360 CS vs 911 GT2? | FerrariChat

360 CS vs 911 GT2?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Art, Jul 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art

Art Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Southern California
    Has anyone here chosen a GT2 over a 360 CS? I know it's hard enough to get a regular 360 Modena because you have to pay a lot for the markup, I can imagine how crazy it would be trying to find a 360 CS for a resonable price. The GT2 sure seems like a great alternative. Anyone driven both? Thoughts/impressions?

2. KNanthrup

KNanthrup Karting

Jan 14, 2004
    Issaquah, WA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd have to say that the GT2, although still major performance based would be a more subtle machine compared to the 360 CS which is more hardcore. It's all your own preference really... a GT2 would still make a great daily driver where as the 360 CS would be more of a weekend car... atleast in my opinion. As far as price, yeah GT2's are a better deal if you're wanting to put literal value into the equation. Then again I've never owned either so all of the above is just my opinion. I would personally suggest you take your intended use and preferences into consideration on this, go take a test drive in each, and then determine whether the price difference is a factor.

Good luck,

3. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    If you want involvement and passion go with the 360CS. If you want a scary-fast (and I do mean SCARY) appliance for speed on any kind of road go with the GT2. Get some seat time in the GT2: there are plenty for sale. I think you'll come away impressed by the speed but unimpressed about the sterile nature of the experience-unless you drive it at 8/10's which is impossible anywhere but on a track:) If you're planning on tracking the car I think that the choice becomes harder.

In terms of value for dollar, it's hard to make a rational argument for purchasing either.

4. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The CS has 420HP and 275LB.FT of torque and the GT2 has 480HP and 470LB.FT of torque...so thats a little different. There 0-to-60 times are both around 4.0 seconds. There is about a $30,000 price difference...so its a matter of performance or prestige...

5. fj0

fj0 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mario B
    CS, WITHOUT a doubt.

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    "There is about a $30,000 price difference...so its a matter of performance or prestige..."

I believe you'll find GT2's, ('02-04) from 135-160

7. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Im going by MSRP...

8. Avia1

Avia1 Rookie

Nov 14, 2003
    I think in a dead sprint or on the track in the hands of a skilled driver, the GT2 will walk away from a 360CS all day long. Ask Lonman from Gumball/Player's Run fame, he has a GT2, Gallardo and every other car at some point. What stuck with me the most with is that he runs his Gt2 at 200mph+ for day after day in these rallys and it never needes anything except tires. Whereas he said that a Ferrari mechanic worked around the clock attending to the needs of the Ferraris on the driver. Ferraris are beautiful, but finicky if you run them hard.

9. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    04 MSRP is the same on both cars.

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I don't think you'll find the GT-2 to be very suitable for daily driving; the nose spoiler is far too low, and when its set up as it should be, with an aftermarket exhaust, racing seats, roll bar, etc., is not only far from subtle, but hardly a comfort ride. The suspension, out of the box, is stiff, stiff, stiff and i agree, that unless you have very good juice with the constabulary, you won't get much fun out of this car on the street. The difference in torque between these two cars should not be underestimated. The GT-2 is an acceleration machine, as well as a speed appliance; when the turbos kick in, you are not driving the car you thought you were.
    As to which one to buy, i'll leave that to you. But, until you have driven one-seriously- don't assume its just another 911 turbo with a few fancy extras. (As to the CS being more "hardcore" i think that's another conclusion that's more about image than actual performance). Watt, who has been posting here, has owned both, so he should chime in if he catches this thread. (PS not pissing on the CS here, just letting you know that the GT-2 is a bit of an animal; i suppose you could drive it like a GT car, but why bother?)

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Owning a 360CS is kind of like having a chromed .38 S&W with pearl handgrips...............it does the job very well and looks good doing so.......and damn.....is it ever nice and shiny. Some people may be inclined to snicker behind your back however. I know better though.

Owning a GT2 is kind of like having a plain black .44 Magnum Desert Eagle.........it'll blow everything away and nobody will look twice because they'll be running for cover. And if you drop it, there's no chrome to get chipped or pearl handles to crack. People won't dare to look you in the eye and they will address you as "sir".

Go ahead.....make a salesman's day........

PS....I haven't owned either.....but have "a lot" of seat time in GT2's and regular 360's. I like both.

12. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    There is a 360cs vs 911GT2 Top Gear episode floating around and the 360 beats it in every test they do. The porsche just has similar, but not identical, performance so if you are only looking at price the porsche is a better option, other then that the 360cs took the prize.

13. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Ah yes, the often mis-repersented video.

First, the Video is of the 360CS vs the GT3RS (read, no turbos)
    Second, The Porsche and the 360CS had near identical performance (Porsche had faster initial accelration, but started to slow down compared to the CS in the top end).
    Third, The Porsche and the 360CS ran identical lap-times.
    Fourth, Jimmy picked the Ferrari because he likes Ferraris and doesn't like Porsche.
    And of course the Porsche, unlike the Ferrari, has no ABS, tractional control or any such driving aids.

And of course, lets all remember that that was the GT3RS being compared to the 360CS, which is not here in America. Oh and the GT2 has an extra 102 horsepower, an extra 188 lbs of torque than the GT3RS. The GT2 also packs on an additional 177 lbs.

Translation. The GT2 wipes the floor with the 360CS in terms of Performance, and price. Which is always the Porsche selling point vs Ferrari.

14. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Is it? Ok...well then theres no price difference...

15. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

MSRP, and Price it can be purchased for are very different things. From what I have heard, the GT2 goes for under sticker and can be had on lots, while the CS is well... hard to obtain.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL, you young guys are funny. One nice thing about being an old fart is not having to worry about bragging rights. I once did a top-gear roll on with the Maranello v. a GT2. The GT2 dropped 2 gears and spooled up. The Maranello just kept on going and going and going in 6th. Now, did I lift before it got serious? You betcha I did. They don't make a track long enough for me to engage in such foolishness.

Given a choice, would I rather drive a GT2 versus a Maranello? Not on your life because I'm not a big fan of turbos. Do I prefer linear power, and traction control to pure roll your eyeballs back accelaration? Every time.

But please, for all of us, be careful out there. There is no way that you should be using this kind of power on public streets. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

Dale

17. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

"Give me the keys Sir, we can't have you driving this late, and come on now back to the TV, Bonanza is on. And heres a glass of water for your pills"

;) :p

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Why thank you James. Feel free to take the rest of the night off...

19. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

LOL,

But yes I see and understand all your points (and agree with). I merely don't like seeing things mis-repersented.

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    That brings up another consideration, depreciation. A year-old GT2 has depreciated a whole lot more (I mean BIG difference) than a year-old 360, if both were bought at MSRP.

Gary

21. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    well, well, well uncle bill -

i must disagree with you in that a GT2 is a super daily driver; i drove my three [seal grey, speed yellow, slate grey] every day to work, round town, track, big high speed runs to Nevada, etc. may be low and stiff, but more than pays you back by being MoTheRF.K.G FAST. i leave my exhausts stock as i like the quiet whoooosh, and it helps make me invisible. 0-60 in 3.67, 0-100 in 8.5... much faster than a CS, if it mattered.... [well, i only notice it uphill in the mountains, and it's really noticeable then]

GT3 seats arent much different than CS seats... and if we could get the rollbar in a CS... not much there either.

GT2 is a serious performance rig, and if you drill the gas pedal in 2nd w/o skills, you will crash - no exxageration. smoothness applied produces one of the most satisfying and explosive performance drives in life.... so much power, such amazing grip, they just squat and go thru the corner way beyond your ability to accept that it can..... you have to work yourself up to its capability. GT2 is like a hotshot of pure coke..... better be ready!!!! a very satisfying accomplishment to drive one well... or at least better than when you started. posters trying to cerebrate what a GT2 is like w/o owning one are just p.ssing in the wind and wasting our time... get one, you won't regret it.

on the other hand, it's a Porsche, maker of trucks and fat, luxo 2 doors.

i commented a bit in the F vs P thread p 4
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21802&page=4&pp=20&highlight=watt

NOw, i prefer my CS at the moment because it suits where i am at the moment [readers here are not aware that i rarely drive a car for more than 4 months... but i may keep the CS]. it handles bumpy, nasty tight corners much better than GT2 or 3.. which are my daily roads. it's race bred. i believe one reason why F may have less carbon brake troubles is they have been racing them for years in F1, while P designed trux. it's a wilder, more exhilerating, ****kicking type of feeling. the car's no better if maybe ?? as fast [only one subjective comparison on a slow, technical track] as a GT2 at the track, but it's easier to drive fast and lighter and more electric... subjective but real. since being "fettled" as mr doody calls it, it's running well, daily to the office, to the track, etc.

i think you have to need bump/bad road handling as your highest priority to actually rationally choose a CS over a GT2 [not that i claim my CS decision was in any way rational]. some English guys on a March 2004 thread here reported that the CS was much more stable above 150, but i havent tried it yet. i will say i was not comfortable with the 2 lane wide hunting of my GT2 at 165 sustained for 20-30 miles at a time at the Gambler 100 open road race last year, quite un-nerving at my mediocre skill level.

a 2004 GT2 with 483 HP and 475 T is 195-213, same as a CS.... i always bought new 02's and 03's for around 140, making for the best performance bang for the $ in history.

22. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I wonder whether all the noise about the expensive cost of replacing the carbon brakes for the GT2 with an all-in cost of $27000 for all 4 corners must be causing a lot of owners to drop the car like a hot potato.

Apparently you cannot retrofit steel brakes to the GT2 due to some bearing related issues...

I know the CS also has carbon brakes ... it may be too soon to know its reliability and total cost of replacement.

23. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    That was my mistake, you are correct. It did indeed beat the GT3RS but I know nothing of the GT2 so I'll take your word for it.

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Theres no way in hell the Stradale can really stand a chance against the GT2. I have Car mag where the picked the GT3 over the Stradale. I have friends who also say the GT3 feels more like a real racer than the Stradale, I have driven the 360 and the GT3 and for me the winner is the GT3 over the normal 360, about the Stradale I can't tell myself but I think that in the GT3 I will lap faster or maybe both will be the same.

25. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #25 whart, Jul 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017