Shift points for maximum acceleration in 328 GTS | FerrariChat

Shift points for maximum acceleration in 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by techmogul, Jul 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. techmogul

techmogul Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    TX/ME
    Full Name:
    SCF
    Would appreciate any guidance from those in the know: Redline in every gear, or shifts at some point before?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Find out where the peak horsepower is in the rev range. You want to keep the revs in that area for maximum acceleration. So say max hp is 6600 rpm. Go about 500 rpm above that and shift, or if still pulls strongly go a little higher, than shift to the next gear. Basically you want to shift before your car runs out of breath. Your engine may rev to 7700 rpm, but it may take a few seconds to get that last few RPM, and in the meantime you could have shifted to another gear, and so on.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Redline, atleast in the lower gears, and I think in all of them. if you do a search, there was a very long thread on the subject in general. Basically, you need the torque curve and gear ratios to pick shift points. Torque at the wheel is what moves the car and equally the engine torque times final drive ratio. As the rpm goes up past 5500, the engine torque is dropping, so there is less torque at the wheels and the car does not pull as hard. But shifting to a higher gear also reduces the torque to the wheel because the gear ratio has changed. If you have a dyno graph for a 328, you can quickly calculate using the gear ratios from your manual and know for sure, but I'm pretty sure you will find redline is the place to shift, it is on a 308.