2+2

25. 365 California

26. 330 GTC or GTS

27. 500 Superfast

28. 275 GTB or GTS

29. 330 P3 or P4

30. 330 GT 2+2

31. 330 America

32. 400 Superamerica

33. 250 GTO

34. 250 GT 2+2

35. 250 GT California

36. 250 GT SWB

37. 410 Superamerica

38. Testa Rossa

39. 166

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    There have been numerous threads in the past few months lamenting Ferrari's poor styling of recent years... as if that is accepted fact. People don't seem to comprehend that Ferrari styling is designed to appeal to many different people. And differing opinions have existed since Ferrari's beginning.

Second, many of these threads offer proof of poor styling based on others' comments that the designs "grow on them". Again, I assert that it varies across the community, and the same can be said of Ferrari designs through out the years.

Inspired by F1Ace's post in one such thread, here is a poll to make this point clear...

Which of these Ferraris, just considering the styling, did you immediately fall in love with?

2. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    F40 over and over again

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    """"TESTAROSSA"""""""" MAGIC WICKED WILD AWSOME

4. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Sorry, the poll is temporarily closed until I can get Rob to make it multiple choice. Argghh!!!

5. Stolit

Stolit Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    La Habra Heights, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    This probably will not be a popular opinion, but the 360 is really the only one which made me stop and stare for several minutes the first time I saw it. I maintain that the 360 Spider (I thought the Modena would never be beaten...boy, was I wrong) is one of the best-looking cars, ever, if not the best. I still have, somewhere in my closet, the Car and Driver issue where they first had the 360 Modena pictures. That was where I first saw them, and the beauty thereof just astonished me.

All the other Ferraris wowed me to different degrees, but none anywhere close to the 360.

There are only 3 Ferraris that I've ever seen which I found unattractive, and they all came from different eras, so I don't think Ferrari's styling is degenerating (although I'll need to see the 430...if it's like the recent pictures, I don't think I'll like it at all), but rather, evolving.

But that's just me. I don't own a Ferrari.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Trying this again... bear with me a moment...

7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Note1: The F430 is not included as it would be unfair since most of us would be voting based on distorted spy shots rather than pics of the released model.

Note2: The list is not intended to be comprehensive... rather just to give a sampling of cars across all of Ferrari history... to see if Ferrari's ability to produce styling that is instantly loved by all has changed much over the years.

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great poll :) Looks like the 355 F50 are off to the quick start.
    Funny....I think ferrari had Lambo on the ropes in 1995 and could have finished them off. But they seem to have gone out-of-their-way to leave the door open by shifting to more conservative designs.
    I wonder what the 355 or TR would look like if Ferrari had kept developing it?

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Dino & 308 was the first Ferrari I saw in the US, and remembered them as Ferrari.

Ferrari was never in my purchasing option till 2003, so I wasn't paying much attention. Then a friend made me realized a price of used Ferrari was not much different from new Corvette, so I visited FoDallas, and REALLY LOOKED at 360 & F50 there for the first time. At the time, I ended up getting 328, then switched to 355. So I hope 360 or F50 is in my future purchase.

My problem is that I like too many F. I may switch to Diablo (I know it's not F, but I want to own a gull wing door someday), Dino, 512BBi, 550, 512M/TR (M preferred), or Testa Rossa.

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    F50, 250 GTO, 275, 250 Cali

Having any of them would be an absolute dream come true.

11. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Actually I love them all! If not at first sight, then definately after seeing it some more :D
    But the F355, Testarossa, F40, 328, 250 GTO and 250 California Spyder struck me the most so I voted for these cars in this poll.

However, I can clearly remember the days when I saw the first pics of the F355 and the car in real life! Damn' I was in love! Definately love at first sight! :D

12. Micronian

Micronian Rookie

May 1, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rafael G.
    (TESTAROSSA, 512TR) and F40. I fell in love with the testarossa at 6 years old watching miami vice, the 512TR cosmetic changes made it a bit modern so i love it just as much. and how can anyone not like the F40 design?

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    FORZA TESTAROSSA

14. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Lambo was always more exotic than Ferrari. As pointed out on Top Gear, you'd have to make a ridiculous car just to make some sense next to a Ferrari.

I can't imagine where all the complaints are coming from. No, the 360 isn't my take on a spectacular looking car, but I don't think Ferrari's are designed to score quick and easy. They are designed to grow on you. As you get to know the car better and better, you'll appreciate it more and more as a total package, including it's styling. The Ferrari doesn't need the styling to make the statement, it's just part of the statement. Styling is cheap when it's only function is making young boys drool at first sight. I for one am very glad that Ferrari didn't go that direction and never has.

15. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    The F355. When I saw it I thought it was one of the nicest designs on any newer car.

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I like the 355, but I am a little surprised it's leading after 42 voters!

17. smiffy

smiffy Karting

Feb 7, 2004
    cardiff
    The F355, one of the most simple pure shapes of all time.
    In 2nd place it has to be the 250GT California!

18. meantestarossa

meantestarossa Karting

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Ron McDaniel
    I remember the first time I saw a Testarossa in 1987, I just about lost my mind! The Testarossa/512TR/F512M has to be the most awe inspiring road
    car made outside of the F40 at the time. A top of the range mid engined 12 cylinder supercar that definitly had Lamborghini worried.

Since then Ferrari's designs have gotten very soft in my opinion. My next car will probably be a Lamborghini Diablo because I want another Bad Ass 12 cylinder supercar in my stable that my Testarossa can relate to.

19. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    The 355 is the car that switched me from the Porsche camp to Ferrari. I still remember seeing that first picture in R&T/94 and saying to myself "I gotta have this car no matter what I have to do." Other love at first sights were the 288 GTO, 246 Dino, 250GT California and of course, the 360CS. :)

20. atheyg

atheyg Guest

The 355 does little for me, it's too short, stubby and plain looking.

The Boxer was always the biggest stunner for me for the very few I have ever seen on the road, when I lived in Seattle I saw a Metallic Green 512BB that was owned by the Oboy O berto Salami owner it floored me, as I had never seen one in person.

21. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Excellent post, Brian! I appreciate it! Very good list, by the way.

First, would the three people who voted so far for the 612 kindly leave the site.:)

I am surprised at the disparity of votes from the 348 to the 355. It's amazing what some minor cosmetic changes can do for some people. Personally, I didn't vote for either, though I would be pleased to own either some day.

Beauty and art are subjective and controversial. It would seem that over the years there was always controversy since not everybody voted for all of the early cars either, yet I would suggest that perhaps it was because they genuinely didn't like the early cars, not that the styling was too "safe", as is the current day complaint.

Would people agree? Generally, were pre 1990's cars (non-F50/Enzo) were more radical, or less "safe"?

Best!
    Wes

22. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    No, I don't agree at all. This (see attached) looks radical to you? Absolutely beautiful, yes. Outrageous and radical and "unsafe"? No.

Look at all the 60s Ferraris. Look at all the side fins that EVERYONE used at the time. They ain't '59 Cadillacs, but the 250 TDF, the Superamericas - all of these cars had extremely "safe," period styling features. The 250 GTO and 275 - beautiful, beautiful cars - have styling that alludes to the Jaguar E-type. How about the 400 2+2 series? - very 80s in its boxy angularity. These cars had styling that went with their era.

Now, the Enzo - what cars does that borrow styling from (aside from an F1 car)? What modern styling features did they incorporate into that design a la fins in the 60s? I'd say current styling is distinctly "unsafe" - hence all of the complaints that people seem to have with it.

If you had never seen a 250 TDF in your life, and I showed you a picture, you would be able to tell me approximately when it was produced.

23. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I know that I'll probably never have one, but... I like a 275 GTB even better than the 250 GTO.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I bought the 1st one I fell in love with. 246GT Dino, saw it in 1972, I was 17, bought it 30 yrs later. Sometimes good things come to those who wait.

Modern cars - 355 and 360, and I love the 550, 575.

Middle years, Testarossa. What else! And the 308. Yep, Magnum had a big affect on me.

Hmm, my list gets longer and longer. Can I vote for all of them???

25. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    I agree with Dm n stuff, I mean you cant really pick just one. I think the two that really got me interested would have to be the 360 and the 355, just the lines and curves, so hard to beat.
    David